Powered Bikes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sundance, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Sundance

    Sundance Guest

    Anybody have comments/experience with "Golden Eagle"gas
    powered bikes????

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Motorcycles? Generally the legal-ish definition of 'bicycle'
    includes something about 'human powered' to differentiate
    from motorcycles.

    "Sundance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Anybody have comments/experience with "Golden Eagle"gas
    | powered bikes????

  3. On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 03:53:34 -0500, "Doug Huffman"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Motorcycles? Generally the legal-ish definition of
    >'bicycle' includes something about 'human powered' to
    >differentiate from motorcycles.

    Mopeds and other similar devices with engines displacing
    less than 50cc (or some horsepower threshold) aren't
    motorcycles, but require operators to wear motorcycle
    helmets. in VA, anyway.

    If I wanted a motorcycle, I'd get a motorcycle.

    -Luigi

    >"Sundance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >| Anybody have comments/experience with "Golden Eagle"gas
    >| powered bikes????

  4. Menotomy

    Menotomy Guest

    Try posting your questions to our Discussion Area under the
    "Motorized Bicycle" section.

    Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc. http://OldRoads.com

    >Anybody have comments/experience with "Golden Eagle"gas
    >powered bikes????

  5. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Motorcycles? Generally the legal-ish definition of
    > 'bicycle' includes something about 'human powered' to
    > differentiate from motorcycles.

    Aye. However, it's clear that any "jointly powered" bike
    will have much more in common with an HPV than with a motor-
    only bike.

    It is a very tough balance to strike-- motor assist that
    actually helps significantly without eclipsing the human
    power input. Giant's LA Free bikes have some sort of system
    that adds motor torque in proportion to pedal pressure.
    That gives a sort of "bionic legs" effect that seems ideal,
    especially for older or weaker riders in challengingly
    hilly areas.

    Chalo Colina

  6. Chalo wrote:

    > "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Motorcycles? Generally the legal-ish definition of
    >>'bicycle' includes something about 'human powered' to
    >>differentiate from motorcycles.
    >

    > Aye. However, it's clear that any "jointly powered" bike
    > will have much more in common with an HPV than with a motor-
    > only bike.
    >
    > It is a very tough balance to strike-- motor assist that
    > actually helps significantly without eclipsing the human
    > power input. Giant's LA Free bikes have some sort of
    > system that adds motor torque in proportion to pedal
    > pressure. That gives a sort of "bionic legs" effect that
    > seems ideal, especially for older or weaker riders in
    > challengingly hilly areas.
    >
    > Chalo Colina

    Power assisted bicycles which are primarily human powered
    are quite different from mopeds which are generally only
    human powered to start the motor. Unfortunately, most
    jurisdictions ignore the functional difference and lump the
    two together legally.

    Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

    "Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact
    that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife
    beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive
    there's something wrong with him." Art Buchwald

  7. Rl

    Rl Guest

    "Sundance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anybody have comments/experience with "Golden Eagle"gas
    > powered bikes????

    You know, they make electric-powered ones too. Go for one of
    those; then you won't pollute.

  8. RL wrote:

    > "Sundance" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Anybody have comments/experience with "Golden Eagle"gas
    >>powered bikes????
    >

    > You know, they make electric-powered ones too. Go for one
    > of those; then you won't pollute.

    You think electricity comes from the electric fairy? In the
    U.S., 71.4% comes from burning fossil fuels, mostly coal.
    Source CIA, 2003 data. And then there are the toxic
    chemicals in the batteries. Electric bikes have pitiful
    ranges. Healthy cyclists should be able to pedal futher
    without lugging around heavy batteries. For short distances,
    an electric bike may be suitable for disabled or elderly
    people, but for most cyclists human power out performs
    batteries. For long distances beyond your capability, gas is
    the way to go.

    Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

    "Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact
    that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife
    beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive
    there's something wrong with him." Art Buchwald

  9. Rl

    Rl Guest

    "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > RL wrote:
    >
    > > You know, they make electric-powered ones too. Go for
    > > one of those;
    then
    > > you won't pollute.
    >
    > You think electricity comes from the electric fairy? In
    > the U.S., 71.4% comes from burning fossil fuels, mostly
    > coal. Source CIA, 2003 data. And then there are the toxic
    > chemicals in the batteries. Electric bikes have pitiful
    > ranges. Healthy cyclists should be able to pedal futher
    > without lugging around heavy batteries. For short
    > distances, an electric bike may be suitable for disabled
    > or elderly people, but for most cyclists human power out
    > performs batteries. For long distances beyond your
    > capability, gas is the way to go.

    Well, I generate all my electricity off solar cells on my
    roof and a couple bicycle-powered generators; I've been off
    the electric grid since '98.

    (On Usenet, no one can see your nose grow.)