Power Training burnout?

zaskar said:
Are you saying that is the reason I dropped them? lol. Well I won my first yesterday. The course had 11 miles of climbing, fit me well.
Heh. I was just about to edit my post to say that all the remaining riders must train effectively with their PMs at home, but then use their bling wheels for races. ;) Sounds like you whipped them though, nice job. :)

zaskar said:
TSB was -0.7 ATL 80 CTL 92

French, when you won last year what was your TSB?
All my wins have come during negative-TSB efforts between 0 and -10. I didn't have good results in my target events last year for reasons unrelated to fitness, and those were the only times that I really tried to taper to a positive TSB.

I take a break from structured power work. I think it is important to go out and just ride sometimes. Don't go by power, but use your PM for post-ride analysis.

I've found with a few athletes I coach that the PM limits true potential and training load. Go out, tape over the wattage (for those who I know watch it too much) and go ride hard. Very hard. You may be surprised with what you end up.

frenchyge said:
Ha! My target event is 3.5 weeks away, so I'm still trying to pound out that last fitness step with extra doses of L5/L6 TSS. I did have Monday off after the MO State RR this weekend, but TSB was still around -15 last night.

I was planning to taper up to +20 for a 50-mile RR target. Any thoughts on whether I should shoot for being 'fresh-er'?

I wouldn't. In fact, depending on how the race is likely to play out, your natural strengths/weaknesses, etc., even +20 might be a tad too "fresh".

rmur17 said:
you're welcome to your opinions .. but how do you know 99% of PM users treat them as a vanity item or toy?

Is this the best howling I'm going to get? I'm disappointed.

Ergoman said:

Us vanity-user types are all too busy laughing at you for your choice of powermeter. I mean, c'mon: using an Ergomo and, worse still, calling yourself Ergoman is like trying to score with the chics by driving a Kia and calling yourself Kiaman. If you're going to dress (your bike, that is) to impress, everybody knows that you need to get an SRM.

:D

acoggan said:
I didn't mean to misquote you, I just trimmed your lengthy post down to what I thought was the most important fact: you're apparently not using the data that your powermeter provides to change how you train for the better, so there really isn't much point in owning it (unless you're the type who gets pleasure from, e.g., filling up training logs).
Yeah, I know I was teasing you with my denial... the truth is I think I haven't devoted the mental energy towards really learning how to use it to the utmost. Funny thing is it seems I know as much or more than every other power user I talk to (excluding internet forums), which makes me think there are a lot of power meters out there being used even less productively than I use mine.

zaskar said:
Are you saying that is the reason I dropped them? lol. Well I won my first yesterday. The course had 11 miles of climbing, fit me well.

TSB was -0.7 ATL 80 CTL 92

French, when you won last year what was your TSB?
See this is what I am talking about... WTF is TSB? ATL? CTL? that's it, I am going back to going hard and looking at my speed. :D

Spunout said:
I've found with a few athletes I coach that the PM limits true potential and training load. Go out, tape over the wattage (for those who I know watch it too much) and go ride hard. Very hard. You may be surprised with what you end up.
Great so now we are condoning power meters as a bonafide data collection tool only. May as well have stuck with my Polar Power... of course I collect more data with SRM and now know that my 5 second power is not that bad after all. yeah that was worth $3000 :eek: .

Ergoman said:
I expect those of us that do use PMs effectively are already convinced of their utility. There's really no point in howling against those that don't, although I'm happy to race with them. :)

I can understand the sentiment that it is possible to get the same training benefit without one, but that's only because I've trained with one for 2 years now and could possibly mimic power training by using perceived exertion alone. I find that people who have never trained with a PM are susceptible to all the traditional cycling myths, no matter how many years they've been riding or at what level they have competed.

In my mind, using a PM isn't really a compromise to consider, since I don't suffer from any negative effects* such as those that the OP has mentioned. It's purely a benny for me, but I can see how others might not see it that way.

* - in fairness, I do suffer the weight penalty during races as a result of my addiction to power data, but that's the only negative that I can think of.

acoggan said:
Us vanity-user types are all too busy laughing at you for your choice of powermeter. I mean, c'mon: using an Ergomo and, worse still, calling yourself Ergoman is like trying to score with the chics by driving a Kia and calling yourself Kiaman. If you're going to dress (your bike, that is) to impress, everybody knows that you need to get an SRM.

:D
Wait so perhaps there is a higher bling factor with the SRM over a Carbon Campy Record crank... OK, you convinced me I am keeping the SRM. :D

wilmar13 said:
...which makes me think there are a lot of power meters out there being used even less productively than I use mine.
Now that I can agree with. Another rider on my team bought a PT and uses it on our training rides. Without his having the vocabulary, I have a hard time explaining to him how he should use the darn thing, or where to even start. :eek:

frenchyge said:
Now that I can agree with. Another rider on my team bought a PT and uses it on our training rides. Without his having the vocabulary, I have a hard time explaining to him how he should use the darn thing, or where to even start. :eek:

Send me his name and address, and I'll send him a copy of our book. :)

zaskar said:
I question what percentage of PM owners use them properly. At the races quite a few riders show up with SRM or PT. It use to intimidate me till I notice after the attacks they are all gone. I have not encountered one strong PM user yet. Did a race yesterday. As soon as the climbs started the PM users were bye bye.
If I get a PT I'm gonna paint the yellow computer case black so it won't stand out to those traditionalist eager to make fun of me for being a lethargic PM user. That is when I finally get one of course. :D

Why do they have to make the computer case yellow anyway?
Why not a stealthy black?

Felt_Rider said:
If I get a PT I'm gonna paint the yellow computer case black so it won't stand out to those traditionalist eager to make fun of me for being a lethargic PM user. That is when I finally get one of course. :D

The yellow stands out as a trade mark of PT. Im not making fun, im just surprised. Just like I'm surprised at the $2k wheels on the $5K frames with the rider with slick legs looking bad ass who's off the back. You find out who trains and who is for bling.

Felt_Rider said:
To force you to work your butt off or look like a power wannabe. If you really want some motivation, also get the yellow-hub PT Pro which screams "hold on to this wheel and then ask the fat ass on the seat how many watts you're doing..." :D

frenchyge said:
To force you to work your butt off or look like a power wannabe. If you really want some motivation, also get the yellow-hub PT Pro which screams "hold on to this wheel and then ask the fat ass on the seat how many watts you're doing..." :D

LMAO.

acoggan said:
Send me his name and address, and I'll send him a copy of our book. :)

My friends who have PM,s have your book. They use your book like they use the PM.