powercranks or powermeter?

eortiz

Nov 12, 2003
SoI'm debating whether to get a powercrank or a powermeter. I see advantage on both but I just want to get some feedback on which is a better investment since both a quite pricey. Thanks in advance.

Is it sad that my first instinct to this post was, "LOOKOUT FOR THE TROLL!"
Seriously though, it's a touchy topic around here. I think most of us feel that the powermeter is the better buy though.

LOL! This question can't be legitimate - can it? LOL!

OP, you need to do just a little bit of reading in the 'pedaling' threads. You must not frequent this forum but once or twice a year...:D

Now, I'll just sit down here in my lazyboy with a bag of popcorn and a choice beverage to witness the festivities...

I have both.

Both are good.

One tells you what you're doing. The other one make you do it.

Your choice.

A power meter is the current Gold Standard for measuring the internal forces that make the bike go faster. The other is a device based on faulty logic, no decent evidence and is marketed by infomercials and the "creator" attempting to baffle and confuse people about the benefits of various pedalling styles.

Sorry I did not mean to open up a can of worms. I did a search but did not find much although I do see the "Pedaling efficiency" topic. Anyway, hopefully the moderator can delete this (no worries on my part).

On another note, I do practice one leg pedaling and I can say, I'm getting good at it so I may just go with the powermeter.

BTW, yes, I've been in out of the forum for awhile due to work :mad: but am now back on the saddle :D BUT out of work:eek:

Sad to hear about the lack of work :-(
I think it's just fine to ask a question like this, but it's the annoying sort of topic that a troll would bring up around here to stir some ****, but a newbie might ask completely innocently.

LOL Best CF trollbait ever (inadvertant or not). :D

There are several threads out there discussing this topic. Search for threads with 100+ responses (as opposed to keywords) and you've got a better chance of picking them up.

eortiz said:
Sorry I did not mean to open up a can of worms. I did a search but did not find much although I do see the "Pedaling efficiency" topic. Anyway, hopefully the moderator can delete this (no worries on my part).

frenchyge said:
LOL Best CF trollbait ever (inadvertant or not). :D

It's all good eortiz. I'm not gonna delete this thread, but since it's been marked as potential troll bait I'm gonna lock it.

Steve has unlocked this thread, post away...

If the trolls come and start making a train wreck out this thread, the best thing to do is ignore them, they'll go away on their own...

Ok.... Here's the deal, I've been using a HRM for training doing intervals (steady state) etc. I'm leaning towards power meter since I do single leg training (SLT) anyway and I get the idea. But in my opinion, since I used to body build when I was in college, you can measure your progress by the increase in your power output with a power meter or when body building, the amt. of weights you can lift. So power meter it is for me but in the mean time, I'll just ride and enjoy every minute of it :D

Thanks everyone!

I just hate being a noob... but I guess the only way to get away from noobdom is to ask...

So what is a Troll???

Someone once made a good analogy between weight training for competitive powerlifting and training with a power meter for performance cycling which went something like this: imagine trying to optimize a powerlifting training program where you couldn't see the numbers on any of the weights or even tell how many plates were on the bar at any given time.

Sure you can lift more and more until it feels 'heavy' or you just can't do any more, but most folks can probably imagine there's benefit of quantifying your workload and tracking progress from one workout/week/month/year to the next.

Most folks can probably imagine there's benefit to using independent cranks, too. So... there you go.