Powercranks vs Rotor Rings Vs Others

smokey26_02

Jun 14, 2005
Hi I am very interested in purchasing one of these devices that increases my efficiency in pedaling. While cost matters, if its worth it I always find a way to buy it so throw out here whatever you think is the best.

I have looked at ossymetric, powercranks, rotor rings, rotor cranks, etc but dont know which way to go.

This season (my first) i developed tendonitis twice, currently am rehaving from the second tendonitis. I got it the last weeks of racing of the season!

According to those products claims that they can elimanite or decrease the pressure on the tendons. I am looking for a product that will increase my performance. Weight is not issue to some degree because I have come to realize there are more important things on the bike than having an ultra-light bike, when you still cant put out 350W an hour! Weight is just for bling, what determines win or lose is your training and fitness among other things, weight is almost insignificant to some degree!

Please give me your advice on these products mentioned above and any others that you may have heard of.

Thanks in advance.

Freddy

Freddy...save your money. Invest in a Powertap if you spend anything at all. I swear by Powertaps and they have helped me to increase my cardiovascular capabilities and output. Pedaling efficiency -- believe it or not -- comes from time in the saddle. Your legs can be manipulated for only a short time with these other poducts you are interested in. In fact, I think that after a few rides you'd rip off the Power Cranks and go back to a 53/39T like you had before. Just my 2 cents...:rolleyes:

smokey26_02 said:
Hi I am very interested in purchasing one of these devices that increases my efficiency in pedaling. While cost matters, if its worth it I always find a way to buy it so throw out here whatever you think is the best.

I have looked at ossymetric, powercranks, rotor rings, rotor cranks, etc but dont know which way to go.

This season (my first) i developed tendonitis twice, currently am rehaving from the second tendonitis. I got it the last weeks of racing of the season!

According to those products claims that they can elimanite or decrease the pressure on the tendons. I am looking for a product that will increase my performance. Weight is not issue to some degree because I have come to realize there are more important things on the bike than having an ultra-light bike, when you still cant put out 350W an hour! Weight is just for bling, what determines win or lose is your training and fitness among other things, weight is almost insignificant to some degree!

Please give me your advice on these products mentioned above and any others that you may have heard of.

Thanks in advance.

Freddy

I had a powertap and sold it becasue of the 50thousand cables on the bike. Am looking into the new ones that are wireless.

Thanks for your input. Anyone else?

carbonguru said:
Freddy...save your money. Invest in a Powertap if you spend anything at all. I swear by Powertaps and they have helped me to increase my cardiovascular capabilities and output. Pedaling efficiency -- believe it or not -- comes from time in the saddle. Your legs can be manipulated for only a short time with these other poducts you are interested in. In fact, I think that after a few rides you'd rip off the Power Cranks and go back to a 53/39T like you had before. Just my 2 cents...:rolleyes:

smokey26_02 said:
I had a powertap and sold it becasue of the 50thousand cables on the bike. Am looking into the new ones that are wireless.

Thanks for your input. Anyone else?
Rotor Cranks might be good, I have seen them in use with a guy I ride with. He does ironman and says that they have increased his efficiency. They look pretty strange though.

I second the idea with the powercranks. BBAADD news.

smokey26_02 said:

Thanks in advance.

Freddy

I agree with Carbonguru - I have tried a few of the products you mention. Bottom line is that performance is not limited by pedalling efficiency but by cardiovascular ability. A device like a power meter will give you good feedback and help you train more efficiently and measure progress.

There are no shortcuts IMO - which is what most of these devices claim to be.

yeah, I agree: if you're gunna spend some money, spend it on a good power meter, and, dare I say it, focus on doing less "drills".

check out what Ric Stern has to say about drills on this thread:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t233514.html

then go towards the end of the thread to see what he says about Powercranks. The guy selling Powercranks (user name: Fday) gets on there and makes some pretty big claims

I don't know if i would put rotor rings/osmetrics rings in the same category as powercranks. the goal of each of them is different isn't it? Powercranks try and get you to pedal 360 degrees, develop all of the little muscles that you normally don't use, and therefore give you more muscle fibers to recruit while riding, where the non-round chainrings are trying to lessen the effort you need to get through those deadspots, not by developing the rider's muscles by by giving you a mechanical advantage at the part of the pedal stroke where you are weakest. I would agree with everyone who has said get a powermeter, that's the biggest improvement on your return you are going to see if you train using it. I am very interested in the non-round rings, and i might invest in them to see if they possibly have a use in TT's.

Reading the thread about the powercranks. Pulling up is the least efficient use of your muscles, as we only ever train them to cancel out the weight of our legs in order to walk. The quadriceps push and produce the power, eg climbing stairs.

My philosophy is: Pedal, and the bike goes, pedal harder, the bike goes faster,

Get a power monitor.

www.powercranks.com

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=4331

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2003/reviews/PowerCranks

powercranks.jpg

I remember when Shimano tried the non-round chainrings with Biopace...wonder why the idea is making a comeback...