PowerCranks Indoors

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by wiredued, Feb 18, 2010.

1. wiredued

wiredued New Member

I've been training indoors for a while using free motion rollers it seems to help keep things interesting. If you use equipment that makes you concentrate on what you are doing instead of where you are it makes a difference. Now I am looking at PowerCranks in the same light has anyone experienced this using them indoors? Has anyone attempted to use them out of the saddle on FMRs? On a side note I see some people in the PowerCranks videos who say PowerCranks are for running. Could you really train for running using a bike? It would be a more comfortable way to train for a running event for sure.

Tags:

2. fergie

fergie Member

Yes, I'm off for a round of Golf because I think I need to work on my back hand for Tennis.

3. bobdejonge

bobdejonge New Member

Wow, I think this would be an interesting challenge. I've never used the power cranks -- these are the cranks where the left & right can rotate independently, correct?
    If so, again, no first hand knowledge with them, but they look interesting. I've used rollers over winter my whole cycling life, and agree they're highly beneficial. Using these cranks on rollers could demand a new learning curve! Have fun!

4. Fday

Fday New Member

As the inventor let me say that PowerCranks work fine with rollers once you are up to speed on them. You can go to our web site or youtube and watch some videos of people trying out their first ride on the PC's on rollers. The problem is they are trying to think about pedaling and they can't think about staying on the rollers. Once the PC pedaling motion is understood and the least bit "ingrained" then rollers become possible. Some do this very quickly and others take more time.

5. wiredued

wiredued New Member

Thanks for the reply Frank... I can't think of anyone better than the inventor to attempt riding out of the saddle on free motion rollers while using PowerCranks. So how about it can that be the next video on your web site?:)

6. Tapeworm

Tapeworm New Member

The best way to training for running is to run. I don't mean to sound pithy but the body adapts best to that which it is exposed, ie: if you want to be a good runner, then run. If you want to be a good swimmer, you swim etc.

Do some searches on this forum for the wonderful arguments about the benefits or detrimental effects of powercranks.

If you are bored on the rollers try getting a power meter and try to hold wattages for certain time periods (as part of scheduled training program). Probably more conducive to your training in the long term as well...

7. hammonjj

hammonjj New Member

And the only way to get better at football is to play football, right? This old school of thinking is quickly dying...

8. Tapeworm

Tapeworm New Member

You'll have to elaborate on what is "old schol" about specificty of training. Depending on which discipline you are referring to but Australian Rules players don't practice kicking with a rugby ball, soccer players don't pratice drop kicks, and cyclists can't complete on powercranks.

Yup, that ain't old school.

9. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

I've a set for way over a year and the only place I can get out of the saddle is up a steep hill. The only problem is that I have to keep accelerating, which is cool when you start off because I find I have a way better kick with these things...

... however after about 20 seconds Im going at speeds that aint too sustainable but I'm still accelerating. At 50 seconds I'm pedalling a bit too quick for my liking and going way too fast.

One day I will master it - I'm going to have to pay Frank a visit someday for some training. Once I get that sorted out I'll be able to ride lots out of the saddle like I always used too going uphill.

10. swampy1970

I quite liked the fact that my bike is firmly clamped to my trainer... I would have suffered 'Power Crank beginners leg death' by the time I got my balance of free rollers and then promptly fallen over sideways. :eek:

11. wiredued

wiredued New Member

That's good to know Swampy thanks. I did catch a glimpse of someone using them on a stationary trainer but when he got out of the saddle he was putting way to much weight on the handlebars. I suppose accelarating would help avoid that.

12. Fday

Fday New Member

The only way to learn how to pedal out of the saddle with these things is to put way to much weight on the handlebars. Weight on the handlebars unweights the pedals and keeps the pedal speed under control until the coordination is there (it is a different coordination than when in the saddle).

13. Fday

Fday New Member

If you don't unweight the pedals with pressure on the handlebars the only way to control pedal speed out of the saddle is to be going up a steep hill or to be in a huge gear. Problem is most don't do it often enough to get really good at it. Keep practicing and it will become "easier and easier" (as if anything on these things is ever easy).

14. swampy1970

The strange thing is that 'the problem' shouldn't really be a problem. If I gotta ride up steep hills in gears that are way too big but I'm also pedalling too fast - is it really a problem?

Maybe I should do this more often!

Get what I'm sayin' ?