Power Training Zones?

mullerrj

Mar 26, 2007
Wasn't sure what the best method for determining Power Training Zones? Should I use Lactate Threshold Power Value, Functional Threshold Power (FTP), or base it off Max HR, etc? Thank You Rob

mullerrj said:
Wasn't sure what the best method for determining Power Training Zones? Should I use Lactate Threshold Power Value, Functional Threshold Power (FTP), or base it off Max HR, etc? Thank You Rob
It depends on whose training schema you're using. If you want to work with Andy Coggan's training levels then you'll base everything on FTP. If you go with Ric Stern's zones you'll base things on MAP. I'm sure there are other systems out there that use other reference points. If you haven't done so, you should read Training and Racing with a Power Meter or surf over to Ric's site and have a look at his approach: http://www.cyclecoach.com/

If you work with WKO+ you have a couple of options regarding your training levels. I use Coggan's levels and like his system but like Ric's approach as well. Anyway there are a lot of ways to skin this cat so you need to pick a system and follow it.

Good luck,
Dave

Dave..right now, I'm basing everying on Coggan's training levels since it seems to coincide pretty closely wtih Stern's zones based on MAP..but that's just for me. I didn't know if this was consistent for the masses. Thanks again.

daveryanwyoming said:
It depends on whose training schema you're using. If you want to work with Andy Coggan's training levels then you'll base everything on FTP. If you go with Ric Stern's zones you'll base things on MAP. I'm sure there are other systems out there that use other reference points. If you haven't done so, you should read Training and Racing with a Power Meter or surf over to Ric's site and have a look at his approach: http://www.cyclecoach.com/

If you work with WKO+ you have a couple of options regarding your training levels. I use Coggan's levels and like his system but like Ric's approach as well. Anyway there are a lot of ways to skin this cat so you need to pick a system and follow it.

Good luck,
Dave

mullerrj said:
Dave..right now, I'm basing everying on Coggan's training levels since it seems to coincide pretty closely wtih Stern's zones based on MAP..but that's just for me. I didn't know if this was consistent for the masses. Thanks again.

for pretty much most cyclists, the two systems are fairly close to each other (usually only a few Watts different)

ric