Power Training and Exercise Physiology

ryanfiddler2000

Jul 2, 2010
I'm trying something new. I have considered starting a coaching business but have instead decided to start a training blog offering free training advice and explanations on the physiology of cycling. I am a doctoral candidate at Oklahoma State University in Exercise Physiology with a Masters degree in Nutritional Sciences, additionally I am a category II racer who has just recently started racing again following a two year layoff.
The blog serves several purposes: 1) because of my profession, writing skills are extremely important. I'm hoping the blog will help to enhance these skills 2) I view the blog as another way to improve my understanding of and ability to explain exercise physiology to others, I hope this will complement my teaching and research responsibilities and 3) I want others to have access to information regarding their own training for those who can't afford a coach or choose not to hire one and/or to help those who do have a coach better understand why they are doing specific training/workouts. If interested check it out at The Physiology of Cycling: A Training Blog
Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Keep in mind that you asked for feedback...:(

This is not informative at all and looks to just be another "here's my recent cycling adventure" type of blog. I don't see any new exercise physiology knowledge being shared here nor anything that might assist someone who chooses to not get a coach.

OK, I'll try to put some more substance into the posts. I'm trying to balance between writing posts that are too techinical and those that are simply informative of what the day-to-day training is like for an amateur bike racer. I understand that more advanced cyclist may not learn very much from every post but I think they too will learn something new occassionally. I also plan to post summaries of recently published research articles related to cycling. Thank you for the comment, no offense taken.

Have added a link to your blog on mine and will check back on occasion to see if you have new material.

Jesse

ryanfiddler2000 said:
I'm trying something new. I have considered starting a coaching business but have instead decided to start a training blog offering free training advice and explanations on the physiology of cycling. I am a doctoral candidate at Oklahoma State University in Exercise Physiology with a Masters degree in Nutritional Sciences, additionally I am a category II racer who has just recently started racing again following a two year layoff.
The blog serves several purposes: 1) because of my profession, writing skills are extremely important. I'm hoping the blog will help to enhance these skills 2) I view the blog as another way to improve my understanding of and ability to explain exercise physiology to others, I hope this will complement my teaching and research responsibilities and 3) I want others to have access to information regarding their own training for those who can't afford a coach or choose not to hire one and/or to help those who do have a coach better understand why they are doing specific training/workouts. If interested check it out at The Physiology of Cycling: A Training Blog
Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Nice work. One question: when you describe you interval sessions as, say for example, 4x2x2, what does the last digit represent? I'm assuming sets, but maybe rest interval....not sure.

320 FTP.....what's your weight?

The notation is as follows: 4 x 2 x 3 would indictate 4 intervals of 2 minutes each with 3 minutes recovery. I weigh about 160 lbs. I should probably use watts/kg but it seems like most people are more familiar with just watts.

ryanfiddler2000 said:
OK, I'll try to put some more substance into the posts. I'm trying to balance between writing posts that are too techinical and those that are simply informative of what the day-to-day training is like for an amateur bike racer.

Here are a couple of the best, if you're looking to hone your writing and technical:informational ratio:
Training and Racing With a Power Meter Journal
Alex's Cycle Blog

Why the double post? I see you posted exactly the same thread in the cycle training section...

... and while you're asking for comment you seem a little slow on responding :p

Yeah, sorry I wasn't sure where my post fit in best. Probably here on the power training board but I try not to only talk about power and watts, not everyone has a power meter and I'm trying to give general advice on exercise physiology so cyclists can better understand their own training.