Power Tap SL Question

AirRescueScott

Oct 17, 2006
Hello all,
I just got my Powertap and used it yesturday, I did notice the HR monitor was not consistantly reading. It would show my HR, then show nothing. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm suspecting the battery in the chest strap is low (who knows the shelf life of them), but wanted to see if anyone else had this problem.

Thanks

I hate to tell you this, but the HR receiver on the SL is a well-known piece of junk. If you continue to have problems, I suggest contacting Saris Customer Support. They will send you a new computer with few questions asked. You can wait until you get the replacement computer before returning your computer, so you don't actually have to ride without your PM. Setting up the replacement computer is a snap, just remember to transfer your odometer reading.

RapDaddyo said:
I hate to tell you this, but the HR receiver on the SL is a well-known piece of junk. If you continue to have problems, I suggest contacting Saris Customer Support. They will send you a new computer with few questions asked. You can wait until you get the replacement computer before returning your computer, so you don't actually have to ride without your PM. Setting up the replacement computer is a snap, just remember to transfer your odometer reading.
So do you think I should just contact them immediately if this is a known issue, and just skip the trouble shooting stuff? Does the replacement unit work better? Thanks again.

AirRescueScott said:
So do you think I should just contact them immediately if this is a known issue, and just skip the trouble shooting stuff? Does the replacement unit work better? Thanks again.
Well, you might want to eliminate the possibility that it's a weak battery in your chest transmitter, but I'm guessing it's a bad receiver. I went through a couple of computers before I got one with a good HR receiver. The 3rd one has worked fine for almost a year.

If you have a magnet on your front wheel take it off and see if that improves the HR reading consistancy. It did for me.

RapDaddyo said:
I tried to get this setup and they said I needed to give them the defective unit before they sent me the new one. Ironically i was living in Madison at the time. They said if i could stop by they would swap it out for me, but I was in the process of packing to move to SCAL so I didn't get around to it.

Personally I don't wear my HR strap anymore because I don't use HR to guide my training anymore.

Pureshot78 said:
I tried to get this setup and they said I needed to give them the defective unit before they sent me the new one. Ironically i was living in Madison at the time. They said if i could stop by they would swap it out for me, but I was in the process of packing to move to SCAL so I didn't get around to it.

Personally I don't wear my HR strap anymore because I don't use HR to guide my training anymore.
Hmmmm mine has this problem too, i tried taking off the magnet i had left on the wheel, i'll try changing the transmitter battery before contacting saris!

tk_bike said:
Hmmmm mine has this problem too, i tried taking off the magnet i had left on the wheel, i'll try changing the transmitter battery before contacting saris!
Mine works fine on the 2% of rides I bother to wear it.