Powercranks

"Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Phil Holman wrote:

And

> >> The difference (as really ought to be blindingly obvious) is that
it is
> >> enormously more difficult to develop the arm muscles to a point
where
> >> they are not the limiting factor rather than the cardiovascular
system,
> >> because they are inherently much smaller and not exercised by
walking.

> > And it just so happens that the limiting factor for cycling occurs
at
> > the point when the quads and glutes are fully developed and engaged
and
> > not one muscle fibre more (tongue in cheek) What a
coincidence.....don't
> > you think?
>
> Huh? The limiting factor in cycling becomes the cardiovascular system before the quads and glutes
> are "fully developed" -- so why would developing these muscles further change that?

How so? Athletes converting from other sports take several years to fully develope their cycling
ability despite excellent cardiovascular fitness. The limiting factor is at the muscle cell level.
Sports that utilize more muscle mass demonstrate higher oxygen utilization.

Phil Holman

Carl Fogel queried:

> On a related note, why do distance swimmers use both their arms and legs? Why do cross-country
> skiers use their poles while striding? I'm ignorant of these sports, but have the impression that
> they involve using all four limbs, not just two, and make huge cardiovascular demands.

I can answer that.

A bicycle has a very efficient drive train, solidly coupling the legs to the propulsion system.
There are small frictional losses, but virtually no slippage to the drive train.

A swimmer or skier has a very much less efficient way of converting leg effort into propulsion due
to the natures of the respective media.

A skier does have good coupling for the arm component of propulsion, but arms are way weaker
than legs.

Sheldon "Impedance Matching" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------+
| I met a traveler from an antique land | Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone | Stand in
| the desert. Near them, on the sand, | Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown, | And
| wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command, | Tell that its sculptor well those passions read, |
| Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things, | The hand that mocked them, and the heart
| that fed, | And on the pedestal these words appear: | "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: |
| Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair! | Nothing beside remains. Round the decay | Of that
| colossal wreck, boundless and bare | The lone and level sands stretch far away. | -Percy Bysshe
| Shelley |
+--------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

Frank Day wrote:

> Rowers and XC skiers have higher VO2 max capabilities than runners and cyclists because they use
> more muscle mass in their sports.

More accurately, it's because they use more muscle *groups* in their sports. Along with those
additional muscle groups come more blood vessels to carry in the oxygen and carry away the waste
products. If muscle mass alone were the limiting factor, one could simply build up one's quads in
the gym to produce a higher VO2max. If only it were that simple.

Carl Fogel writes:

>> The example you give are for different functions that are complementary in the sport. Pedaling is
>> a singular effort and it is best done with the principal muscles that humans develop naturally.
>> As I said, adding hand cranks to a bicycle do not improve propulsion.

>> There is another exercise that makes the effect more apparent and that is to ride at a high
>> constant rate on the level while mentally counting cadence 1-2-3-1-2-3... on each down stroke
>> while monitoring speed on a speedometer. Changing the regimen to push down only on the count of
>> "1" reduces power strokes to 1/3 as many, yet speed at the same effort will remain constant.
>> There is no benefit to this method other than to show that the effort is cardiovascular and not
>> round pedaling or PowerCranks.

> Are you saying that I should be able to maintain my highest normal level speed for miles by
> whirling my feet at the same cadence, but applying pressure only every third stroke?

Don't be so indirect. What is it you do not understand about the above text? I think it is
unambiguously stated and your searching questions seem a circuitous way of expressing disbelief. Go
out and try it and make you comments about that.

> Will I need to press three times as hard as normal every third stroke? Perhaps this is covered by
> "the same effort" in your brief example?

I think he's got it. I think he's got it. The rain in Sp...

> On a related note, why do distance swimmers use both their arms and legs?

Because they don't have a tail like a fish that propels itself with a single propulsion limb, so to
speak. You might as well ask why fish wag their tails from side to side for propulsion while
cetaceans wag up and down.

> Why do cross-country skiers use their poles while striding? I'm ignorant of these sports, but have
> the impression that they involve using all four limbs, not just two, and make huge cardiovascular
> demands.

Deep and searching questions, I see... How about golfers?

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

[email protected] (Frank Day) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> It is unlikely that the PowerCranks "work" as a result of either the Hawthorne effect or placebo
> because the first experience of every user is a substantial worsening of performance. Only after
> several weeks or months effort do the benefits become evident, although the typical new user can
> see the potential for benefit almost immediately.
>
> Frank (inventor of PowerCranks for those who don't know me)

[snip]

Dear Frank,

How does a substantial worsening of performance make a potential benefit almost immediately visible
to the typical new user?

Carl Fogel

Frank Day wrote:
> "Robert Chung" wrote
>> Excellent. So, since you read the paper, can you summarize what their initial hypothesis was and
>> its relationship to efficiency?
>
> The Hypothesis was essentially "Does sort-term training with PowerCranks improve cycling
> efficiency over traditional training"

That was their a priori hypothesis? Hmmm. Do you know why they hypothesized that PowerCranks would
improve efficiency? I thought you invented them to improve power.

> Carl Fogel writes:
>
> >> The example you give are for different functions that are complementary in the sport. Pedaling
> >> is a singular effort and it is best done with the principal muscles that humans develop
> >> naturally. As I said, adding hand cranks to a bicycle do not improve propulsion.
>
> >> There is another exercise that makes the effect more apparent and that is to ride at a high
> >> constant rate on the level while mentally counting cadence 1-2-3-1-2-3... on each down stroke
> >> while monitoring speed on a speedometer. Changing the regimen to push down only on the count of
> >> "1" reduces power strokes to 1/3 as many, yet speed at the same effort will remain constant.
> >> There is no benefit to this method other than to show that the effort is cardiovascular and not
> >> round pedaling or PowerCranks.
>
> > Are you saying that I should be able to maintain my highest normal level speed for miles by
> > whirling my feet at the same cadence, but applying pressure only every third stroke?
>
> Don't be so indirect. What is it you do not understand about the above text? I think it is
> unambiguously stated and your searching questions seem a circuitous way of expressing disbelief.
> Go out and try it and make you comments about that.
>
> > Will I need to press three times as hard as normal every third stroke? Perhaps this is covered
> > by "the same effort" in your brief example?
>
> I think he's got it. I think he's got it. The rain in Sp...
>
> > On a related note, why do distance swimmers use both their arms and legs?
>
> Because they don't have a tail like a fish that propels itself with a single propulsion limb, so
> to speak. You might as well ask why fish wag their tails from side to side for propulsion while
> cetaceans wag up and down.
>
> > Why do cross-country skiers use their poles while striding? I'm ignorant of these sports, but
> > have the impression that they involve using all four limbs, not just two, and make huge
> > cardiovascular demands.
>
> Deep and searching questions, I see... How about golfers?
>
> Jobst Brandt [email protected]

Dear Jobst,

Perhaps we're misunderstanding each other? I can't see how your example works or even applies, and
your reply hasn't cleared things up.

Our subject seems to be what limits our performance.

You seem to be saying that it's the cardiovascular system, not his leg muscles, which sounds
plausible in a general way to a layman like me.

But I can't make sense out of your example. In this thread, you've said that a rider can set a brisk
pace with two legs on level ground and continue to maintain the same pace with the same effort by
pedalling more forcefully every third stroke and not applying pressure on the other two strokes in a
One!-two-three fashion.

How does this address cardiovascular limits?

You do, after all, limit your case to level ground and a "brisk" pace. This doesn't sound as if any
cardiovascular limit is being tested.

Nor, if you'll forgive my doubts, does it seem likely from your frequent posts that you've measured
such efforts in meaningful way. That is, I haven't noticed any posts in which you've mentioned
wearing heart-rate or more esoteric monitors.

Watching a speedometer tells you how fast you're going, not how efficiently the human engine is
working. Wouldn't reaching even roughly the same level of effort with one leg as with two legs
require monitoring heart-rate or even more sophisticated matters, rather than any literally seat-of-the-
pants impression?

If I'm wrong, you can let us know how fast you went, how far, how long, and what your heart rate was--
and how close it was to your normal cardiovascular limit, which is the crucial question.

It would also help if you explained why level ground is necessary to cardiovascular function, so
that we could follow your logic. You may have sound reasons, but how does climbing resistance differ
from wind drag at the limit of cardiovascular function?

My naive expectation is that someone like Phil Holman, who trains regularly and is interested in
such things, would find himself unable to maintain the same speed near normal cardiovascular limit
using only one leg for an hour, either on the road or on a trainer bristling with monitoring
equipment that probably checks things other than my crude notions about heart rates.

But I've been wrong about bigger things, so I asked you what you meant. You didn't say anything new
or try to clear things up.

If I'm mistaken or have misunderstood you, perhaps it's because there's a difference between
reaching a correct conclusion and being able to explain it.

Let's ask Phil or some equally monitor-mad cyclists to test your theory by pedalling for half an
hour one day with two legs near their heart-rate limit and then for half an hour the next day with
only one leg? I gather that one-legged drills are popular with such folk, and you've put forward the
same theory in a one-legged version elsewhere on rec.bicycles.tech.

If they've already done the experiment, then we'll have the answer that much quicker. The same
effort and the same speed near the same cardiovascular limit with a different number of legs would
support your theory rather impressively. Otherwise, we'd have grounds to wonder whether other
factors might be more significant.

I'm interested and would be delighted to find out what really happens. Are you?

Carl Fogel

Originally posted by Carl Fogel
> [...]

reaching a correct conclusion and being able to explain it.

Let's ask Phil or some equally monitor-mad cyclists to test your theory by pedalling for half an
hour one day with two legs near their heart-rate limit and then for half an hour the next day with
only one leg? I gather that one-legged drills are popular with such folk, and you've put forward the
same theory in a one-legged version elsewhere on rec.bicycles.tech.

If they've already done the experiment, then we'll have the answer that much quicker. The same
effort and the same speed near the same cardiovascular limit with a different number of legs would
support your theory rather impressively. Otherwise, we'd have grounds to wonder whether other
factors might be more significant.

I'm interested and would be delighted to find out what really happens. Are you?

I am interested in the notion of cycling performance being limited solely to cardiovascular function. If this is the case then why do we do any specific training - for example hill repeats, speedwork etc ? If the only way to ride better is to improve Vo2 then we should all be training on indoor trainers at the same relative intensity to ensure maximum improvement. Surely improving muscular strength has got to have an impact (along with Vo2) on cycling performance ??

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Carl Fogel queried:
>
> > On a related note, why do distance swimmers use both their arms and legs? Why do cross-country
> > skiers use their poles while striding? I'm ignorant of these sports, but have the impression
> > that they involve using all four limbs, not just two, and make huge cardiovascular demands.
>
> I can answer that.
>
> A bicycle has a very efficient drive train, solidly coupling the legs to the propulsion system.
> There are small frictional losses, but virtually no slippage to the drive train.
>
> A swimmer or skier has a very much less efficient way of converting leg effort into propulsion due
> to the natures of the respective media.
>
> A skier does have good coupling for the arm component of propulsion, but arms are way weaker
> than legs.
>
> Sheldon "Impedance Matching" Brown

Dear Sheldon,

Where I'm not following you is why it matters how well the limbs are coupled. I think that I see
what you're saying. Chains work well, splashing is inefficient, and weak arms with good purchase
through a ski pole become useful when the alternative is slipping on the snow. (I expect the
swimmers and skiiers are gnashing their teeth.)

Where I'm not following you is why it matters how well the limbs are coupled on the bicycle. That
is, my arms and legs don't care what the result is, as far as I can see. They just wave hopefully
at whatever my cardiovascular limit may be and are turned into forward motion by equally
effective chains.

The question seems to be how do various combinations of limbs affect the ratio between effort and
cardiovascular limits.

Arms might work more efficiently than legs, but this seems unlikely. (Why? Because that's my
prejudice. They're smaller, and smaller muscles are less efficient. That's why weightlifters with
bulging leg muscles beat skinny fellow at marathons . . . Fine, I don't have an explanation, but
that's how I feel.)

Or arms might work roughly as well as legs, but then they wouldn't be practical because of the
burden of the extra transmission.

Or it could be that whatever the relative efficiency of the arms and legs at using the heart and
lungs turns out to be, it nevertheless helps to spread the effort out over four limbs (or quite the
opposite). I think that Jobst has argued for using fewer muscles.

Or the arms might use the cardiovascular system less efficiently than the legs for some reason and
therefore waste the available effort internally, not externally as with ski-poles versus ski-
bottoms, or kicking versus arm-strokes in the pool.

(I was fascinated to read in an earlier rec.bicycles.tech thread that swimmers get their propulsion
from arm-strokes, not leg-strokes:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=6eu4o2%24chp%241%40nnrp1.dejanews.com&output=gplain

Of course, Tom Kunich may be insane, but I hope not. I always thought that legs were what mattered
in swimming and like to be startled.)

Or . . .

I have an uneasy feeling that the topic is not nearly as cut and dried as some posts declare.

In general, I incline to the idea that a pair of legs is by God all that we need and using any other
muscles is durned foolishness!

(Besides, how the hell do you set up an arm-crank that can be used comfortably for long distances?
And how do you train yourself to spread the effort out over four limbs instead of two? Two legs work
pretty durned well, you damned sodbusters! And--and--well, none of this really addresses
cardiovascular resources and whether two limbs or four use them better.)

I can't quite follow Jobst's "one leg will pedal as well as two" theory. His proposed experiment
seems to be well below cardiovascular limits, must be performed on level ground, and doesn't explain
how he can tell the effort is the same with one leg as with two or with one power stroke every third
time. I've asked him again, so he may explain these things--or may have explained them elsewhere
years ago.

I haven't got a good answer for Phil Holman's recent comment in this thread about how odd it is that
our cardiovascular limits should just happen to match our leg muscles:

> And it just so happens that the limiting factor for cycling occurs at the point when the quads and
> glutes are fully developed and engaged and not one muscle fibre more (tongue in cheek) What a
> coincidence.....don't you think?

I'm not asking for much. Just give me a brief, clear, all-encompassing explanation of the mechanics
of several complicated sports and most of human physiology, plus a lot of tricky details about
physics and practical applications. Let me know as soon as it's all worked out and you all agree!

Seriously, I do appreciate your suggestion about skiing and swimming. You certainly addressed
my question, so I'm pleased, but I probably need to figure out how to ask my real question a
lot better.

Thanks,

Carl Fogel

Carl Fogel writes:

>>> Are you saying that I should be able to maintain my highest normal level speed for miles by
>>> whirling my feet at the same cadence, but applying pressure only every third stroke?

>> Don't be so indirect. What is it you do not understand about the above text? I think it is
>> unambiguously stated and your searching questions seem a circuitous way of expressing disbelief.
>> Go out and try it and make you comments about that.

>>> Will I need to press three times as hard as normal every third stroke? Perhaps this is covered
>>> by "the same effort" in your brief example?

>> I think he's got it. I think he's got it. The rain in Sp...

>>> On a related note, why do distance swimmers use both their arms and legs?

>> Because they don't have a tail like a fish that propels itself with a single propulsion limb, so
>> to speak. You might as well ask why fish wag their tails from side to side for propulsion while
>> cetaceans wag up and down.

>>> Why do cross-country skiers use their poles while striding? I'm ignorant of these sports, but
>>> have the impression that they involve using all four limbs, not just two, and make huge
>>> cardiovascular demands.

>> Deep and searching questions, I see... How about golfers?

> Perhaps we're misunderstanding each other? I can't see how your example works or even applies, and
> your reply hasn't cleared things up.

> Our subject seems to be what limits our performance.

> You seem to be saying that it's the cardiovascular system, not his leg muscles, which sounds
> plausible in a general way to a layman like me.

> But I can't make sense out of your example. In this thread, you've said that a rider can set a
> brisk pace with two legs on level ground and continue to maintain the same pace with the same
> effort by pedaling more forcefully every third stroke and not applying pressure on the other two
> strokes in a One!-two-three fashion.

> How does this address cardiovascular limits?

It shows that a rider is able to push harder intermittently than continuously and that the
difference arises from rest time in which the muscles can be resupplies. It is similar to stopping
on a climb for a shot time and noticing that the grade wasn't so steep after all when restarting.
Intermittent pedaling shows that it is not a lack of muscular force that limits speed but rather how
well these muscles are fed with energy.

> You do, after all, limit your case to level ground and a "brisk" pace. This doesn't sound as if
> any cardiovascular limit is being tested.

That is because only on such terrain a letup in pedaling does not immediately reduce speed as it
would on a hill where speed is low and momentum likewise. That is not the issue.

> Nor, if you'll forgive my doubts, does it seem likely from your frequent posts that you've
> measured such efforts in meaningful way. That is, I haven't noticed any posts in which you've
> mentioned wearing heart-rate or more esoteric monitors.

I use an accurate speedometer to measure speed in 0.1mph resolution. How would you measure speed
variations at your speed threshold?

> Watching a speedometer tells you how fast you're going, not how efficiently the human engine is
> working. Wouldn't reaching even roughly the same level of effort with one leg as with two legs
> require monitoring heart-rate or even more sophisticated matters, rather than any literally seat-of-the-
> pants impression?

I see you don't ride bike or at least are not aware of what one experiences in a flat TT. Once
underway, increasing speed is not an option if riding at max endurance speed. It's like getting
dropped by another rider, you can't do anything about it and you can watch your speedometer as
though its display were frozen as you try to stay on as the other rider increases his gap on you. It
is at that level that you can try this experiment and realize that it isn't muscles or ankling that
is holding you back.

> If I'm wrong, you can let us know how fast you went, how far, how long, and what your heart rate
> was--and how close it was to your normal cardiovascular limit, which is the crucial question.

I want you to try it so you can see this first hand. I first discovered this many years ago while
trying various things I had left over from my HS swim team, one of which was three kicks per arm
stroke/breath of air.

> It would also help if you explained why level ground is necessary to cardiovascular function, so
> that we could follow your logic. You may have sound reasons, but how does climbing resistance
> differ from wind drag at the limit of cardiovascular function?

Speed! Momentum! Stop asking so many questions that would be resolved if you rode a bicycle.

> My naive expectation is that someone like Phil Holman, who trains regularly and is interested in
> such things, would find himself unable to maintain the same speed near normal cardiovascular limit
> using only one leg for an hour, either on the road or on a trainer bristling with monitoring
> equipment that probably checks things other than my crude notions about heart rates.

Who ever suggested using one leg?

> But I've been wrong about bigger things, so I asked you what you meant. You didn't say anything
> new or try to clear things up.

Stop dodging.

> If I'm mistaken or have misunderstood you, perhaps it's because there's a difference between
> reaching a correct conclusion and being able to explain it.

I think if you review what I wrote that it is unambiguous and only willful misinterpretation or a
preconceived notion could make it unclear. What I wrote was terse and to the point in contrast to
the confusing runaround you have generated rather than try the simple experiment and commenting on
your results.

> Let's ask Phil or some equally monitor-mad cyclists to test your theory by pedaling for half an
> hour one day with two legs near their heart-rate limit and then for half an hour the next day with
> only one leg? I gather that one-legged drills are popular with such folk, and you've put forward
> the same theory in a one-legged version elsewhere on rec.bicycles.tech.

I have made this proposal often over the last 20 years on this forum and no one has found it
lacking. I'm sure that there are people who cannot master the count just as there are people who
cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. We have heard of these and sometimes I thing they are
here on wreck.bike.

> If they've already done the experiment, then we'll have the answer that much quicker. The same
> effort and the same speed near the same cardiovascular limit with a different number of legs would
> support your theory rather impressively. Otherwise, we'd have grounds to wonder whether other
> factors might be more significant.

What means "different number of legs"? There are two legs involved in this experiment, no
more no less.

> I'm interested and would be delighted to find out what really happens. Are you?

I know the answer but apparently not having a bicycle, you can't find out.

peterwright wrote:

> I am interested in the notion of cycling performance being limited solely to cardiovascular
> function. If this is the case then why do we do any specific training - for example hill repeats,
> speedwork etc ? If the only way to ride better is to improve Vo2 then we should all be training on
> indoor trainers at the same relative intensity to ensure maximum improvement. Surely improving
> muscular strength has got to have an impact (along with Vo2) on cycling performance ??

Hill repeats and speedwork increase one's aerobic capacity.

Originally posted by Robert Chung
peterwright wrote:

> I am interested in the notion of cycling performance being limited solely to cardiovascular
> function. If this is the case then why do we do any specific training - for example hill repeats,
> speedwork etc ? If the only way to ride better is to improve Vo2 then we should all be training on
> indoor trainers at the same relative intensity to ensure maximum improvement. Surely improving
> muscular strength has got to have an impact (along with Vo2) on cycling performance ??

Hill repeats and speedwork increase one's aerobic capacity.

Yes, but so does flat steady road work at the correct intensity so why bother with hills etc ?

peterwright wrote:

> Yes, but so does flat steady road work at the correct intensity so why bother with hills etc ?

1. Different inertial loads.
2. Trainers are mind-numbing.

[email protected] (Frank Day) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

>Most significant to my mind was the improvement in pedaling efficiency (watts per VO2 uptake) from
>21 to 23% which correlated with a 14 bpm drop in HR at the same power (155 to 141) if I remember
>the number correctly. The non PC group showed some improvement but it was insignificant
>statistically. There was no improvement in VO2 max at the end for either group.

If you said "Powercranks are more efficient" I'd say yes, because you use a lower cadence and lower
cadence is more efficient. But here cadence was fixed at 80rpm.

Are these the results you expected? I would have thought, if anything, VO2 max would have come out
higher due to the "more muscle groups" thing.

Do you have an explanation of what was found here?

The study didn't come up with a convincing explanation, especially not (speaking of training the 9
o'clock to TDC sector):

"Training this third phase with powercranks may give a more effective pedal stroke, reducing or
eliminating any negative torque produced (and thus, wasted energy) and allowing more energy to be
transfered to the forward movement of the bicycle."

Andrew Bradley

"Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote
> > >
> > Yeah, in a way I do. Can somebody tell me why using more muscle groups
isn't
> > better? And also why do your muscles get tired/exhausted? Is it only
because
> > your cardiovascular system is not keeping up, or can the muscles get
tired
> > even if they get enough fuel? I know that I've been a better rider after starting to use the
> > back stroke actively.
>
> How's that? Your "back stroke" muscles only have about 10% of the power of your "fore stroke"
> muscles, so 100% use would make you 3% faster. That's
if
> you weren't already cardio-vascularly limited, and didn't suffer from any overhead or
> inefficiencies in recruiting the extra muscles. I think your
gains
> are in your imagination.

Where have you got this information. You're saying that I'm not able to lift more than 12.5 kiloes
with one foot. Even though I've not tested this I'm quite sure I'll do much more than that. I know I
can (or at least could a couple of years back) lift 250 kiloes with my feet. i.e. 125kiloes on each
foot. 10% of that is 12.5 kiloes. Hjalmar

Hjalmar Duklæt wrote:
> "Peter Cole" wrote:
>>
>> How's that? Your "back stroke" muscles only have about 10% of the power of your "fore stroke"
>> muscles,
>>
> Where have you got this information. You're saying that I'm not able to lift more than 12.5 kiloes
> with one foot. Even though I've not tested this I'm quite sure I'll do much more than that. I know
> I can (or at least could a couple of years back) lift 250 kiloes with my feet. i.e. 125kiloes on
> each foot. 10% of that is 12.5 kiloes.

I don't know where he got that 10% number either, but Peter said "of the power," not "of the
strength."

Robert Chung wrote:
> peterwright wrote:
>>
>> Yes, but so does flat steady road work at the correct intensity so why bother with hills etc ?
>
> 1. Different inertial loads.
> 2. Trainers are mind-numbing.

So are you saying that basically any training that takes the HR up far enough and long enough will
increase aerobic performance?

--
Perre

Phil Holman <[email protected]> wrote:
>"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[Hand cyclists may both push and pull.]
>>The difference (as really ought to be blindingly obvious) is that it is enormously more difficult
>>to develop the arm muscles to a point where they are not the limiting factor rather than the
>>cardiovascular system, because they are inherently much smaller and not exercised by walking.
>And it just so happens that the limiting factor for cycling occurs at the point when the quads and
>glutes are fully developed and engaged and not one muscle fibre more (tongue in cheek)

It's unwise to be "tongue in cheek" when poor thinking on your part is the issue.

The limiting factor for cycling is _not_ at the point where the leg muscles used are fully
developed; bodybuilders obviously can get enormously more powerful leg muscles than even the
strongest cyclists.

Rather, it is harder to develop the cardiovascular system than the leg muscles, and so (after the
initial period at the start of cycling, where the leg muscles must catch up with the CV system), the
leg muscles easily keep up with any improvements in the CV system.

Phil Holman <[email protected]> wrote:
>"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>Even if it is, it may well be that using legs alone would not make efficient use of the available
>>power. This is not the case for cycling.
>References please?

For what? For the speculation about XC skiing? That's _speculation_.

As for cycling, I don't think you can seriously dispute that pushes on the pedals are
efficiently turned into forward motion; the efficiency of common bicycle drivetrains has been
very widely measured.