Powerbeam Training

woodmanr

Dec 26, 2009
I'm just looking for some very basic "instructions" on how to train with a powermeter based indoor trainer

I'm new to cycling (8 months) and super new to indoor training (since christmas). So far, the extent of my "training" has just been get on the bike and do miles. I ride with my dad who is faster, so i push myself to try to stay with him. I'm a big guy, and hills are my mortal enemy.

So when i get on the trainer, i basically have ZERO idea of what to do besides just get on and ride. I've read about interval training and such, but have never had anyone really tell me about it. I did a power test on it, and was able to do 170watts for 3 minutes after a 30 minute ride and was tired, but could have kept going at an easier pace afterwards. I've done 250 for 3 minutes, but was absolutely dead afterwards.

If anyone could give me some basic pointers, that would be great. If i want to ride at say 100% for a minute, and then back down to 30% for 2 minutes or should i do like 100% and then down to 80%?

Hmmm. First things first. 2 simple questions:
1. Ever heard about Functional Threshold Power, or FTP?
2. Your new toy. Can it generate a workout file (*)?

(*) A workout file would be generated if your toy can record your workout. Ideally, this is done by taking a picture every x number of seconds (the shorter the interval the better). Full blown power meters nowadays can record just about everything, from power of course to HR, altitude (not very relevant when training indoor), cadence etc...

woodmanr said:
I'm just looking for some very basic "instructions" on how to train with a powermeter based indoor trainer

I'm new to cycling (8 months) and super new to indoor training (since christmas). So far, the extent of my "training" has just been get on the bike and do miles. I ride with my dad who is faster, so i push myself to try to stay with him. I'm a big guy, and hills are my mortal enemy.

So when i get on the trainer, i basically have ZERO idea of what to do besides just get on and ride. I've read about interval training and such, but have never had anyone really tell me about it. I did a power test on it, and was able to do 170watts for 3 minutes after a 30 minute ride and was tired, but could have kept going at an easier pace afterwards. I've done 250 for 3 minutes, but was absolutely dead afterwards.

If anyone could give me some basic pointers, that would be great. If i want to ride at say 100% for a minute, and then back down to 30% for 2 minutes or should i do like 100% and then down to 80%?
Well, there's lots of places to start but here's a few for some ideas:
Understanding Power
Indoor Training
Interval Training

SolarEnergy said:

(*) A workout file would be generated if your toy can record your workout. Ideally, this is done by taking a picture every x number of seconds (the shorter the interval the better). Full blown power meters nowadays can record just about everything, from power of course to HR, altitude (not very relevant when training indoor), cadence etc...

Yes, it records the full workout. I currently have it paired to my garmin 705 also, so i get two workout files from them

SolarEnergy said:

Yes, it records the full workout. I currently have it paired to my garmin 705 also, so i get two workout files from them