Power Tap SL issue

Watoni

Mar 16, 2004
All,

I have had a PT for a little over a year and it has worked very well.
The power stopped and it showed low battery in the head unit so the batteries in both the hub and head unit have been replaced, and I updated the firm ware.

Still, the hub is recognized and shows speed and cadence; however, power is always just a few dashes "- - -" once you start moving.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to solve it? I have an event coming up so I am anxious to get the PT back for the last 2-3 weeks of training (especially for over/unders).

Thanks!

Watoni said:
All,

I have had a PT for a little over a year and it has worked very well.
The power stopped and it showed low battery in the head unit so the batteries in both the hub and head unit have been replaced, and I updated the firm ware.

Still, the hub is recognized and shows speed and cadence; however, power is always just a few dashes "- - -" once you start moving.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to solve it? I have an event coming up so I am anxious to get the PT back for the last 2-3 weeks of training (especially for over/unders).

Thanks!
Have you tried just holding down the two buttons on the head unit untill it displays "find" and then waiting a few seconds?

Maybe you have it in cycle computer mode or whatever it's called...

swampy1970 said:
Have you tried just holding down the two buttons on the head unit untill it displays "find" and then waiting a few seconds?

Maybe you have it in cycle computer mode or whatever it's called...

I did push the buttons and wait for find since it indicated it would take up to two minutes to locate the hub after the firmware update. Can I nevertheless be in cycle computer mode????

Watoni said:
I did push the buttons and wait for find since it indicated it would take up to two minutes to locate the hub after the firmware update. Can I nevertheless be in cycle computer mode????
I'm not the most knowledgable on this and I don't have a manual handy - but I think there should be a little dot in the top left of the window and the words WATTS should appear next to the top line. If you don't have either of those then it's not configured correctly...

Well, my LBS was replacing a chainring and just dropped the batteries in and out again. Voila! Power readings ... not that I am complaining, but that was odd (and it was not in cyclocomputer mode). I should have power for the weekend!

Watoni said:
Well, my LBS was replacing a chainring and just dropped the batteries in and out again. Voila! Power readings ... not that I am complaining, but that was odd (and it was not in cyclocomputer mode). I should have power for the weekend!
Just a little off-topic here... but why are you having a LBS change a chainring and batteries for you?

swampy1970 said:
Just a little off-topic here... but why are you having a LBS change a chainring and batteries for you?

I was looking for replacement chainrings for my Campy compact that do not have the Campy 07/08 treatment (I was looking at Fulcrum or TA) due to shifting issues I have been having (the Campy 08 10 speed rings corrode very quickly with sweat/salt) and the mechanic wanted to make sure these fit properly and solve the problem.

Also, after having replaced the batteries and updated the firmware, I told the LBS (that sold me the hub and built the wheel) of my issues and they were going to try additional troubleshooting before sending it back to Saris. Hey, when he dropped in the same batteries it worked, and when I did it didn't, so who am I to complain?