Power Quest 4 the 2busy

kopride said:
I seem to be rebounding nicely. My 2 x 20s are hovering around 238-242W, and I have been mixing in an occasional workout involving 2 sets of 3 x 3min @L5 (3min RBI, 8 min RBS).

My riding buddies are also stepping up to the challenge. These guys typically don't do much indoor stuff in the off season, but they have been on the trainer and giving me back their A game. I shouldn't share my secrets any more. They enjoyed their brief period of fitness superiority and aren't giving up without a fight.

Sounds like you are well on your way to a good year. Eventually they all catch on so it will make for an interesting ride with your buddies this year.

I wanted to say thanks again for the referral of Greg Lutz and Columbia SSH. I went to him about a 2-3 weeks ago. Initially I thought it was a waste of time as I was seeing one of his associates and he was again you are doing fine and keep up **** and we can change your meds if the sciatica acts up. Well the big cheese finally walked in and explained how the accident happened as I was falling and twisting. He explained that I am in the group where the herniation is too small for surgery as the risk is too high but will cause discomfort of various degrees in your life. I thought that would be it at that point.

Than he pulled out a phamphlet and explained the answer for me is a Targeted Disc Decompression where they insert a needle similar to a epidural and basically heat the needle up and burn the herniation down. He says he has performed it many times to people who have had pain for 5 years or more with success and it is the only procedure where people have had 100% loss of pain and had had no relapse. It is all about getting the needle in the right place. May do the procedure as it is not an operation where they actually cut any part of the spine so very low risk

I am going to wait till end of January as that is when the other doc said I should see the big turnaround. I am definitely much better as I would say about 50% right now but somethings not so much. Lets see but want to say thanks as it could be a life changer so I may owe you a bunch for it.

merry xmas and happy holidays to all...

-js

jsirabella said:
Sounds like you are well on your way to a good year. Eventually they all catch on so it will make for an interesting ride with your buddies this year.

I wanted to say thanks again for the referral of Greg Lutz and Columbia SSH. I went to him about a 2-3 weeks ago. Initially I thought it was a waste of time as I was seeing one of his associates and he was again you are doing fine and keep up **** and we can change your meds if the sciatica acts up. Well the big cheese finally walked in and explained how the accident happened as I was falling and twisting. He explained that I am in the group where the herniation is too small for surgery as the risk is too high but will cause discomfort of various degrees in your life. I thought that would be it at that point.

Than he pulled out a phamphlet and explained the answer for me is a Targeted Disc Decompression where they insert a needle similar to a epidural and basically heat the needle up and burn the herniation down. He says he has performed it many times to people who have had pain for 5 years or more with success and it is the only procedure where people have had 100% loss of pain and had had no relapse. It is all about getting the needle in the right place. May do the procedure as it is not an operation where they actually cut any part of the spine so very low risk

I am going to wait till end of January as that is when the other doc said I should see the big turnaround. I am definitely much better as I would say about 50% right now but somethings not so much. Lets see but want to say thanks as it could be a life changer so I may owe you a bunch for it.

merry xmas and happy holidays to all...

-js

Lutz is the man. Like I said, i don't do as much work up there as I used to; and I'm not sure he gets down to the Princeton office which is where I used to send folks for IMEs, but he is one of the guys that are very conservative and is getting people better, which is pretty rare in the world of low back pain.

Merry x mas and all that as well.

Still cranking away and making progress indoors. Last night was 2 x 20@ 230; Saturday was 2 x 20 @ 241; and Friday was 2 sets of 3 x 3 L5 sets @ 315 -300 (For me, the power always declines a bit from the first to the 9th interval).

Again, I don't really have the time or inclination to do a one hour TT indoors; and the weather is pretty cold to try one outdoors anyway, but I think my FTP is somewhere between 270-280, we'll see for sure when I get a nice weekend day in the 40s to do a TT.

I still tend to be ad hoc as opposed to trying to calculate TSS or other parameters, but the formula of lots of SST with some L5 sets mixed in from time to time, seems to work best. My over 40 goals are really to stay ahead on my buddies and beat the local bike shop owner on the group rides. When I start to get back to where I was before, and if I start to plateau, then I am going to be a bit more diligent about caclulating SST and CTL scores.