Powerbar woes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by the black rose, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. In the spirit of trying anything that isn't likely to kill me, I decided
    to try having a Powerbar along with me on my ride this morning.

    First, I left it in my wedge pack and forgot about it. So I get home
    and think, Okay, I'll have this for my post-ride snack. Took a small
    bite (about 1cm x 1cm piece). And tasted peanuts. It's a chocolate
    Powerbar, by the way.

    I'm not allergic enough to peanuts for a small amount to do serious
    damage, so I chew and swallow. Except for the vague peanut flavor, not
    too bad (not good, mind you, but tolerable). My stomach was immediately
    unhappy. *Then* I read the label (yeah, I know, stupid for anyone with
    food allergies, but none of mine are life threatening, just
    uncomfortable). The ingredients, which do not include peanuts, were
    followed by these words in boldface: MADE ON EQUIPMENT THAT ALSO
    PROCESSES PEANUTS, NUTS, AND SOY.

    Well, I can't say they didn't warn me. I'm also allergic to soy, rather
    more so than peanuts. Within 10 minutes, I was cramping severely. *sigh*

    That'll learn me.

    I think I should start making my own.

    -km, feeling better now

    --
    the black rose
    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  2. Bob in CT

    Bob in CT Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 17:26:51 GMT, the black rose
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In the spirit of trying anything that isn't likely to kill me, I decided
    > to try having a Powerbar along with me on my ride this morning.
    >
    > First, I left it in my wedge pack and forgot about it. So I get home
    > and think, Okay, I'll have this for my post-ride snack. Took a small
    > bite (about 1cm x 1cm piece). And tasted peanuts. It's a chocolate
    > Powerbar, by the way.
    >
    > I'm not allergic enough to peanuts for a small amount to do serious
    > damage, so I chew and swallow. Except for the vague peanut flavor, not
    > too bad (not good, mind you, but tolerable). My stomach was immediately
    > unhappy. *Then* I read the label (yeah, I know, stupid for anyone with
    > food allergies, but none of mine are life threatening, just
    > uncomfortable). The ingredients, which do not include peanuts, were
    > followed by these words in boldface: MADE ON EQUIPMENT THAT ALSO
    > PROCESSES PEANUTS, NUTS, AND SOY.
    >
    > Well, I can't say they didn't warn me. I'm also allergic to soy, rather
    > more so than peanuts. Within 10 minutes, I was cramping severely.
    > *sigh*
    >
    > That'll learn me.
    >
    > I think I should start making my own.
    >
    > -km, feeling better now

    I've been using corn sugar (dextrose, aka one form of glucose) for a while
    now. You can find it at a beer brewing store. I paid $1/pound and take
    in about 20 grams an hour for my long rides. I also use Whey protein for
    longer rides. This allows me to control what's in my drinks/food as
    opposed to the bars (I do, however, use the bars for those 4-5 hour rides
    when liquid just isn't enough).

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  3. On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 17:26:51 +0000, the black rose wrote:

    > and think, Okay, I'll have this for my post-ride snack. Took a small
    > bite (about 1cm x 1cm piece). And tasted peanuts. It's a chocolate
    > Powerbar, by the way.
    >
    > I'm not allergic enough to peanuts for a small amount to do serious
    > damage, so I chew and swallow. Except for the vague peanut flavor, not
    > too bad (not good, mind you, but tolerable). My stomach was immediately
    > unhappy. *Then* I read the label (yeah, I know, stupid for anyone with
    > food allergies, but none of mine are life threatening, just
    > uncomfortable). The ingredients, which do not include peanuts, were
    > followed by these words in boldface: MADE ON EQUIPMENT THAT ALSO
    > PROCESSES PEANUTS, NUTS, AND SOY.

    Well, I too am allergic to peanuts and soy. Rather common allergies,
    caused, I believe, by massive over-exposure to these things. I have not
    had trouble with regular Power Bars -- the chewy kind that, oddly, look
    like they've already been chewed to a pulp. But I have to avoid like the
    plague the better-tasting and better-textured versions, since they all
    have large quantities of soy.

    I certainly have not noticed any peanut flavor in the chocolate ones.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and
    _`\(,_ | Excellence.
    (_)/ (_) |

  4. "the black rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In the spirit of trying anything that isn't likely to kill me, I decided
    > to try having a Powerbar along with me on my ride this morning.
    >
    > First, I left it in my wedge pack and forgot about it. So I get home
    > and think, Okay, I'll have this for my post-ride snack. Took a small
    > bite (about 1cm x 1cm piece). And tasted peanuts. It's a chocolate
    > Powerbar, by the way.
    >
    > I'm not allergic enough to peanuts for a small amount to do serious
    > damage, so I chew and swallow. Except for the vague peanut flavor, not
    > too bad (not good, mind you, but tolerable). My stomach was immediately
    > unhappy. *Then* I read the label (yeah, I know, stupid for anyone with
    > food allergies, but none of mine are life threatening, just
    > uncomfortable). The ingredients, which do not include peanuts, were
    > followed by these words in boldface: MADE ON EQUIPMENT THAT ALSO
    > PROCESSES PEANUTS, NUTS, AND SOY.
    >
    > Well, I can't say they didn't warn me. I'm also allergic to soy, rather
    > more so than peanuts. Within 10 minutes, I was cramping severely. *sigh*
    >
    > That'll learn me.
    >
    > I think I should start making my own.
    >
    > -km, feeling better now

    Good to know. I'm not allergic to peanuts, just pistachios and cashews,
    which aren't likely to be used in those bars. However, there are other bars
    which are okay. I can also tell if I'm allergic to anything in the bars, my
    mouth gets itchy. Fortunately, I'm also not allergic enough to be in fear
    for my life, but it's just unpleasant. I find that Luna bars and Balance
    bars are okay.

    However, no pistachios means no baklava, and that really hurts.

  5. Marlene Blanshay wrote:
    > However, no pistachios means no baklava, and that really hurts.

    Ow!

    Avocados make my mouth itch and get blisters, which means no guacamole.
    Hardly the same scale as being forbidden baklava.

    Perhaps you could learn to make baklava, and substitute a nut of your
    choice for the pistachios? It wouldn't taste quite the same, but it
    would certainly be delicious.

    -km

    --
    the black rose
    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  6. Steve Knight

    Steve Knight Guest

    right now I can't have any type of sugars grains or starch. you think avoiding
    peanuts and soy is hard. sugar is in everything. even in a can of peas. sorbital
    and maltital are out too.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

  7. "the black rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Marlene Blanshay wrote:
    > > However, no pistachios means no baklava, and that really hurts.

    > Ow!

    I'd be fine if the baklava didn't have walnuts, which I'm allergic to, and
    only had pisachios.

    > Hardly the same scale as being forbidden baklava.
    >
    > Perhaps you could learn to make baklava, and substitute a nut of your
    > choice for the pistachios? It wouldn't taste quite the same, but it
    > would certainly be delicious.

    Then you'd have to make it -- none of this being tempted by it as it sits in
    the deli case.

    Balaclavas, that's a different story.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  8. "the black rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Marlene Blanshay wrote:
    > > However, no pistachios means no baklava, and that really hurts.

    > Ow!
    >
    > Avocados make my mouth itch and get blisters, which means no guacamole.
    > Hardly the same scale as being forbidden baklava.
    >
    > Perhaps you could learn to make baklava, and substitute a nut of your
    > choice for the pistachios? It wouldn't taste quite the same, but it
    > would certainly be delicious.
    >
    > -km

    So then what's the point? I guess I'll just have to accept it. And making
    baklava is not easy!

  9. the black rose <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Avocados make my mouth itch and get blisters, which means no guacamole.
    > Hardly the same scale as being forbidden baklava.

    mon dieu! i would sooner starve to death than live a life without avacados.
    baklava is certainly tasty but avacados are something else entirely. a
    gift from the gods for vegetarians. it's up there with portabello mushrooms
    and eggplants. incomparable to a mere dessert.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  10. "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > the black rose <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Avocados make my mouth itch and get blisters, which means no guacamole.
    > > Hardly the same scale as being forbidden baklava.

    > mon dieu! i would sooner starve to death than live a life without

    avacados.
    > baklava is certainly tasty but avacados are something else entirely. a
    > gift from the gods for vegetarians. it's up there with portabello

    mushrooms
    > and eggplants. incomparable to a mere dessert.

    I believe that avocados are also recommended to cyclists because of their
    vitamin and especially potassium content -- higher than bananas. Of course,
    it's their fat content that makes them so tasty -- but isn't it one of those
    "good" fats?

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:

  11. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    the black rose <[email protected]> writes:

    > I think I should start making my own.

    I've set out to make powerbars a few times. But each time,
    I figured 'in for a dime; in for a dollar', and ended up
    making cookies or date-nut loaf instead.

    cheers,
    Tom