Power/Strength/LT Efforts 20min x 2 advice

SolarEnergy said:
I got in touch with the author of the study you quoted Warren. She (or he? I don't know) may come soon on this site to defend the study.

'Til then, I'll continue chatting by email.

You may want to warn her about AC.

Anerobic capacity, that's what I meant.

WarrenG said:

I'm sure she already knows about AC - anaerobic capacity, that is.

federal said:
Have been reading all the SE posts and low cadence thoughts on increasing power for TT and r a little confused (Also seems its been done to death).

I was advised to add strength efforts (20min) at a low cadence (45-60rpm) to program and keep HR at about 80-85% MHR. So i have a nice climb (7km long) on my usual 97km Saturday morning loop. So i have been jamming it in the big chain wheel and grinding up at the prescribed rpm/hr.

Now orignally it took 23.57min to get up... last week down to 21.58min. (taken 4 weeks). The weather has been pretty much the same and little no wind )

I guess i want to know would i have been better off dropping the gearing and increasing the rpm and hr to 90-92%max and make it a LT interval (and subsequently do it 2x) or contiune on the grinding? I have noticed on the se that the rpms have gone up each week hr the same (now is this actaul strenght improvement or nerve adaption) and have used the same gearing each time.
if you are improving then keep doing what your doing until its done and you dont gain anymore. adding any additional effort will just make gains that you are already getting continue until plateau's , for some people this workout DOES NOT DO ANYTHING yet for yourself and others it helps, we are all individuals and training must be INDIVIDUALIZED.

I try and maintain an average cadence in the mid 90s on most rides. I find the lower cadence intervals on the trainer (Tempo per CTS defintion) are good on an occasional basis. But I can feel it in my 42 year old knees the day after.

WarrenG said:

Hi Warren,
I am sorry, she already developped an allergic reaction to ac in the passed. Sorry.

I doubt that she ever going to join us.

Cheers

SolarEnergy said:
Hi Warren,
I am sorry, she already developped an allergic reaction to ac in the passed. Sorry.

I doubt that she ever going to join us.

Cheers

Bad for us.

WarrenG said:
Bad for us.
Yeah I know. Cause after all these debates about weight and SE, there are still couple of points that leave me thinking.

Not a closed file IMO.

You know, my next door neighboor, I really doubt this guy be able of climbing our Mont Royal (site of a women world cup event). What does he lack?

He would have to fight just to stay still. 1 kmh on the bike seems to cost him more than 1kmh walking. At least it seems. May have something to do with the circular aspect of both the pedaling system and the weels.

But if you put a stair on the side of the hill, or even walking on the road, he can get to the top no problem. Put him on a bike, he'll probably start going backward.

In fact, the more I think about it, most of my neighboors don't look top shape. Few of them would be able to climb that hill. Maybe some would even stop before being out of breath. Maybe.

Sorry I don't want to start a debate. I am just thinking.

SolarEnergy said:
But if you put a stair on the side of the hill, or even walking on the road, he can get to the top no problem. Put him on a bike, he'll probably start going backward.
People have an easier time climbing stairs because they don't have to keep continuous motion in their feet on stairs. Think about a cadence of 50 rpm. That's 50 steps *for each foot* per minute. Even without skipping steps (which I usually do) that's 100 steps per minute, which is a much faster climbing rate than I see from most out-of-shape people. Also, there's no additional drag on their unweighted foot while it's being lifted up to the next step (ie, no pulling through top-dead-center).

SolarEnergy said:
Amen, brother. :)

SolarEnergy said:
Yeah I know. Cause after all these debates about weight and SE, there are still couple of points that leave me thinking.

Not a closed file IMO.

You know, my next door neighboor, I really doubt this guy be able of climbing our Mont Royal (site of a women world cup event). What does he lack?

He would have to fight just to stay still. 1 kmh on the bike seems to cost him more than 1kmh walking. At least it seems. May have something to do with the circular aspect of both the pedaling system and the weels.

In fact, the more I think about it, most of my neighboors don't look top shape. Few of them would be able to climb that hill. Maybe some would even stop before being out of breath. Maybe.

Another two things to remember:

1. Your speed must stay higher while cycling than walking, otherwise you'll fall over. Do you think your neighbor could make it up the hill if he had small enough gears and people on either side to keep him from falling over?

2. Strength and power aren't the same thing. Just because he doesn't have the power to get up a hill, doesn't mean he isn't strong enough.

frenchyge said:
People have an easier time climbing stairs because they don't have to keep continuous motion in their feet on stairs.
Yeah, that's also what I think.

whoawhoa said:
Another two things to remember:

1. Your speed must stay higher while cycling than walking, otherwise you'll fall over. Do you think your neighbor could make it up the hill if he had small enough gears and people on either side to keep him from falling over?
The question behind this, is :
Given the same speed, is bike climbing easier, the same, or more difficult than walk climbing?

If I reuse Frenchyge's comment, I would be tempted to state that the lower the speed is on the bike, the greater the discrepency between the two activities (stairs, and bike).

whoawhoa said:
2. Strength and power aren't the same thing. Just because he doesn't have the power to get up a hill, doesn't mean he isn't strong enough.
So in your opinion, my neighboor would be lacking power, not strength.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I had an argument with Dr. Coggan recently about a similar issue. He basically came to the conclusion that strength requirement for climbing stairs was the same, no matter how many stair (at the time) you take. I had to agree.

In fact, he clearly made the demonstration that strength requirement wasn't the only variable to look at, while comparing those two activities.

acoggan said:
I already told you: you have to produce a force of at least 90 kg x 9.81 N/kg = 883 N to overcome gravity. Whether you do it one step at a time or two only changes how you use your muscles to produce that force, not the actual force itself (assuming, of course, that you don't pause more between steps when taking them two at a time versus one at a time).
But the perceived effort will be greater due to the difference in biomechanical, and also to the resulting speed, when doing it 2 at the time, even though the "force" to produce is the same.

Not everyone can climb stairs two at the time, the same way not everyone can climb a hill on a regular road bike. That is why at least for me, this whole issue is still ongoing in my mind.

And it'll remain that way until I can better understand all the variables involve, including biomechanical.

I thought you said you didn't want to start an argument? ;) :D

SolarEnergy said:
If I reuse Frenchyge's comment, I would be tempted to state that the lower the speed is on the bike, the greater the discrepency between the two activities (stairs, and bike).
The difference is that on a bike, the pedal force is still less than one's body weight because of the acceleration produced when one steps on the pedal. IOW, the force doesn't equal the weight of the rider, but rather the 'resistance' provided by the bike as it rolls up the hill. Any available force above the bike's resistance to motion produces an acceleration rather than a static force.

Relating this back to your comment, lower bike speeds are typically a result of using a lower gearing, which produces a quicker acceleration on each stroke and hence less static pedal force. But that would mean a faster cadence, too. If you wanted to compare riding to stair climbing, you'd want a very high gear so that the static pedal force would be closer to stair-stepping. That would probably create such a slow riding speed that the rider would need external support, as Whoawhoa mentions. It's not like people are moving very fast if they take 1 step at a time (~3 ft/sec or 2 mph).

SolarEnergy said:
I had an argument with Dr. Coggan recently about a similar issue. He basically came to the conclusion that strength requirement for climbing stairs was the same, no matter how many stair (at the time) you take. I had to agree.
I'd say a person needs to accelerate their body a little more on take-off while double-stepping, which would require a slightly higher peak force, but generally you're (both) correct.

SolarEnergy said:
In fact, he clearly made the demonstration that strength requirement wasn't the only variable to look at, while comparing those two activities.

But the perceived effort will be greater due to the difference in biomechanical, and also to the resulting speed, when doing it 2 at the time, even though the "force" to produce is the same.

Not everyone can climb stairs two at the time, the same way not everyone can climb a hill on a regular road bike. That is why at least for me, this whole issue is still ongoing in my mind.
When double-stepping, the downward force is required at the end of the extended (further) leg, which reduces the mechanical advantage of the joints. IOW, the leg/hip muscles have to exert greater force at the hip in order to produce the same downward force way out at the foot. That does require more strength on the part of the glutes/hamstrings. I'd say single-stepping also shares the weight better between both legs, whereas double-stepping is more like launching off the back foot (solely), and then standing up from a squat on the front foot (solely). That probably means more strength is required in each leg as well.

frenchyge said:
I thought you said you didn't want to start an argument? ;) :D
I am not arguing Frenchy,

In fact, why would I be? I don't need to. You guys are much more knowledgable than I with these equations, thus making my own point in a more efficient way that I could ever dream.

Whoawhoa and yourself are saying that in order to compare bike climbing, with stair climbing, one would need to have one person on each side to help him not to fall while climbing.

I don't disagree with that. No argument there.

Now, I will keep wandering (for myself) : What if that person don't want those helpers while climbing on the bike? What does he lacks?

Not trying to do a sell here guys. I am more trying to do a purchase.

frenchyge said:
I'd say single-stepping also shares the weight better between both legs, whereas double-stepping is more like launching off the back foot (solely), and then standing up from a squat on the front foot (solely). That probably means more strength is required in each leg as well.

How steep are the steps? How about if you don't push off with the trailing foot at all? Just use the leading leg to lift yourself up each step. Single leg squats/step-ups done with no more than bodyweight up a 12" rise, or more, is a fairly hard effort-not the same as the average step rise of 6-8" while pushing off from the trailing foot.

Do 90, 12" steps (45 with each leg) per minute in sets of 5' each, times 5 sets. Total number of single leg squats is 2,250. With a 12" rise that would come out to somewhere near climbing up 250 stories in a building. 7" step rise (average) would come out to about 145 stories. Easy huh? Oh, and before you do the stairs you do 6 uphill sprints of 20" each at 95-100% effort, 3' rest between each sprint. And after the stairs you get to do 3-4, 10" sprints. You have 2 hours to complete the entire workout.

Bettini and Boonen looked pretty good in MSR, eh?

SolarEnergy said:
Now, I will keep wandering (for myself) : What if that person don't want those helpers while climbing on the bike? What does he lacks?
Well, balance, if he's trying to ride a bike up the hill at <3 mph. Power, if he's trying to do it at a more manageable 6 mph. By the same token, he's still lacking power if he wanted to climb the set of stairs twice as fast as he typically would (ie, as fast as he might typically ride a bike up a hill). Basically he'd be jogging up the stairs to ascend at close to 6 mph without double-stepping. Certainly he has the strength to climb the stairs (ie, he could do it if he had all day), but not the power to do it quickly. Power = work / time.

WarrenG said:
How steep are the steps?
We're talking about typical building stairs (6-8" risers).

WarrenG said:
Do 90, 12" steps (45 with each leg) per minute in sets of 5' each, times 5 sets. Total number of single leg squats is 2,250. With a 12" rise that would come out to somewhere near climbing up 250 stories in a building. 7" step rise (average) would come out to about 145 stories. Easy huh? Oh, and before you do the stairs you do 6 uphill sprints of 20" each at 95-100% effort, 3' rest between each sprint. And after the stairs you get to do 3-4, 10" sprints. You have 2 hours to complete the entire workout.
Sounds tough. Good thing the pedal forces in cycling are pretty low. ;)

WarrenG said:
Bettini and Boonen looked pretty good in MSR, eh?
Bettini is my new cycling hero. I love watching that guy race. :)

frenchyge said:
Well, balance, if he's trying to ride a bike up the hill at <3 mph. Power, if he's trying to do it at a more manageable 6 mph.
Yeah but what about 3 or 4 mph.

Take 4 mph (6.4 kmh). If he still can't climb on his bike at that speed. What does he lack?

SolarEnergy said:
Yeah but what about 3 or 4 mph.

Take 4 mph (6.4 kmh). If he still can't climb on his bike at that speed. What does he lack?
If he can do it at 3 mph (with balance assistance, perhaps) but not at greater than 3 mph because he gets exhausted, then he lacks power. The amount of work performed is the same in both cases, and they only differ by the shorter time in the second case. Power = work / time. Therefore, same work but shorter time requires greater power.

Work is expressed in units of energy. Your body is converting food into energy all the time, but it can only do it so fast. If you're doing too much work (ie, using up too much energy) in a short period of time (ie, high power), then your body can't meet the energy demands of the muscles and that eventually forces you to stop. You lack power in that case.

frenchyge said:
Bettini is my new cycling hero. I love watching that guy race. :)

"New"? Where ya been? :) He's been great for years. I'm a little surprised he's still going so well. Garzelli is getting into some sprints as well. Not bad for a guy who has won the Giro. Guys who can do that are fun to watch. Maybe Hincapie can follow them to some degree.