Power stats for racing

What about just raw power? Power to weight ratio does not tell us how fast you can ride on the flat and rollers.

peterpen said:
36 y.o. male Cat 3
65kg

Northern California

FT - 4.5 w/kg
5' - 5.9 w/kg
1' - 8.7 w/kg
5" - 15.2 w/kg

Competitive all-rounder, not much of a sprint, my wins in the 4's came in hilly RR's. Best result as a 3 is 8th - and that was three minutes off the winning time for a 45' hill climb. My #'s look nice on the CP power profile spreadsheet, but there are plenty of riders around here that are considerably stronger than I am. Not to mention all the ones that are smarter. ;)
Very similar numbers but a Cat 3 in Upstate NY.

FT - 4.67 w/kg
5' - 5.82 w/kg
1' - 8.73 w/kg
5" - 17.09 w/kg

5'6" and 60kg

wayne

BlueJersey said:
What about just raw power? Power to weight ratio does not tell us how fast you can ride on the flat and rollers.

Well, it does give you a bit of an idea since weight tends to correlate with frontal area. Unless you're an extreme example (say, FT under 225w or over 400w) I'd wager w/kg is as good a predictor as any number.

peterpen said:
Well, it does give you a bit of an idea since weight tends to correlate with frontal area. Unless you're an extreme example (say, FT under 225w or over 400w) I'd wager w/kg is as good a predictor as any number.
I wouldn't necessarily say that weight correlates with frontal area...

Besides, isn't there another thread dealing with Raw Power?

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t310978.html

I know that I have posted FTP, weight, 10mile TT time and 40k TT time...

Notice how you cannot predict my 40k time by FTP or w/kg alone?

Aerodynamics has a little to do with it... :D

http://www.coolmotorpics.com/57_Chevy_Burnout.jpg

Remember, it is still a brick... ;)

Jim

2nd year riding, 1st year racing, 6mos w/ PT SL, 42yo CAT4, 68kg

FTP 3.6
5' 4.9
1' 6.9
5" 15.5

No sooner do I write my stats down then I go and set new PB, 5mins is now 5.15W/kg, which is nice... Now just need to work on 1min power.

acoggan said:
You should, since it does.
Of course the important question is does FA correlate with weight to the same degree that power does =).

peterpen said:
Better than nothing for sure, as good as any...shrug.

Try a search for w/kg^.67 for a whole bunch of thoughts, without any clear consensus =).

Scott

giannip said:
Hi

I'm very interested to see any stats available for the racing scene in your area.

For example I'd be interested to see what power one would require to be competitive in Cat 4,3,2,1 etc.

This is just out of curiosity
Here in SoCal this is what I'd estimate...

In a small p,1,2 race (non-NRC)...

10+minute climb you need 5.4ish to stay with the lead group (which will have 15-20 riders in it).

5-10 minute climb, 5.8ish

Sprint is of course as much about tactics and positioning as power, but there are several guys that can do 18-20w/kg for 5 secs, and 15+ for 15 seconds.

In NRC races the numbers aren't that different, but there will be a few riders that will be able to accelerate briefly above those numbers and get separation.

In 35+ races the numbers are also very similar (perhaps 0.2 less for each climbing duration), but the lead group will be much smaller (usually less than 10).

I think for almost all amatuer TT's, aerodynamics are often the deciding factor. I'd say that in a typical, higher level, amatuer (i.e. p,1,2 or 35+) race, aerodynamics are a bigger factor in results than power (not that power isn't important, just that there is much more variation in how aero people are than how much power they can sustain).

Scott

otb4evr said:
I would have thought that build would have more to do with frontal area than weight...

Jim

Well, height tends to correlate better with frontal area than does weight, but 1) that's not "build", and 2) it's neither here nor there: this issue was whether or not there is a correlation between frontal area and weight, and several studies show that there is. Ergo, it is incorrect to claim that there is no such correlation (as, e.g., Warren G likes to insist), and that power in W is therefore a better predictor of level ground performance than power in W/kg.

Southern California Cat2

00:05 - 18.83w/kg
00:30 - 16.17w/kg
05:00 - 06.84w/kg
60:00 - 05.30w/kg

No results at the P,1,2 level to speak of yet, but only have 3 races at this level and my fitness has skyrocketed now that I'm no longer working 40 hrs a week and am sleeping 9 hrs a night instead of 5 hrs a night. According to smartin's data/experience, next year should be a different story hopefully.

acoggan said:
Well, height tends to correlate better with frontal area than does weight, but 1) that's not "build", and 2) it's neither here nor there: this issue was whether or not there is a correlation between frontal area and weight, and several studies show that there is. Ergo, it is incorrect to claim that there is no such correlation (as, e.g., Warren G likes to insist), and that power in W is therefore a better predictor of level ground performance than power in W/kg.
thanks Andy...

I guess I will work on my nomenclature, as when I said "build", I was meaning height, weight, shoulder span, how the person carries their weight etc...

www.dictionary.com - build
9.the physical structure, esp. of a person; physique; figure: He had a strong build.

I just don't get it. Had a lack luster year. Did fair in TTs. No places but at least in the top third in each race. For my cat 4 & Masters 40+ road and crit races though, I got dropped before each finish. Yet my numbers are for the most part better.

FTP: 4.35 w/kg (actual 40k TT 1:00:43)
5 min: 5.22 w/kg
1 min: 7.71 w/kg
5 sec: 14.62 w/kg

Guess I need to ride smarter and continue to try to push those numbers higher for 2007.

otb4evr said:
Male/Cat 3

Chicagoland

Moderately competitive in crits and road races

Very competitive in TT

FTP: 3.91 w/kg
5 min: 4.60 w/kg
1 min: 7.59 w/kg
5 sec: 15.07 w/kg

Jim

joule said:
I just don't get it. ... For my cat 4 & Masters 40+ road and crit races though, I got dropped before each finish.
A match analysis might reveal that you ran out of matches.

joule said:
I just don't get it. Had a lack luster year. Did fair in TTs. No places but at least in the top third in each race. For my cat 4 & Masters 40+ road and crit races though, I got dropped before each finish. Yet my numbers are for the most part better.

FTP: 4.35 w/kg (actual 40k TT 1:00:43)
5 min: 5.22 w/kg
1 min: 7.71 w/kg
5 sec: 14.62 w/kg

Guess I need to ride smarter and continue to try to push those numbers higher for 2007.
How much do you weigh?