powerlink question.....

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tango, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. Tango

    Tango Guest

    hi,
    just seeking confirmation that the sachs 9 speed(gold) powerlink is
    compatible with a 10 speed(shimano) chain. anybody here use one and if so
    had any problems,clicking or bad shifts?
    TIA
    Tango

    Tags:

  2. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    On 05 Mar 2006 15:40:58 GMT, Tango <[email protected]> wrote:

    >hi,
    >just seeking confirmation that the sachs 9 speed(gold) powerlink is
    >compatible with a 10 speed(shimano) chain. anybody here use one and if so
    >had any problems,clicking or bad shifts?

    It "works" but the 9 speed link is noticeably wider than the 10 speed
    chain so it is not a perfect mix.

    Until SRAM makes a 10 speed link and chain, I'm running an IRD 1010
    chain with it's "snap link" (very similar to the SRAM), because I
    have issues with Wipperman's asymmetrical connex. The IRD snap link
    is available separately, but pricey @ $10.99
    http://www.interlocracing.com/chains.html

  3. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Dans le message de news:[email protected],
    Doug Taylor <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
    > On 05 Mar 2006 15:40:58 GMT, Tango <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> hi,
    >> just seeking confirmation that the sachs 9 speed(gold) powerlink is
    >> compatible with a 10 speed(shimano) chain. anybody here use one and
    >> if so had any problems,clicking or bad shifts?

    > It "works" but the 9 speed link is noticeably wider than the 10 speed
    > chain so it is not a perfect mix.
    >
    > Until SRAM makes a 10 speed link and chain, I'm running an IRD 1010
    > chain with it's "snap link" (very similar to the SRAM), because I
    > have issues with Wipperman's asymmetrical connex. The IRD snap link
    > is available separately, but pricey @ $10.99
    > http://www.interlocracing.com/chains.html

    I'm having very good luck and wear with KMC's 10V chain, and it has its own
    link. They say it's not removable - just that it's how the chain goes
    together. Haven't need to find out yet. Somewhere around 4000 km and very
    quiet. In Europe, at Décathlon (under its brand, but identified as KMC), it
    sells for 20?, link included.
    --
    Bonne route !

    Sandy
    Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

  4. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Dans le message de news:[email protected],
    Doug Taylor <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
    > On 05 Mar 2006 15:40:58 GMT, Tango <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> hi,
    >> just seeking confirmation that the sachs 9 speed(gold) powerlink is
    >> compatible with a 10 speed(shimano) chain. anybody here use one and
    >> if so had any problems,clicking or bad shifts?

    > It "works" but the 9 speed link is noticeably wider than the 10 speed
    > chain so it is not a perfect mix.
    >
    > Until SRAM makes a 10 speed link and chain, I'm running an IRD 1010
    > chain with it's "snap link" (very similar to the SRAM), because I
    > have issues with Wipperman's asymmetrical connex. The IRD snap link
    > is available separately, but pricey @ $10.99
    > http://www.interlocracing.com/chains.html

    I'm having very good luck and wear with KMC's 10V chain, and it has its own
    link. They say it's not removable - just that it's how the chain goes
    together. Haven't need to find out yet. Somewhere around 4000 km and very
    quiet. In Europe, at Décathlon (under its brand, but identified as KMC), it
    sells for 20?, link included.
    --
    Bonne route !

    Sandy
    Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

  5. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 05 Mar 2006 15:40:58 GMT, Tango <[email protected]> wrote:

    >just seeking confirmation that the sachs 9 speed(gold) powerlink is
    >compatible with a 10 speed(shimano) chain. anybody here use one and if so
    >had any problems,clicking or bad shifts?

    1.5 years and zero problems.

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Sandy wrote:
    > I'm having very good luck and wear with KMC's 10V chain, and it has its own
    > link. They say it's not removable - just that it's how the chain goes
    > together. Haven't need to find out yet. Somewhere around 4000 km and very
    > quiet. In Europe, at Décathlon (under its brand, but identified as KMC), it
    > sells for 20?, link included.

    We build our new Campagnolo bikes (yes, Record) with that
    chain. We find the link reusable and speculate the
    admonishment of 'one use' is a version of CYA.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  7. Tango wrote:
    > hi,
    > just seeking confirmation that the sachs 9 speed(gold) powerlink is
    > compatible with a 10 speed(shimano) chain. anybody here use one and if so
    > had any problems,clicking or bad shifts?
    > TIA
    > Tango

    I think you should use the Wipperman snap link for 10s. Either the 6.2
    or the 6.05 width one.