Power Training burnout?

cPritch67 said:
That led me to conclude that although I'd like to improve, is increasing my power and adhering to strict training plans really that important to me.
Good question. My PM helps me train my body to ride faster, but it doesn't help me understand why I want to ride faster.

cPritch67 said:
I like knowing my best 20 minutes, etc, but if I'm not racing is it really that important?
When it comes to chewing up hours or miles on a bicycle, is anything really that important (or even necessary)?

Those are questions that a PM will not help answer. I got my start in cycling doing MS150 charity rides. One day, while describing the ride to a friend, he asked "Is it a race?" My response was "If there's a clock or another person involved, it's a race." People either want to go faster, or they don't. A PM can help someone train their body to go faster.

FWIW, my burnout is over (exacerbated by an undiagnosed food allergy) and I no longer question the usefulness of my power meter. I would not want to be without it... I could probably train to power levels after having ridden it for an extended period, but without any feedback, no way to gauge progress/fitness. Now that I am back in good spirits and form, I would not want to be without my power data... and after witnessing so many others with Ergomo problems, and the limitations of having only one wheel with Powertap, I feel OK about my expensive SRM, besides at least I know I can sell it in a heartbeat for 80% of what I paid for it... best resale of any bike component ;) .

wilmar13 said:
I feel OK about my expensive SRM, besides at least I know I can sell it in a heartbeat for 80% of what I paid for it... best resale of any bike component ;) .
hah. lousy chance of that happening!

-Eric

Bullseye_blam said:
hah. lousy chance of that happening!

-Eric

LOL you obviously haven't tried to buy one used... but to be fair I didn't actually pay retail as one of my posts insinuated... but I could have paid full retail if I wanted to and still sold it for 80% of that:p ! :D

wilmar13 said:
FWIW, my burnout is over (exacerbated by an undiagnosed food allergy) and I no longer question the usefulness of my power meter.
I'm glad to hear it. If a guy with your results so far this year can suffer from burnout, the rest of us don't stand a chance.

P.S. Are you doing Mt Mitchell again this year?

--Steve

ZimboNC said:
I'm glad to hear it. If a guy with your results so far this year can suffer from burnout, the rest of us don't stand a chance.

P.S. Are you doing Mt Mitchell again this year?

--Steve
LOL, I dragged my clydesdale butt through the 95mile 3 mountain madness ride yesterday, not sure how I placed, but time was 4:53. Had a NP of 310W (AP 248W) for the total ride, ouch! To give more evidence to how a power meter is useless ;), on the first major climb I was putting out too much power to stay with the leaders and I knew I was going to blow, so in denial I kept on the boil until taking a predictable direct hit from the mountain artillery. Same as I would have done without one, but a whopping 200grams heavier! Man if only I had a Carbon Crank and bling carbon wheels I could have stayed with them:D . But later once I was on my own, it was very valuable in pacing... at least I tell myself it was since by PE I would not have pushed as hard, right?:confused: At least I knew that I burned 4400KJ so that I could gorge guilt free that night, that was worth something too.

Yeah I will be back at Mt. Mitchell... that doesn't hurt heavy sprinters like me as much because it isn't as steep. But I will still be coming in about 20min behind the leader :eek:

wilmar13 said:
Yeah I will be back at Mt. Mitchell... that doesn't hurt heavy sprinters like me as much because it isn't as steep. But I will still be coming in about 20min behind the leader :eek:
If you can stay within 20 minutes of Justin England, you'll be at least a few minutes up the road from me by the end ;) Still, if I see you in the pack on the way to Marion, I'll say hello. I'll be the guy wearing the duck (aka Aflac Insurance) team kit.

--Steve Zimmerman

I have burnout too. This year and last year my goal is to ride to only maintain my weight from overeating, and I try not to overeat much. I've never done a ride over 56 miles, and I think I only have about 580 miles total for this year. I love working out on Chicago's Lake Shore Drive, but I'm in Houston Texas - very boring place to bike for me / I don't like the bike paths here so I have to bike in the streets and risk getting run over so actually now I'm not biking much.

Hey wilmar13 - would you be happy if you had my 2006 CF Cervelo Soloist Team with an ergomo pro and Zipp 404 clinchers? <- That's my dream bike all from ebay (can't afford this retail, would rather have a car).

I like training with a powermeter because the variability of wind fudges speed as a measure of the quality of your bike workout.

And if I ever quit roadbiking - I would feel real guilty / stupid putting my expensive road bike collection to no use. But I can't quit because I eat well.