Powercranks

"Frank Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Frank Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> > and

> > at
> > >
> > > "almost half" were able to sustain unweighting (it is not clear that they were completely
> > > unweighted or just close but I haven't seen the paper)
> >
> > One of many, apparently.
>
> apparently! so did they completely unweight for 25 minutes or come close?

Data were actually recorded only during the last min of each 5 min stage, but since the subjects
didn't know it was happening then presumably yes, they did completely unweight for 25 min.

> > > for all of 25 minutes. WOW!!! And the average race lasts how long?
> >
> > The test was only 25 min long, so it can't be said how long these
athletes
> > could have maintained that force application pattern. OTOH, they weren't really aware that their
> > force application pattern was being measured, so presumably the data reflect their normal
> > pedaling "style".
>
> So, did they completely unweight for that period or just come close?

Depends on the subject - as I said, approximately half never showed any negative torque *at all*.

> If they completely unweighted, did they apply any positive force on the complete backstroke or did
> they just manage to get to zero and hold it?

Again, depends on the subject (as well as where in the upstroke they were). Most were only slightly
positive, but at least one subject obtained ~10% of their power by pulling up.

> > >Even if that were so, it is not my experience in watching people get on my demonstration bikes.
> > >About 1% of the people can pedal without falling out of synch for more than a minute.
> >
> > Falling out of synch doesn't necessarily mean that somebody isn't unweighting the rising pedal.
>
> It doesn't? What does it mean? All the PowerCrankers out there who are following this (any who
> happen to have not fallen asleep) are anxious to know.

Falling out of synch would, by itself, simply mean that the two legs are traveling at different
speeds. I can certainly see how that would usually be associated with fatigue/brief lack of positive
torque on the upstroke, but by itself doesn't prove it.

> > > You just can't believe that it is possible for an elite to improve that much or to improve
> > > without improving VO2 max (which according to you can't really be improved)
> >
> > On the contrary, I'm constantly trying to dispel the mistaken notion
that
> > VO2max is genetically fixed and can't be improved by training. My point
is
> > that crippling somebody's ability to pedal a bike in a normal fashion by using your cranks isn't
> > going to increase VO2max, either acutely or over
> > prolonged period of time.
>
> And you are basing that opinion on ...?

The fact that muscle mass isn't limiting to VO2max, as well as the fact that VO2max in elite
endurance athletes is comparable across sports that widely differ in the amount of muscle mass
recruited.

> > > so you shut your eyes to the data. Museeuw gets on them and 3 weeks later his agent is back
> > > asking for cranks for his training partners. Hincapie gets on them and in about two weeks I
> > > start getting phone calls from people, "George says I need to get on these". I get a call from
> > > Telecom awhile back telling me not to use C. Evans as a user in my web advertising as he is
> > > under contract. I contact Mr. Evans somewhat concerned that I don't want to get him in trouble
> > > and he says he will talk to them when the team gets together. I haven't heard anything more
> > > from him or them. I give a 60 day moneyback guarantee and the return rate is about 5 in a
> > > thousand. Even PT Barnum wouldn't claim there are that many suckers out there.
> >
> > Sure there are...and the pro cyclists whose names you drop seem to be
among
> > them.
>
> Really?

Yup - suckers. Or I guess you could just say that desperate times calls for desperate measures.

BTW, when *is* Hincapie finally going to win something really big, anyway?

> > > You are the "man of science" who has the blinders on, as far as I am concerned. The data is
> > > the data.
> >
> > And what data *are* (not is) those? So far there's one study claiming
large
> > increase in efficiency as a result of training using Powercranks, but
that's
> > it. Moreover, contrary to your claims no new world records have been set
by
> > Powercrank users, and no unknowns/lesser lights have suddenly set the
world
> > on fire as a result of their use.
>
> Wrong, I have listed a couple of new WR's on another post.

Which, as others have pointed out, can readily be explained by advances in aerodynamic design, not
any increase in human power output.

>Of course, they probably aren't the kinds of records you think are important so it will be easy to
>discount them, I suspect.

On the contrary, I think "speedbikes" (as Mark Weaver likes to call them) are one of the coolest
things going, and I'd jump at the chance to be involved in any such effort. However, it is precisly
because of the crucial importance of technology in this arena that I discount the records you cite
as proof that Powercranks work.

>And the fact there is only one study. Well, there has to be a first. We will see what subsequent
>studies show. Perhaps you are right. Maybe this is cold fusion.

I think the snake oil analogy is more apt. At least the folks claiming to have accomplished cold
fusion weren't trying to make a fast buck on their bogus claims.

Andy Coggan

"Andrew Bradley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:3j2Xb.3643$Y%[email protected]...

> If you have a total energy vs crank angle plot for a circular ring then you'll see it goes up and
> down. By increasing kinetic energy for the troughs (via increased pedal speed) and decreasing it
> where the peaks are, you can have the total mechanical
leg
> energy remain constant.
>
> Not difficult to understand, and it has no real significance to the PC's debate.

Except for the fact that Frank keeps insisting that he can calculate the energy "loss" associated
with pedaling at various cadences, when 1) there is no such loss (at least not due to the
mechanisms he proposes), and 2) his calculations don't account for energy transfer to the pedals.
Thus, the points you have been making are extremely relevant to the PC debate, because they reveal
Frank's lack of knowledge of the scientific literature, and in fact lack of understanding of even
basic physics.

Andy Coggan

"Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Andy Coggan wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but maximal heart rate goes down, not up, with training. Hence,
all
> > of the increase in maximal cardiac output - and typically at least 50%
of
> > the increase in VO2max - is due to the increase in stroke volume.
>
> Interesting. What changes in the body account for the other 50% of VO2max increase?

Increased extraction of O2 from arterial blood. However, since there's only a limited amount of O2
left in venous blood in the untrained state, you can only increase VO2max by about 10% by relying on
this mechanism - any increase greater than that therefore generally must be due to an increase in
stroke volume and hence cardiac output.

Andy Coggan

"Frank Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Frank Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> > it

> > is
> > the
> > cyclists who
> > when high
> > time, there
> > additional
> > additional

same

> > their
> > short
> > >
> > > I don't know how you mean by "apropriately".
> >
> > I mean exactly that: appropriately. That is, express the data in a
manner
> > that takes the effects of body size into account, so that the resultant expression doesn't
> > correlate with body size.
> >
> > > If you mean put in a fudge factor to get the data to come out the way you want then I guess
> > > so. You have stated that VO2 max is the limiter to athletic performance.
> >
> > It sets the upper limit to aerobic energy production, yes (and
obviously).
> > However, it isn't the only determinant of endurance exercise
performance, as
> > I have explained previously.
>
> It only sets the upper limit at that point in time. It doesn't mean VO2 max cannot be increased.
> It is a number. What is the basis of that number? is it cardiac? pulmonary? or skeletal muscular
> limits that set VO2 max? Maybe we should be debating that question. Which do you believe to be the
> limiter that determines VO2 max?

Personally, I'm more of a subscriber to what's sometimes referred to as metabolic control theory, or
distributed control - this helps you get away from thinking that one thing, and only one thing,
limits any particular process. However, if you look at the overall chain of events involved in O2
transport during maximal exercise, there's absolutely no question whatsoever that convective O2
delivery - which is determined by cardiac output and arterial O2 content - is the primary
determinant of VO2max. By comparison, the ability of muscle to accept blood flow and to take up and
utilize O2 is far, far greater, whereas the lungs, although lacking the same degree of safety margin
(if you will), are also somewhat "overbuilt" for exercise (in most cases).

> > > In another post, which I just answered, you stated that my claim was I increased power 40% and
> > > that would mean you had to increase your VO2 max 40%, so my claims are snake oil. so, in my
> > > mind, that is what you believe. You apparently do not think it possible to improve efficiency
> > > to get more power to the wheel from the same engine. What else are we supposed to think based
> > > upon that (and other) posts.
> >
> > I never said that efficiency was fixed - it just isn't possible to
improve
> > efficiency by 40%. This is true because the way that efficiency is
typically
> > expressed (i.e., useful work accomplished/energy released) fails to take into account the
> > obligatory energy "loss" that occurs during metabolism
(vs.
> > burning foodstuffs in an indirect calorimeter). If you do take that into account (and the fact
> > that efficiency as calculated based on O2 uptake
by
> > the leg is higher than efficiency as calculated based on O2 uptake by
the
> > whole body), you realize that our muscles are actually already markedly efficient, meaning that
> > such a large increase is simply impossible. Even
if
> > it were, however, I don't believe that trying to "pedal circles" would improve efficiency - this
> > has been a red herring in cycling ever since bicycles were invented, as anybody who *really*
> > understands the
biomechanics
> > and physiology of cycling realizes.
>
> Well, if the typical cyclist pedals at an efficiency of 20% and the effiiciency of the conversion
> of chemical energy into work by the muscles is slightly more than 40% then it is in fact POSSIBLE
> to improve efficiency by more than 40% as a 40% improvement would only take the 20% efficient body
> to a overall efficiency of 28% (it would take the 26% efficeint cyclist (about the highest ever
> measured) to 36%, less probable but possible). Even so, I only claim the typical rider will
> receive 40% increase in power so some of this may come from increase in VO2 uptake from use of new
> muscles, so all of this increase doesn't need to come from improved efficiency.

Boy, you're a slippery one, Frank! First you claim a 40% increase in power in absolute terms, now
you state that it is 40% in a relative sense (first sentence above), then finally you go back to
claiming it is a 40% increase in absolute terms - make up your mind, will you?

I guess it's time for a little biochemisty/physiology/math lesson for ol' Frankie...

Using myself as an example: mashing on my pedals at ~80 rpm, I can sustain 300 W for ~1 h, a power
output that requires (ignoring any VO2 drift) a VO2 of 3.8 L/min, or ~85% of my VO2max. My gross
efficiency at this intensity is 22.5%. However, gross efficiency reflects the efficiency of the
body as a whole, not that of the working leg muscles. The latter can be estimated knowing that the
% of whole-body O2 uptake by the legs during cycling is comparable to the percentage of VO2max -
IOW, at 85% of my VO2max about 85% of whole body O2 uptake is by my legs, i.e., my leg O2 uptake at
300 W = 3.8
L/min x 0.85 = 3.2 L/min. In turn, that means my leg muscles are working with an efficiency of
26.8%. At such a high relative intensity, carbohydrate will be the primary (if not the exclusive)
fuel. Regardless of whether the reaction proceeds in vivo or in a bomb calorimeter, the complete
oxidation of 1 mol of glucose using 6 mol of O2 yields 6 mol of CO2 and 6 mol of H2O, and most
importantly liberates 673 kcal of energy. Of this 673 kcal, however, only 450 kcal are "trapped"
in the form of ATP (36 mol with a delta G zero in vivo of -12.5 kcal/mol). IOW, aerobic metabolism
of glucose is only 450/673 = 67% efficient in the first place. Thus, the efficiency of my muscles
in converting the energy that is trapped as ATP into useful work is actually already 26.8/0.67 =
40%! This rivals or even exeeds the efficiency of mechanical devices, e.g., electric motors. Given
this, and the fact that the 1st law of thermodynamics means that there *must* be an increase in
enthalpy of the system as a whole when ATP is broken down to drive muscle contraction, the notion
that you can achieve a 40% increase in power simply by "pedaling circles" is ludicrous at best.
Furthermore, since I'm already capable of sustaining exercise very close to my VO2max for many
tens of minutes at a time, there is little if any "room" for increasing power output simply by
operating at a higher percentage of VO2max. Ergo, the only way to achieve the phenomenal increases
in power that you claim would be by increasing VO2max itself...but since it takes but a small
fraction of total body muscle to be contracting to drive cardiac output to its limits, there's no
reason to believe that attempting to bring a few small accessory muscles into play would be of any
benefit there, either. (If there were, then you'd expect that arm+leg trained athletes, e.g., X-C
skiers to have higher VO2max values than e.g., middle distance runners - but in fact, they don't.)

> So, it is possible this all comes from efficiency improvement. You just don't think it probable.
> Am I right?

Correct.

> If the 40% improvement in power in the typical rider (or say smaller improvements in the elite
> rider such as the 28% seen by Phil Holman) are shown to be true. Where do you think these
> improvements are coming from? Or, are you still saying it is not possible?

Since few endurance athletes devote significant attention to developing their neuromuscular
power/anaerobic capacity, improvements such as Phil's can readily be explained by a period of
training focussing on this ability. For example, I have power data on an elite track cyclist showing
a 25% increase 5 s and 1 min power in just 2 months, simply as a result of changing the emphasis of
their training. (I expect to make similar gains myself during my specific prep for the 3k pursuit at
master nationals this year, which, since I've already gone as fast as Phil for 2k during a 3k event
w/o any specific training, should enable me to blow away the time he always likes to brag
about...but that's a different story.)

> > the
> > (determined
> > is
> > closely
> > having an
> > >
> > > It makes no sense to me to say VO2 max is limiting and then scale it to body weight. If it
> > > should be scaled to anything it should be lung capacity
> >
> > And why, pray tell, is that? Except in special cases, the lungs aren't limiting to VO2max, i.e.,
> > most (not all) people have no problem
maintaining
> > arterial O2 saturation even during maximal exercise.
>
> And that is why VO2 max is not limiting to aerobic exercise? Thanks for the argument. If arterial
> oxygenation is maintained during maximal exercise, why do you presume to claim that VO2 max is
> limiting?
> >
> > > , something that doesn't change with training and hardly changes with weight. Further, since
> > > VO2 max can increase with training I don't believe it to be limiting.
> >
> > Huh? That's as dumb as sauing that because I can hot-rod my car to make
it
> > go faster, the amount of horsepower that it makes in its present state doesn't limit its speed.
>
> that is not dumb, it is true.

No, it is just plain dumb.

> Let us get back to what the limiting organ ireally is. i will accept your argument that VO2 max
> limits aerobic exercise performance. What limits VO2 max. The heart or the periphery or
> something else?

Once again, primarily the heart.

> > former,
> > only
> > >
> > > Actually, it is mostly a combination of increases in stroke volume and increased heart rate.
> >
> > Sorry, but maximal heart rate goes down, not up, with training. Hence,
all
> > of the increase in maximal cardiac output - and typically at least 50%
of
> > the increase in VO2max - is due to the increase in stroke volume.
>
> Possibly, but age goes up with training which is associated with lowered maximum heart rates. the
> top aerobic athletes are not 20 years old but more likely 35. That explains the maximum HR
> connundrum.
> >
> > > In regards to the a-vO2 difference, even though I am not familiar with this data I will boldly
> > > say this, phooey! As long as the athlete is aerobic mixed venous blood will remain at a pO2 of
> > > about 40 (75% saturated). When this starts to drop will be close to lactate threshold and will
> > > be close to VO2 max.
> >
> > Frank, once again you reveal your ignorance about the physiology of exercise: the O2 content of
> > mixed venous blood drops rapidly as a result
of
> > the transition from rest to low intensity exercise, then declines much
more
> > gradually thereafter. Since arterial O2 content is essentially constant (perhap rising slightly
> > up to moderately intense exercise, then
declining
> > back to resting or perhaps slightly below resting as VO2max is
approached),
> > the whole-body a-vO2 difference increases basically mirrors the change
in
> > mixed venous O2 content. There is no abrupt transition in mixed venous
O2
> > content around LT or VO2max as you claim. Furthermore, although there
isn't
> > much O2 left in venous blood (esp. that draining exercising muscle)
during
> > exercise in the untrained state, there is some - and one of the effects
of
> > training is enhance O2 extraction both across the muscle and for the
body as
> > a whole. This widening of the a-vO2 difference with training typically accounts for ~50% of the
> > icnrease in VO2max when individuals undergo a moderate period of endurance training (e.g., a few
> > months) and achieve a moderate increase in VO2max (e.g., ~20%). Even that conclusion, though,
is
> > really a synthesis of the literature, as in fact some studies find that
the
> > increase in a-vO2 differences accounts for *ALL* of the increase in
VO2max
> > with training (and others find that it doesn't change at all, probably because of the difficulty
> > of measuring or calculating a-vO2 differences
with
> > great accuracy during maximal exercise).
>
> mixed venous O2 saturation simply represents the average of all the blood returning to the heart.

Correct, but training increases a-vO2 difference even when measured across exercising muscle itself.
IOW, increased shunting doesn't explain the increase in whole-body a-vO2 difference (and hence
VO2max) with training (although decreased shunting may contribute to the age-related decline in
VO2max, approximately one-third of which is due to reduced O2 extraction).

> This includes blood returning from the skin and gut where O2 levels may be high and muscle where
> it will be lower. It will be normal for mixed venous concentration to drop during intense exercise
> because a greater percentage of the blood is coming from high extraction organs. This drop will be
> less in hot weather where a higher percentage of the blood goes to the skin for cooling.

More non-sequitors.

> It doesn't affect the basic tenets of my arguments.

Except that it reveals your ignorance with regards to many things of which you speak. Given this,
is it any surprise that educated people tend to dismiss you as a charlatan, and your invention as
a gimmick?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1537731&dopt=Abstract

> > > Where does the increased filling pressure come from? Increased venous return I say. Where does
> > > the increased venous return come from? Increased blood flow through the muscle due to local
> > > autoregulation I say. So, cardiac output responds to venous return which is determined by
> > > local conditions. When the local muscle cannot pass any more blood, cardiac output (and hence
> > > VO2 uptake) ceases to increase and we soon reach VO2 max (as there is a little further uptake
> > > due to increased extraction. If the muscle could pass more blood then cardiac output would
> > > increase and VO2 max would also increase. It is that simple.
> >
> > So by your understanding, alpha blockade using e.g., phentolamine would result in an increase in
> > VO2max. Why don't you try that and report back
> > us, Frank? :)
>
> Alpha blockade would have no significant effect on VO2 max i suspect.

You apparently claim that "local conditions" (vascular conductance of muscle) are the sole
determinant of venous return, which in turn is the sole determinant of stroke volume and hence
cardiac output and VO2max. At least, that's what I take you to mean when you say "It is that
simple". If this were correct, then alpha blockade, which would prevent vasoconstriction (which
occurs even in exercising muscle, at least if more than a small fraction of total muscle is engaged
in the activity), would, by your theory, increase venous return, stroke volume, cardiac output, and
VO2max. In fact, what it *really* does is make high intensity exercise impossible (such that VO2max
cannot be reached), since you can no longer maintain adequate blood pressure. My comment was
therefore meant primarily as a joke, but the mere fact that you failed to recognize this possiblity
once again illustrates how little you actually know about exercise physiology, much less physiology
in general.

Andy Coggan

"Frank Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> take the drive train away. The losses are there whether there is a chain attached or not. Put your
> bike on a stand and take the chain off and pedal at a cadence of 130 (or the highest cadence you
> can sustain) and see if your HR increases. See how long you can do it. If it doesn't take any
> energy why does your HR change (or mayby yours won't). Try it and report back.

This experiment is a red herring, since it fails to differentiate between energy losses due to the
properties of biomaterials vs. those that might have a physical basis on a larger scale. As Andrew
Bradley has explained to you (and explained to you, and explained to you, and explained to you), NO
- none, zero, nada, zip - energy is lost simply due to the legs going 'round and 'round. Rather, ALL
- every little bit - of the energy loss occurs BEFORE the energy is transferred to the limb segments
in the first place (this loss being due to the viscoelastic elements in muscle). Efficiency is
therefore a complex function of cadence, and can't be predicted using your simplistic calculations
that ignore energy transfer to the pedals (and in the process, violate Newtonian physics).

Andy Coggan

"Phil Holman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> 1) which motor units/muscles
> > (i.e., extensors vs. flexors) are more easily recruited/controlled by
> the
> > motor system, and 2) which motor units/muscles are most capable of
> meeting
> > the demands placed upon them. Because the motor pattern (i.e., timing
> and
> > sequence of muscle activation) during cycling is nearly identical to
> to that
> > of walking/running, the answer is the hip/knee extensors, because they
> have
> > been "designed" by millions of years of evolution for this purpose.
>
> As a former runner this doesn't sound intuitively obvious i.e. hamstrings and hip flexors seem to
> be used more in running plus the range of motion is greater.

Apparently your intuition isn't as good as this former runner's, because I think it is obvious:
during upright bipedal locomotion, you support your body weight and then drive yourself forward
using your large, powerful hip, knee, and (esp.) ankle extensors (plantar flexors), then bring the
leg back into position against no external resistance using the hip, knee, and ankle flexors.
Pedaling a bicycle is just a variation of this basic scheme, corresponding most closely to jogging
up a steep hill.

Andy Coggan

andrewbradley <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<UH2Xb.323$%[email protected]>...

> > > Eh? How much energy? The amount you have calculated or an unspecified amount? Please explain
> > > the mysterious mechanism of heat production in your model?
> > the rate of energy loss depends upon the length of the cranks, the mass of the various leg
> > components, and the cadence (and varies with the square of the cadence). I can't give you a
> > number. The mysterous mechanism of heat production is simply the muscular energy required to
> > make the muscles contract that is required to keep the pedaling motion going. It ain't rocket
> > science, although you would think so by how many don't get it
>

> You hit the nail on the head. It ain't rocket science, since rocket science uses the established
> laws of physics.
>
> Your method seems to stem from Winter 1979: A new definition of mechanical work done in human
> movement. For it to have a hope, you need to be able to assume that no useful work is transfered
> to the environment, which is clearly not the case on a bike where the environment is the pedal. In
> running it is the ground an thus the concept is plausible.

HUH?

"Frank Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> the abilty to exercise is not limited by the heart or lungs but, rather, by the ability of the
> muscles being exercised to extract oxygen from the blood. It is the muscles in the legs and arms
> that go anaerobic (ischemia) and not the heart,

And the reason, ultimately*, that the muscles fail is because the heart can't provide them with
enough O2-carrying blood. This is proven by the fact that per mass of active tissue, both blood
flow and O2 uptake are much higher during small muscle mass (e.g., one leg kicking) vs. large
muscle mass exercise.

*Of course, mitochondrial respiratory capacity and hence substrate metabolism play a huge role in
determining what fraction of the muscle's aerobic power output can be maintained for how long...but
since the heart can't supply all the muscles in the body with all the blood flow and O2 that they
could consume, it is still ultimately the heart that sets the ceiling on sustainable exercise
intensity.

Andy Coggan

"Frank Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Even if pedal speed were allowed to vary and internal resistance were zero, this would not become
> a peretual motion machine because it requires external energy to keep it going.

Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong.

Andy Coggan

"Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Andrew Bradley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:3j2Xb.3643$Y%[email protected]...
>
> > If you have a total energy vs crank angle plot for a circular ring then you'll see it goes up
> > and down. By increasing kinetic energy for the troughs (via increased pedal speed) and
> > decreasing it where the peaks are, you can have the total mechanical
> leg
> > energy remain constant.
> >
> > Not difficult to understand, and it has no real significance to the PC's debate.
>
> Except for the fact that Frank keeps insisting that he can calculate the energy "loss" associated
> with pedaling at various cadences, when 1) there is no such loss (at least not due to the
> mechanisms he proposes), and 2) his calculations don't account for energy transfer to the pedals.
> Thus, the points you have been making are extremely relevant to the PC debate, because they reveal
> Frank's lack of knowledge of the scientific literature, and in fact lack of understanding of even
> basic physics.
>
> Andy Coggan
I don't believe i ever said I can calculate the actual energy losses involved because it varies with
the particular masses of the various parts of the legs, crank length, etc. I don't know those so i
made what were educated guesses to examine the principle. All I said was my calculations showed this
movement requires energy which will vary with the square of the cadence and which is energy that,
therefore, is expended but cannot get to the wheel. It is similar to the energy required to run in
place. No "work" is done when running in place but if done vigourously enough, it certainly can get
the HR up. The only difference really, is one "lifts" the legs higher when cycling. The source of
the losses, according to my calculations, would be similar.

I am sorry I am unfamiliar with the literature that seems to say this is impossible and my knowedge
of basic physics seems to have disappeared (I do think I had a little bit at one time). Oh well, I
guess I will just have to remain the laughingstock of the scientific community (at least, those in
the know).

Andy Coggan wrote:

>>Of course, they probably aren't the kinds of records you think are important so it will be easy to
>>discount them, I suspect.
>
> On the contrary, I think "speedbikes" (as Mark Weaver likes to call them) are one of the coolest
> things going, and I'd jump at the chance to be involved in any such effort. However, it is
> precisly because of the crucial importance of technology in this arena that I discount the records
> you cite as proof that Powercranks work....

Who is Mark Weaver?

Matt Weaver's website: <http://www.speed101.com/>.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

> world, and
> done!

> look at

> > > One of many, apparently.
> >
> > apparently! so did they completely unweight for 25 minutes or come close?
>
> Data were actually recorded only during the last min of each 5 min stage, but since the subjects
> didn't know it was happening then presumably yes, they did completely unweight for 25 min.

> > > The test was only 25 min long, so it can't be said how long these
> athletes
> > > could have maintained that force application pattern. OTOH, they weren't really aware that
> > > their force application pattern was being measured, so presumably the data reflect their
> > > normal pedaling "style".

They weren't aware? Weren't they on force plate pedals with wires coming off the pedals? wouldn't
they have perhaps suspected something? Was there an attention control group?

> > So, did they completely unweight for that period or just come close?
>
> Depends on the subject - as I said, approximately half never showed any negative torque *at all*.

If elite cyclists have been shown to pedal this way why did whitt and Wilson choose to represent
that even professional cyclists tend to pedal with negative torque on the back stroke in their book
Bicycling Science. Was the efficiencies of these different riders measured? Did those who tended to
unweight have lower effiiciencies than those who didn't? Is that where you get the "just push harder
baby" philosphophy to cycling faster? What did the data show?

> > If they completely unweighted, did they apply any positive force on the complete backstroke or
> > did they just manage to get to zero and hold it?
>
> Again, depends on the subject (as well as where in the upstroke they were). Most were only
> slightly positive, but at least one subject obtained ~10% of their power by pulling up.

Did this person seem to think this method of pedaaling detrimental? Did he have a problem with
attaining VO2 max, since up to now I thought you seemed to think this method of pedaling is
impossible, because it would be prevented by VO2 max. Now, i take it you agree it is possible, just
not optimal so why would anyone want to even try. I am going to have to get this paper. Sounds
interesting. What is the title?

> > > Falling out of synch doesn't necessarily mean that somebody isn't unweighting the rising
> > > pedal.
> >
> > It doesn't? What does it mean? All the PowerCrankers out there who are following this (any who
> > happen to have not fallen asleep) are anxious to know.
>
> Falling out of synch would, by itself, simply mean that the two legs are traveling at different
> speeds. I can certainly see how that would usually be associated with fatigue/brief lack of
> positive torque on the upstroke, but by itself doesn't prove it.

And, how, perchance, would the PowerCranks come to be traveling at two different speeds without
failing to unweight on the recovery? All the PowerCrankers out their are anxiously awaiting your
insight into what they previously thought was relatively intuitive.

> > > On the contrary, I'm constantly trying to dispel the mistaken notion
> that
> > > VO2max is genetically fixed and can't be improved by training. My point
> is
> > > that crippling somebody's ability to pedal a bike in a normal fashion by using your cranks
> > > isn't going to increase VO2max, either acutely or over
> > > prolonged period of time.
> >
> > And you are basing that opinion on ...?
>
> The fact that muscle mass isn't limiting to VO2max, as well as the fact that VO2max in elite
> endurance athletes is comparable across sports that widely differ in the amount of muscle mass
> recruited.

When one compensates for muscle mass being exercised it makes sense that VO2 max is "comparible"
although i note you don't use the term equal.

> > > Sure there are...and the pro cyclists whose names you drop seem to be
> among
> > > them.
> >
> > Really?
>
> Yup - suckers. Or I guess you could just say that desperate times calls for desperate measures.
>
> BTW, when *is* Hincapie finally going to win something really big, anyway?

Really good point there, I must admit.

> > > And what data *are* (not is) those? So far there's one study claiming
> large
> > > increase in efficiency as a result of training using Powercranks, but
> that's
> > > it. Moreover, contrary to your claims no new world records have been set
> by
> > > Powercrank users, and no unknowns/lesser lights have suddenly set the
> world
> > > on fire as a result of their use.
> >
> > Wrong, I have listed a couple of new WR's on another post.
>
> Which, as others have pointed out, can readily be explained by advances in aerodynamic design, not
> any increase in human power output.

I am sorry you asked.

> >Of course, they probably aren't the kinds of records you think are important so it will be easy
> >to discount them, I suspect.
>
> On the contrary, I think "speedbikes" (as Mark Weaver likes to call them) are one of the coolest
> things going, and I'd jump at the chance to be involved in any such effort. However, it is
> precisly because of the crucial importance of technology in this arena that I discount the records
> you cite as proof that Powercranks work.

You asked if there were any world records on PowerCranks or by PowerCrankers. There are. Matt (not
Mark) Weaver isn't on them and hasn't set one even though many think his machine is more
technologically advanced.)

> >And the fact there is only one study. Well, there has to be a first. We will see what subsequent
> >studies show. Perhaps you are right. Maybe this is cold fusion.
>
> I think the snake oil analogy is more apt. At least the folks claiming to have accomplished cold
> fusion weren't trying to make a fast buck on their bogus claims.

i apologize to all the PowerCrankers out there. I didn't mean to mislead you, I really didn't. At
least it is not too late for the poor fellow who started this thread. You still have time. Send
them back and get your money back. Put it towards something really worthwhile like ... well, I
don't know what.

"Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:tmorse-
> [email protected]...
> > Andy Coggan wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry, but maximal heart rate goes down, not up, with training. Hence,
> all
> > > of the increase in maximal cardiac output - and typically at least 50%
> of
> > > the increase in VO2max - is due to the increase in stroke volume.
> >
> > Interesting. What changes in the body account for the other 50% of VO2max increase?
>
> Increased extraction of O2 from arterial blood. However, since there's only a limited amount of O2
> left in venous blood in the untrained state, you can only increase VO2max by about 10% by relying
> on this mechanism - any increase greater than that therefore generally must be due to an increase
> in stroke volume and hence cardiac output.

VO2 delivery is cardiac output times the amount of oxygen in the blood, which depends mostly on
hemoglobin concentration and altitude, and the amount extracted from the blood as it passes through
the tissues. VO2 max is the maximum amount you as an individual can extract per minute.

The easiest way to increase VO2 max is to increase hemoglobin by living at altitude or by doping.
The hardest way is through training to increaase cardiac output. Cardiac output is determined by
stroke vlume time heart rate. So, to answer your question, most of the other 50% increase is
determined by HR. Increased extraction is a small amount of the total.

I am sure i have made an error above and AC will set you straight as my understanding of this stuff
(as I have been told) is minimal.

Andy Coggan wrote:

> Terry Morse wrote:
> > What changes in the body account for the other 50% of VO2max increase?
>
> Increased extraction of O2 from arterial blood.

Okay, that extraction as I understand it shows up as a higher arterial-venous O2 difference (the "a-
vO2 diff" in the literature). But what's the physiological cause for that increase, an increase in
capillary density, or something else?

> "Phil Holman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > 1) which motor units/muscles
> > > (i.e., extensors vs. flexors) are more easily recruited/controlled
by
> > the
> > > motor system, and 2) which motor units/muscles are most capable of
> > meeting
> > > the demands placed upon them. Because the motor pattern (i.e.,
timing
> > and
> > > sequence of muscle activation) during cycling is nearly identical
> > to that
> > > of walking/running, the answer is the hip/knee extensors, because
they
> > have
> > > been "designed" by millions of years of evolution for this
purpose.

> > As a former runner this doesn't sound intuitively obvious i.e. hamstrings and hip flexors seem
> > to be used more in running plus the range of motion is greater.
>
> Apparently your intuition isn't as good as this former runner's,
because I
> think it is obvious: during upright bipedal locomotion, you support
your
> body weight and then drive yourself forward using your large, powerful
hip,
> knee, and (esp.) ankle extensors (plantar flexors), then bring the leg
back
> into position against no external resistance using the hip, knee, and
ankle
> flexors. Pedaling a bicycle is just a variation of this basic scheme, corresponding most closely
> to jogging up a steep hill.

Against no external resistance except the weight of the leg being raised from an almost stationary
postion which will be (intuitively) greater than in cycling. The foot is raised and accelerated from
zero to twice running speed with every stride as compared to a fairly large conservation of momentum
and a constant speed on the upstroke in cycling.

Phil Holman

"Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<
> > > It sets the upper limit to aerobic energy production, yes (and
> obviously).
> > > However, it isn't the only determinant of endurance exercise
> performance, as
> > > I have explained previously.
> >
> > It only sets the upper limit at that point in time. It doesn't mean VO2 max cannot be increased.
> > It is a number. What is the basis of that number? is it cardiac? pulmonary? or skeletal muscular
> > limits that set VO2 max? Maybe we should be debating that question. Which do you believe to be
> > the limiter that determines VO2 max?
>
> Personally, I'm more of a subscriber to what's sometimes referred to as metabolic control theory,
> or distributed control - this helps you get away from thinking that one thing, and only one thing,
> limits any particular process. However, if you look at the overall chain of events involved in O2
> transport during maximal exercise, there's absolutely no question whatsoever that convective O2
> delivery - which is determined by cardiac output and arterial O2 content - is the primary
> determinant of VO2max. By comparison, the ability of muscle to accept blood flow and to take up
> and utilize O2 is far, far greater, whereas the lungs, although lacking the same degree of safety
> margin (if you will), are also somewhat "overbuilt" for exercise (in most cases).

The amount of convective O2 delivery at maximum exercise IS VO2 max. I guess that in a fashion could
be considered to be the "primary" determinant in VO2 max but if you were my student I wouldn't
accept that answer as showing an adequate understanding of the physiology, you have just
regurgitated the definition. What again is the limiter that prevents us from further increasing our
VO2 max when we are doing these tests? I presume you have excluded the lungs from your answer above
(I would agree) so now we are down to the heart or the periphery (local tissue blood dynamics). Two
choices in my mind, unless you can think of a third.

> > > I never said that efficiency was fixed - it just isn't possible to
> improve
> > > efficiency by 40%. This is true because the way that efficiency is
> typically
> > > expressed (i.e., useful work accomplished/energy released) fails to take into account the
> > > obligatory energy "loss" that occurs during metabolism
> (vs.
> > > burning foodstuffs in an indirect calorimeter). If you do take that into account (and the fact
> > > that efficiency as calculated based on O2 uptake
> by
> > > the leg is higher than efficiency as calculated based on O2 uptake by
> the
> > > whole body), you realize that our muscles are actually already markedly efficient, meaning
> > > that such a large increase is simply impossible. Even
> if
> > > it were, however, I don't believe that trying to "pedal circles" would improve efficiency -
> > > this has been a red herring in cycling ever since bicycles were invented, as anybody who
> > > *really* understands the
> biomechanics
> > > and physiology of cycling realizes.
> >
> > Well, if the typical cyclist pedals at an efficiency of 20% and the effiiciency of the
> > conversion of chemical energy into work by the muscles is slightly more than 40% then it is in
> > fact POSSIBLE to improve efficiency by more than 40% as a 40% improvement would only take the
> > 20% efficient body to a overall efficiency of 28% (it would take the 26% efficeint cyclist
> > (about the highest ever measured) to 36%, less probable but possible). Even so, I only claim the
> > typical rider will receive 40% increase in power so some of this may come from increase in VO2
> > uptake from use of new muscles, so all of this increase doesn't need to come from improved
> > efficiency.
>
> Boy, you're a slippery one, Frank! First you claim a 40% increase in power in absolute terms, now
> you state that it is 40% in a relative sense (first sentence above), then finally you go back to
> claiming it is a 40% increase in absolute terms - make up your mind, will you?

I am slippery. It is all that snake oil. I am confused by your confusion. I am simply trying to say
there are many potential mechanisms for improving power to the wheel. 40% is approximately what most
people see.

> I guess it's time for a little biochemisty/physiology/math lesson for ol' Frankie...

My pencil is out ...

> Using myself as an example: mashing on my pedals at ~80 rpm, I can sustain 300 W for ~1 h, a power
> output that requires (ignoring any VO2 drift) a VO2 of 3.8 L/min, or ~85% of my VO2max. My gross
> efficiency at this intensity is 22.5%. However, gross efficiency reflects the efficiency of the
> body as a whole, not that of the working leg muscles. The latter can be estimated knowing that the
> % of whole-body O2 uptake by the legs during cycling is comparable to the percentage of VO2max -
> IOW, at 85% of my VO2max about 85% of whole body O2 uptake is by my legs, i.e., my leg O2 uptake
> at 300 W = 3.8
> L/min x 0.85 = 3.2 L/min. In turn, that means my leg muscles are working with an efficiency of
> 26.8%. At such a high relative intensity, carbohydrate will be the primary (if not the
> exclusive) fuel. Regardless of whether the reaction proceeds in vivo or in a bomb calorimeter,
> the complete oxidation of 1 mol of glucose using 6 mol of O2 yields 6 mol of CO2 and 6 mol of
> H2O, and most importantly liberates 673 kcal of energy. Of this 673 kcal, however, only 450 kcal
> are "trapped" in the form of ATP (36 mol with a delta G zero in vivo of -12.5 kcal/mol). IOW,
> aerobic metabolism of glucose is only 450/673 = 67% efficient in the first place. Thus, the
> efficiency of my muscles in converting the energy that is trapped as ATP into useful work is
> actually already 26.8/0.67 = 40%! This rivals or even exeeds the efficiency of mechanical
> devices, e.g., electric motors. Given this, and the fact that the 1st law of thermodynamics
> means that there *must* be an increase in enthalpy of the system as a whole when ATP is broken
> down to drive muscle contraction, the notion that you can achieve a 40% increase in power simply
> by "pedaling circles" is ludicrous at best. Furthermore, since I'm already capable of sustaining
> exercise very close to my VO2max for many tens of minutes at a time, there is little if any
> "room" for increasing power output simply by operating at a higher percentage of VO2max. Ergo,
> the only way to achieve the phenomenal increases in power that you claim would be by increasing
> VO2max itself...but since it takes but a small fraction of total body muscle to be contracting
> to drive cardiac output to its limits, there's no reason to believe that attempting to bring a
> few small accessory muscles into play would be of any benefit there, either. (If there were,
> then you'd expect that arm+leg trained athletes, e.g., X-C skiers to have higher VO2max values
> than e.g., middle distance runners - but in fact, they don't.)

So, let me get this straight. You are already pretty good so it is not conceivable that you could
improve much more, let alone an increase of 40%. Especially because you're already at 40% (40% of
the theoretical maximum). Wow, that is pretty good. I am impressed.

However, you just got a few things wrong. I claim the typical user will see a 40% increase in POWER,
not efficiency. I believe such improvements in efficiency are probably possible but I don't know
that and don't claim it. so, I don't claim all of the gains are due to improvements in efficiency. I
think most of the early gains are however. But, other improvements come from recruiting more muscle
mass, eventually increasing VO2 max. But, let us presume I am claiming a 40% improvment in
efficiency, even for an elite athlete such as yourself. All I am saying is a 40% increase in your
current muscular efficiency of 26% gives an increase of about 10% or will get you to 36% musclular
efficiency, or slight more than half the theoretical maximum. That may or may not be possible to
acutally achieve but it certainly is not theoretically impossible. I know this, it is not possible
if you don't try. People who use the cranks typically report gains suggestive of such gains in them.
People who don't use them, don't.

> > So, it is possible this all comes from efficiency improvement. You just don't think it probable.
> > Am I right?
>
> Correct.
>
> > If the 40% improvement in power in the typical rider (or say smaller improvements in the elite
> > rider such as the 28% seen by Phil Holman) are shown to be true. Where do you think these
> > improvements are coming from? Or, are you still saying it is not possible?
>
> Since few endurance athletes devote significant attention to developing their neuromuscular
> power/anaerobic capacity, improvements such as Phil's can readily be explained by a period of
> training focussing on this ability. For example, I have power data on an elite track cyclist
> showing a 25% increase 5 s and 1 min power in just 2 months, simply as a result of changing the
> emphasis of their training. (I expect to make similar gains myself during my specific prep for the
> 3k pursuit at master nationals this year, which, since I've already gone as fast as Phil for 2k
> during a 3k event w/o any specific training, should enable me to blow away the time he always
> likes to brag about...but that's a different story.)

Wow. I am impressed. Just one question. How often can people improve "simply as a result of changing
the emphasis of their training"? Could someone do this every 3 months or so to get to the TDF in 3
or 4 years. How about Jan? could he do this this spring and kick Lances butt this summer? I take it
that you don't see those who take up PowerCranks as changing the emphasis of their training, at
least in anyway positive. Based upon your explanations I am now no longer looking forward to seeing
how Erin Mirabella performs this season on the track as she has changed the emphasis of her training
to include PowerCranks. Probably won't even get invited to the trials. Poor thing. Maybe you should
write and warn her she has been taken in by a snake oil salesman to help her save her season.

> any,
> individuals?
> production, the
> (determined
> (as is
> closely
> having an
> for

> > > And why, pray tell, is that? Except in special cases, the lungs aren't limiting to VO2max,
> > > i.e., most (not all) people have no problem
> maintaining
> > > arterial O2 saturation even during maximal exercise.
> >
> > And that is why VO2 max is not limiting to aerobic exercise? Thanks for the argument. If
> > arterial oxygenation is maintained during maximal exercise, why do you presume to claim that VO2
> > max is limiting?

> > > Huh? That's as dumb as sauing that because I can hot-rod my car to make
> it
> > > go faster, the amount of horsepower that it makes in its present state doesn't limit its
> > > speed.
> >
> > that is not dumb, it is true.
>
> No, it is just plain dumb.

Then dumb it is!

> > Let us get back to what the limiting organ ireally is. i will accept your argument that VO2 max
> > limits aerobic exercise performance. What limits VO2 max. The heart or the periphery or
> > something else?
>
> Once again, primarily the heart.

Why do you say that? What specifically happens that limits further increases in the hearts ability
to pump blood? Does the heart become ischemic (for those of you who are still around and now
familiar with the jargon, that means not enough oxygen) and can't generate any more energy? Why
doesn't the athlete experience chest pain if the heart can do no more? Give me a physiological
mechanism for this limitation.

> [...]
> hence VO2max) with training (although decreased shunting may contribute to the age-related decline
> in VO2max, approximately one-third of which is due to reduced O2 extraction).
>
> > This includes blood returning from the skin and gut where O2 levels may be high and muscle where
> > it will be lower. It will be normal for mixed venous concentration to drop during intense
> > exercise because a greater percentage of the blood is coming from high extraction organs. This
> > drop will be less in hot weather where a higher percentage of the blood goes to the skin for
> > cooling.
>
> More non-sequitors.
>
> > It doesn't affect the basic tenets of my arguments.
>
> Except that it reveals your ignorance with regards to many things of which you speak. Given this,
> is it any surprise that educated people tend to dismiss you as a charlatan, and your invention as

In the beginning I was surprised. i am no longer. Now I am embarking off on a quest to toconvince
the running gurus. Why am I expecting more of the same? At least I am comforted by the fact that
there is not ignorance reavealed in ALL the things I speak. whew!

> > > That's part of it, but only part: there's also an increase in intrinsic myocardial
> > > contractility and rate of relaxation, as well as changes in sensitivity to adrenergic
> > > stimulation - see, for example:
> > >

> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1537731&dopt=A-
> bstract

> > > So by your understanding, alpha blockade using e.g., phentolamine would result in an increase
> > > in VO2max. Why don't you try that and report back
> > > us, Frank? :)
> >
> > Alpha blockade would have no significant effect on VO2 max i suspect.
>
> You apparently claim that "local conditions" (vascular conductance of muscle) are the sole
> determinant of venous return, which in turn is the sole determinant of stroke volume and hence
> cardiac output and VO2max. At least, that's what I take you to mean when you say "It is that
> simple".

there can be other determiinants but they are generally short term.

>If this were correct, then alpha blockade, which would prevent vasoconstriction (which occurs even
>in exercising muscle, at least if more than a small fraction of total muscle is engaged in the
>activity), would, by your theory, increase venous return, stroke volume, cardiac output, and
>VO2max. In fact, what it *really* does is make high intensity exercise impossible (such that VO2max
>cannot be reached), since you can no longer maintain adequate blood pressure.

That is because you are opening vascular beds in tissue that are not utilizing oxygen, and creating
a peripheral AV shunt and diverting blood from the muscles that need it. The heart only has a small
excess capacity. It is not normally limiting except when you do something stupid like that. So, of
course such a stupid stunt adversely affects performance. Duh!

>My comment was therefore meant primarily as a joke, but the mere fact that you failed to recognize
>this possiblity once again illustrates how little you actually know about exercise physiology, much
>less physiology in general.

Well you fooled me. I guess that must seem pretty easy to do with someone with such a miniscule
knowledge in this area. i will try harder in the future.

Frank

> "Frank Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > the abilty to exercise is not limited by the heart or lungs but, rather, by the ability of the
> > muscles being exercised to extract oxygen from the blood. It is the muscles in the legs and arms
> > that go anaerobic (ischemia) and not the heart,
>
> And the reason, ultimately*, that the muscles fail is because the
heart
> can't provide them with enough O2-carrying blood. This is proven by
the fact
> that per mass of active tissue, both blood flow and O2 uptake are much higher during small muscle
> mass (e.g., one leg kicking) vs. large
muscle
> mass exercise.
>
> *Of course, mitochondrial respiratory capacity and hence substrate metabolism play a huge role in
> determining what fraction of the
muscle's
> aerobic power output can be maintained for how long...but since the
heart
> can't supply all the muscles in the body with all the blood flow and
O2 that
> they could consume, it is still ultimately the heart that sets the
ceiling
> on sustainable exercise intensity.

This addresses the upper limit of muscle utilization but what sets the lower limit? At what point do
we see exercise intensity drop off when we reduce muscle utilization. This question implies there is
a precise threshold but the complexity of the limitations apparently makes this unclear. Your
position is that the muscles used in normal pedaling can be trained up to elicit maximum capacity
and that's it. There are many articles in pub med which appear to be divided on this issue.

Phil Holman

> [...]
output
> simply by operating at a higher percentage of VO2max. Ergo, the only
way to
> achieve the phenomenal increases in power that you claim would be by increasing VO2max
> itself...but since it takes but a small fraction of
total
> body muscle to be contracting to drive cardiac output to its limits,
there's
> no reason to believe that attempting to bring a few small accessory
muscles
> into play would be of any benefit there, either. (If there were, then
you'd
> expect that arm+leg trained athletes, e.g., X-C skiers to have higher
VO2max
> values than e.g., middle distance runners - but in fact, they don't.)

Odd choice for comparison. What about X-C skiers versus cyclists?

> > So, it is possible this all comes from efficiency improvement. You just don't think it probable.
> > Am I right?
>
> Correct.
>
> > If the 40% improvement in power in the typical rider (or say smaller improvements in the elite
> > rider such as the 28% seen by Phil
Holman)
> > are shown to be true. Where do you think these improvements are
coming
> > from? Or, are you still saying it is not possible?
>
> Since few endurance athletes devote significant attention to
developing
> their neuromuscular power/anaerobic capacity, improvements such as
Phil's
> can readily be explained by a period of training focussing on this
ability.
> For example, I have power data on an elite track cyclist showing a 25% increase 5 s and 1 min
> power in just 2 months, simply as a result of changing the emphasis of their training. (I expect
> to make similar
gains
> myself during my specific prep for the 3k pursuit at master nationals
this
> year, which, since I've already gone as fast as Phil for 2k during a
3k
> event w/o any specific training, should enable me to blow away the
time he
> always likes to brag about...but that's a different story.)

This is nothing new. Power gains of this magnitude are normal for getting in shape for an event. My
gain was on top of that. If you want to impress me, improve you best 40K TT by 1 mph. Beating my
time, whatever that was, is very subjective i.e a 2-35 at Marymoor was apparently good for a 2-25 at
Colorado Springs.

Phil Holman

"Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Frank Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > take the drive train away. The losses are there whether there is a chain attached or not. Put
> > your bike on a stand and take the chain off and pedal at a cadence of 130 (or the highest
> > cadence you can sustain) and see if your HR increases. See how long you can do it. If it doesn't
> > take any energy why does your HR change (or mayby yours won't). Try it and report back.
>
> This experiment is a red herring, since it fails to differentiate between energy losses due to the
> properties of biomaterials vs. those that might have a physical basis on a larger scale. As Andrew
> Bradley has explained to you (and explained to you, and explained to you, and explained to you),
> NO - none, zero, nada, zip - energy is lost simply due to the legs going 'round and 'round.
> Rather, ALL - every little bit - of the energy loss occurs BEFORE the energy is transferred to the
> limb segments in the first place (this loss being due to the viscoelastic elements in muscle).
> Efficiency is therefore a complex function of cadence, and can't be predicted using your
> simplistic calculations that ignore energy transfer to the pedals (and in the process, violate
> Newtonian physics).

I'll "accept" your erudite explanation of where the losses are if you will accept that there are
losses and they vary with the cadence raised anywhere from the 3rd to the 4th power. Just one
question though, since we have two sets of data indicating these loses are not small and not
directly related to cadence (Phils's numbers and the other study he gave the data from) please
explain to me how viscoelastic losses vary with the cube or 4th power of the cadence? I missed that
in physics class. Must have been asleep as I was during a lot of my education, or so it seems.