Power/Strength/LT Efforts 20min x 2 advice

frenchyge said:
If he can do it at 3 mph (with balance assistance, perhaps) but not at greater than 3 mph because he gets exhausted, then he lacks power.
Let me confirm that I understand what you mean.

You are saying that the strength requirement, the force required to get my neighboor going, is well under his 1 RM (agreed).

You are saying that if he could maintain a proper velocity, he would generate enough power. By not being able to put this part of the equation to his favor, the poor neighboor sees his force requirement going up, as a result of a loss in velocity.

So you're concluding that the guy lacks power. Fine that's an observation. He lacks power. That's irrefutable in fact. Power drops, he lacks power.

If fact, here's the deal. The neighboor should be keeping a cadence high enough to keep the strength requirement lower. You're saying the reason why he is going 3mph, is just this. Not enough fitness to pedal faster. So power drop may also be explained by lack of endurance, or aerobic power and so on.

You're also saying, this guy should develop his fitness to address that limitation (velocity). Safer for the knees also.

But on the other hand, Warren, the poor lady with the study that is afraid of anaerobic capacity even if she did gather some *evidence*, plus this guy here :

Strength and Power
The relevance of testing pure strength and power in endurance sports such as the 40-km time trial has been questioned. However it is postulated that a stronger athlete will have greater endurance with heavy loads eg. An athlete with a 1RM of 2000N will sustain an 800N load (equal to 40% of the maximum) for 2-3 minutes, whereas an athlete with a 1RM of 1000 (equal to 80% of the maximum) will only be able to sustain the same load for 15-20 seconds (Sale 1991). Furthermore there is a train of thought, which suggests that strength training will supplement certain types of endurance performance (particularly those requiring fast twitch fibre recruitment) in individuals already conditioned for endurance activities (Hickson et al 1988). Therefore it can be argued that the assessment of strength and power are relevant contributions to the physiological assessment of the elite cyclist.
are simply saying that power = force X velocity. Why not work on both?

I can't have a solid position on this matter, cause what if they are right?

SolarEnergy said:
You are saying that if he could maintain a proper velocity, he would generate enough power. By not being able to put this part of the equation to his favor, the poor neighboor sees his force requirement going up, as a result of a loss in velocity.
This part's wrong, or at least kinda mixed up as far as cause and effect. For one thing, it's his metabolism that limits the amount of power he's able to generate for any decent length of time, not his strength or the speed at which he can move his feet. If you turn a Bengal tiger loose on him I'm sure he'd generate plenty of power to get up at least a handful of stairs at the required speed. He won't get up more than a couple flights, however, because his metabolism will soon limit the power he's capable of generating and slow his ascent. Then the tiger will eat him. :p

Sorry if I got you off track there, as I was talking mostly about the different mechanics of pedalling a bike vs. pushing one's foot against a stationary platform such as a stair. There is a difference in that the pedal tries to accelerate away from the body, which reduces the amount of force that is generated against the pedal.

SolarEnergy said:
If fact, here's the deal. The neighboor should be keeping a cadence high enough to keep the strength requirement lower. You're saying the reason why he is going 3mph, is just this. Not enough fitness to pedal faster. So power drop may also be explained by lack of endurance, or aerobic power and so on.

You're also saying, this guy should develop his fitness to address that limitation (velocity). Safer for the knees also.
Agree.

SolarEnergy said:
But on the other hand, Warren, the poor lady with the study that is afraid of anaerobic capacity even if she did gather some *evidence*, plus this guy here :

You should, if you want to go fast up stairs or on a bike. But as your metabolism starts to limit the power produced within your muscles, your force and/or pedal velocity will begin to drop until the new product of FxV is within your limit. Now, the guy you quoted is talking about very short durations (less than 2-3 minutes) and static loads. There is no Force x velocity equation in his statements because he's talking about a sustained force of X newtons at zero velocity. Maybe his statements relate in some way to cycling (I guess that's his question), but they certainly don't, directly.

SolarEnergy said:
... on the other hand, Warren, the poor lady with the study (about strength training improving 40K TT performance)... plus this guy here :

"Strength and Power
The relevance of testing pure strength and power in endurance sports such as the 40-km time trial has been questioned. However it is postulated that a stronger athlete will have greater endurance with heavy loads eg. An athlete with a 1RM of 2000N will sustain an 800N load (equal to 40% of the maximum) for 2-3 minutes, whereas an athlete with a 1RM of 1000 (equal to 80% of the maximum) will only be able to sustain the same load for 15-20 seconds (Sale 1991). Furthermore there is a train of thought, which suggests that strength training will supplement certain types of endurance performance (particularly those requiring fast twitch fibre recruitment) in individuals already conditioned for endurance activities (Hickson et al 1988). Therefore it can be argued that the assessment of strength and power are relevant contributions to the physiological assessment of the elite cyclist."

I can't have a solid position on this matter, cause what if they are right?

I think they are both right, but how they are each applied is the trick.

The quote is about what some call "strength reserve". In this context, if you increase strength then you can make more "power". IOW, if a person could lift 200 pounds once, they could probably lift 100 pounds five times. If that person trained to where they could lift 250 pounds once, they could then lift 100 pounds 8 times, or lift 100 pounds faster, etc. So, the work (lifting 100 pounds) times the repetitions over time could be stated as power, and power improved.

People try to apply this to cycling, and it is a useful idea, to a point, and that point is like what frenchgye is saying-that you need more than just muscle strength to perform in cycling beyond 10-12 seconds. You need the supporting systems to be ready to help with the cycling effort too.

My coach told me about this years ago and used the example of the guys racing up the really steep climbs in the Belgian classics we will see next month. Yes, it takes good strength to climb 20+% grades for a minute or five, but the effort will always include aerobic components (anaerobic too, but not just as a simple muscle movement with high force), so these must be trained alongside the strength.

This is a main reason why I do all "strength" efforts on the bike-to train both sides of the effort in concert with each other. Also for specificity. By adjusting some parameters in the training session we can put more of the focus/stress on the muscular side of things, or relatively more focus/stress on the supporting systems, as needed for the racing objective(s).

Also, when weight-training is done in the gym you must ask, is it for improving my ability to accelerate during a 10-second effort, or improving my ability over an all-out 20 second effort. If you want to be better at the 10-second effort then you'll use very heavy weights that will tend to activate as many motor units of your fast twitch/peak power fibers as possible because this is what you need for that 10-second effort.

For the 20-second effort you'll need some fibers that are more fatigue resistant so you'll use higher reps to encourage that development of your muscle fibers, and probably a little bit of the supporting systems outside the muscle fibers per se.

Back to your neighbor... If he wants to get better at climbing for 10-20 seconds he'd probably want to increase peak strength as much as possible and rely on strength reserve to get up some steps. If he wants to be able to climb steps for longer periods then the protocol of higher reps, essentially the SE/SFR training done in that lady's study may well be a good method.

Good summary, Warren.

WarrenG said:
The quote is about what some call "strength reserve". In this context, if you increase strength then you can make more "power". IOW, if a person could lift 200 pounds once, they could probably lift 100 pounds five times. If that person trained to where they could lift 250 pounds once, they could then lift 100 pounds 8 times, or lift 100 pounds faster, etc. So, the work (lifting 100 pounds) times the repetitions over time could be stated as power, and power improved.
This idea really seems like a stretch to me (not attributing it to Warren, of course). We've talked about critical power a bit recently, so I'll use a CP analogy. Similar, to anaerobic work capacity, where a separate energy source is used to explain the non-linearity of the power vs. duration curve at short durations, the "strength reserve" idea would try to quantify the amount of additional work that could be performed by someone with higher strength. To do that, I'd take a few points (ie, a timed effort of max reps x weight over a fixed distance), probably all less than 2 mins to minimize any overlapping effects from an individual with low AWC, to determine how much additional work that individual could do in a given period of time. Then, just like with AWC, I'd take that additional "strength reserve" and I'd have to spread it out over the entire power v. duration curve by dividing it by time for each point.

Now, if the individual can squat 300 lbs for 5 reps in a minute, great. During a 60-min ride at 90 rpm thats 5400 reps, so he's gaining an additional .278 lbs of force on each pedal stroke from his "strength reserve" (300*5/5400). Last year, before his resistance program, the weakling was only able to squat 200 lbs for 5 reps in a minute (.185 lbs @ 5400 reps), so he's packed on an extra .093 lbs (42 grams) per stroke. Assuming he can get the extra force to the pedals, he's picked up .66 watts over that 60-min duration by increasing his "strength reserve!" (Someone check my math: .042kg x 9.8N/kg x .1725m crank arm x 2*pi x 90 rpm / 60sec)

Did I mention that the whole thing sounded like a bit of a stretch? ;) Things tend to get lost in the extrapolation between a handful of reps and several thousand.

SolarEnergy said:
this guy here

I don't know who "this guy here" is, but I believe that he's misinterpreting what has been found in scientific studies. Specifically, while there is a relationship between percentage of maximal force required during submaximal contractions and time to fatigue, this is true only during isometric contractions at more than about 30-40% of MVC. The reason for this relationship pertains not only to the recruitment of more fatigable fast twitch motor units at higher forces, but also to the fact that blood flow becomes progressively reduced as intramuscular pressure rises in proportion to force requirement. The situation is considerably different during dynamic, i.e., aerobic, exercise involving alternating periods of contraction at a much lower percentage of MVC followed by a roughly equal period of relaxation, such that the results of studies of isometric exercise don't necessarily apply.

frenchyge said:
Good summary, Warren.
Did I mention that the whole thing sounded like a bit of a stretch? ;) Things tend to get lost in the extrapolation between a handful of reps and several thousand.

Yes, that is the relevant difference between an effort where it's pretty much just muscular strength vs. efforts that require many more things to perform well. Otherwise all those sprinters with huge legs would be good at points races and criteriums too.

acoggan said:
I don't know who "this guy here" is, but I believe that he's misinterpreting what has been found in scientific studies. Specifically, while there is a relationship between percentage of maximal force required during submaximal contractions and time to fatigue, this is true only during isometric contractions at more than about 30-40% of MVC. The reason for this relationship pertains not only to the recruitment of more fatigable fast twitch motor units at higher forces, but also to the fact that blood flow becomes progressively reduced as intramuscular pressure rises in proportion to force requirement. The situation is considerably different during dynamic, i.e., aerobic, exercise involving alternating periods of contraction at a much lower percentage of MVC followed by a roughly equal period of relaxation, such that the results of studies of isometric exercise don't necessarily apply.
Thanks Andy.

I don't know who "this guy" is neither, I couldn't find his name on the article.

Gee! I am having hard time trying to find some evidence in this topic.

I'd like to find papers where they asses strength requirement, force applied on the ergocycle. Ideally the whole range starting from 1RM (on the ergocycle).

Have you ever read such a paper?

Thanks