Power-Tap Pro...Campy 10-spd Compatible?

luna723

Jun 30, 2003
I can't seem to get a clear answer on this from any of the sites that I've researched; some say 'yes' while others say 'not compatible'. What is the real deal with these things?

Cheers,

Bob

Power Tap sell a Campy adaptor so that the freehub (which is Shimano) will work with Campy. I run 9-speed so i've not personally tried it yet, but the people i coach who run 10-speed say the adaptor is good. with 9-speed a standard shimano cassette works fine with Campy equipment.

Ric

Thanks Ric,

As you have posted previously, you personally use a Power-Tap unit. Just curious as to why you chose the PT over the other units available?

Cheers,

Bob

As it transpires, i have all the power meter units... primarily, this is because i'm involved in writing research examining the accuracy and validity of all the power meters. currently, i recommend the SRM and the Power Tap, each of these units has advantages and disadvantages. additionally, i sell PTs.

The reason i *currently* don't recommend the other units is because i have not yet finished testing them, and thus can't comment on the usefulness.

on a personal level, if i only had one unit, it *would* be a PT. The reason for this is, because it is accurate and reliable, plus it's very easy to move from bike to bike (useful to move from say training to racing bike, or between different people if you're testing them).

additionally, the PT is probably the easiest one to use.

Ric

I have used my powertap with a Wheels Manufacturing 10-soeed conversion cassette for around 18 months now. I have had no issue running this wheel on two different bikes built with 10-speed components ('01 Record and "04 Chorus).

The biggest issue when setting up the conversion cassette is spacing the cogset on the freehub correctly so that the smallest cog has enough engagement on the freehub (and doesn't spin under load).

I believe the Powertap conversion cassette is an American Classic part

Originally posted by gdeangel
I have used my powertap with a Wheels Manufacturing 10-soeed conversion cassette for around 18 months now. I have had no issue running this wheel on two different bikes built with 10-speed components ('01 Record and "04 Chorus).

The biggest issue when setting up the conversion cassette is spacing the cogset on the freehub correctly so that the smallest cog has enough engagement on the freehub (and doesn't spin under load).

I believe the Powertap conversion cassette is an American Classic part

What cassette did you use the adapter on? I see on Branford Bike's site that you take a 105 cassette and re-space it with their spacers, and end up with a 9sp Shimano 105 that is Campy 10 speed spaced. Is this what you did?

Thanks.

I have found full cassettes, but still no adapter as you describe, Ric. Bummer, because your description sounds like the easiest/best method.

Originally posted by Aztec
I have found full cassettes, but still no adapter as you describe, Ric. Bummer, because your description sounds like the easiest/best method.

erm... right... maybe i answered (the adaptor bit) first thing in the morning before espresso, or maybe i'd just got in from training... my bad. i was talking about a cassette, i'm pretty sure PT sell a Wheels Mfg one.

sorry about that :confused:

ric

Aztec said:
That's what I have now ordered, too. I don't know what I'll do with an 11 tooth small cog, as I'm used to 13! 53x11, wow!
A,
I'm bothering everyone who's posted anything about a PT PRO and Campy 10 Spd compatibility...
I was wondering if the Wheels Mfg. solution worked for you?

I've used this solution for the past 3 years and haven't had any issues.

The only thing you have to be careful of with the Wheels Mfg. cassette it to space it properly (spacers supplied with the cassette) on the freehub to avoid any chain interference with the wheel or frame.

jerryz said:
dura ace 10 speed cassette works great also.
i heard that 10spd to spd worked well - ie shimano 10 spd cassette worked well with a campy 10 spd derailleur. I'll try that option first with my LBS - and report back.

Thanks.

jerryz said:
dura ace 10 speed cassette works great also.
With a DA or Campagnolo Chain? I guess the new Campy 5.9mm chain would take care of that. This opens up a whole new thing to us campy people.

Spunout said:
With a DA or Campagnolo Chain? I guess the new Campy 5.9mm chain would take care of that. This opens up a whole new thing to us campy people.
Been running DA 10 cassette on a PT pro hub with record 10 speed everything else for 6 months now with very good results. Shifts well. At least I have no issues.