Power Training Using Tacx Flow Turbo

Wayne Jones

Oct 23, 2006
I have just purchased a Flow, which measures power. Does anyone have any advise on how to train using power with this turbo, in particular how to establish a FT level.

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks

Wayne

Well I'd say that this isn't very different compared to regular powerbased training.

But the fun really begins when using CyclingPeaks. In my opinion, you should purchase your copy, then use this file here http://www.cyclingforums.com/showpost.php?p=3048720&postcount=1142

to transfer your Tacx workouts into cyclingpeaks. If you need any assistance on how to use RapDaddyo's file, you may want to show up on the aforementioned thread and drip a question there for RapDaddyo. There's a readme file with his application. It's a bit long to read but it's fairly comprehensive.

I thought a world class FTP came with each Tacx Flow...

Wayne Jones said:
I have just purchased a Flow, which measures power. Does anyone have any advise on how to train using power with this turbo, in particular how to establish a FT level.

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks

Wayne

Squint said:
I thought a world class FTP came with each Tacx Flow...
Well not quite. I'm barely Cat 1 with my Flow's power.

You know, even if the unit isn't perfect, it's still a very motivating journey for someone who's learning to train with power.

I don't think power meters need to be that accurate in order to do what we want them to do : to motivate us to train harder and better.

But you're right. It does overestimates power, possibly be quite much. And it's not even 100% repeatable.

does it matter so much that it overestimates? It's really tedious reading all these posts knocking the Taxc power meter as if there are guys claiming to be world class when in fact the device is overestimating by 10% or whatever (that's a cue for some pedantic to point out that it's probably more like 20% or whatever).

The point is that if you calibrate the thing correctly each time you can see where you're at, see how you progress and set yourself targets. In the long term you could try and see if you can add 50w to your threshold over 3 months and in the short term you can use the meter to force yourself to stay above 450w for 5 minutes or something similar. As long as you're using the trainer to push yourself and seeing improvements it's a good thing. Accuracy would only matter if you're insecure about the level you're at and need the security of knowing you can (or could if you tried) hack it in your category....or if you're the "racing against yourself" type who needs to know exactly how you compare to a professional....

I've said it before but I'll say it again - by all means use the tools to help training - but the truest test of cycling ability is what level you race at and how you're doing. Train hard to better these.

BullGod said:
does it matter so much that it overestimates? It's really tedious reading all these posts knocking the Taxc power meter as if there are guys claiming to be world class when in fact the device is overestimating by 10% or whatever (that's a cue for some pedantic to point out that it's probably more like 20% or whatever).

The point is that if you calibrate the thing correctly each time you can see where you're at, see how you progress and set yourself targets. In the long term you could try and see if you can add 50w to your threshold over 3 months and in the short term you can use the meter to force yourself to stay above 450w for 5 minutes or something similar. As long as you're using the trainer to push yourself and seeing improvements it's a good thing. Accuracy would only matter if you're insecure about the level you're at and need the security of knowing you can (or could if you tried) hack it in your category....or if you're the "racing against yourself" type who needs to know exactly how you compare to a professional....

I've said it before but I'll say it again - by all means use the tools to help training - but the truest test of cycling ability is what level you race at and how you're doing. Train hard to better these.
I was thinking more in terms of measuring improvement and training effectiveness than having an accurate measure of my power. Ultimately, I know how good I am from my racing results. The main reason I bought a turbo was to help with training in the winter - the power measure is a bonus.

Is there a test protocol to establish a functional lactate threshold that I could follow in order to reference my power-based training?

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne Jones said:
I was thinking more in terms of measuring improvement and training effectiveness than having an accurate measure of my power. Ultimately, I know how good I am from my racing results. The main reason I bought a turbo was to help with training in the winter - the power measure is a bonus.

Is there a test protocol to establish a functional lactate threshold that I could follow in order to reference my power-based training?

Thanks

Wayne
isn't lactate threshold something that needs to be tested for in a lab? where they ***** your finger and measure blood lactate at different levels of intensity?

Wayne Jones said:

Thanks

Wayne
Read this http://www.midweekclub.ca/articles/coggan.pdf
That's a start.

And then go there http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/
and download a trial wko+

Then go there http://www.cyclingforums.com/showpost.php?p=3048720&postcount=1142
well that's mainly to download this ftp://lanmonaerial.1:[email protected]

Then transfert your tacx workout into wko+ and you'll be amazed on how fun training with power can get.

Then come back to this thread (your thread) to post your questions.

Cheers