Power stats for racing

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by giannip, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Lucy_Aspenwind

Lucy_Aspenwind New Member

And I quote....

"For most riders and racers, a match can be defined as an effort in which one goes over threshold ower by at least 20% and holds it there for at least 1 minute."

Obviously the longer the time period above FTP, the percentage above threshold power is less...

2. BlueJersey

BlueJersey New Member

I would also look at the 60 min power in the race to see if it is close to your FT. If it is and the race duration is close to 3 hours, no wonder why you are getting dropped. It can also mean that you are riding into the wind a lot and pulling in the front for no good reason. Burning too many matches can also lead to having too high of your 60 min power while you are not even half into the race.

3. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

A match is still a loosely defined term. While people talk about "burning matches" and while it's obvious that they are talking about anaerobic efforts, little has been done to quantify a match or matches per hour. One of the few pieces written on this topic is that of Hunter Allen referenced by jbvcoaching. I have done some work in this area, but it is proprietary at this time. I hope to publish my work soon and hopefully my match analysis application will eventually be incorporated in CP. I can tell you that match analysis of race files is very useful. One of the problems with analysis of anaerobic efforts in general is that the anaerobic recovery relationship is not completely understood.

4. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

If you look at the entire article, you will find that all efforts > FTP are matches. Obviously, a 1min effort at 120%FTP is not equivalent to a 1min effort at 110%FTP. Therein lies the problem, a methodology for converting efforts (duration and power) to a common basis for analysis. Having addressed this problem analytically, I can say that it is not a simplistic algorithm. Then, when you introduce anaerobic recovery rates, life gets even more interesting.

5. Lucy_Aspenwind

Definitely you are right in the gist of it being a loose term. Even though I think most people understand the concept and what is intended.

How about this though - rather than finding a common methodology per se, what about if, via training and testing, I find my capacity for, and ability to repeat, anerobic efforts (ie...matches), and then apply it to power files from my races and thus have a better basis for finding a reason for being dropped?

EDIT: just thought about it some more and realize that even if you analyze your files - 'quanitifying' and 'equating' what you've done in training with a race effort, being dropped, etc is not going to be a simple proposition.

6. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Well, the concept is simple -- matches are anaerobic efforts. I would disagree that most people truly understand matches and match analysis. Get 10 knowledgeable people in a room and ask them to define a match such that you can go in a ride file and pick them out (all of them) and you'll see what I mean. In terms of specific ride file analysis, the devil's in the details.

For training purposes, it's easy. Do L6 intervals to increase your anaerobic capacity. As to analysis of race files to figure out why you were dropped, I'm afraid it's fairly complex. There's simply no way to do it (properly) quickly and easily. But, maybe by the time you need to do that, a tool will be available.

7. Lucy_Aspenwind

Uh-huh, it hit me about 5 minutes after I posted that message that it was anything but simple...

Probably something will exist for this purpose by the time I need it, after all we newbies have it easy! :)

8. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

It's available today, it's just not available to you today. Maybe by the time you need it, it will be available to you.:D

9. zaskar

zaskar New Member

L6 intervals are not easy :) i did one session of them and was in the hole. i have never felt like that in a race. i have been lucky enough to have never got dropped from the lead pack. when the hills and surges come, because of my 134lbs i think I'm at an advantage. i may be at vo2 or FT while the heavy
    guys are anaerobic.

10. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

True enough.;) I meant that it's easier to figure out how to improve anaerobic capacity than it is to figure out how much of one's AC was used in a race. But, I agree with you that L6s require a bit of concentration. And, you're also right about the importance of w/kg in a race. It must be nice to weigh 134lbs.:D

11. zaskar

zaskar New Member

Yea i know what you meant, just being sarcastic. after that L6 session i was 130lbs for a few days :eek: i was thinking how in the hell can RD do this shit :)

12. joule

joule New Member

60 kg, 5' 6.5" Race age: 49 (2006 season). At least I get to move on to Masters 50+ next year. Not expecting anything dramatic as I've seen some of the numbers the top 50+ guys put out.