Powerlink software for PT

peterwright

Mar 5, 2003
Hi all

has anyone got any updates on the new powerlink software ?
I see there is a download on the cycle-ops site but once I have it installed it just won't run and uses all my CPU power just to open - have I got a dodgy version here or is it just that you need mega power to run the stuff ?

It certainly is a big application and uses java etc but i cannot believe it will only run on a mega fast machine.

Thanks

Peter

peterwright said:
Hi all

has anyone got any updates on the new powerlink software ?
I see there is a download on the cycle-ops site but once I have it installed it just won't run and uses all my CPU power just to open - have I got a dodgy version here or is it just that you need mega power to run the stuff ?

It certainly is a big application and uses java etc but i cannot believe it will only run on a mega fast machine.

Thanks

Peter
This just demonstrates how easy it is to make a slow program in Java. :)
I tried it on the hottest machine available (at work) when this came out and it was still super slow. It's not worth the download. find someone with the older version of the Link software (not Link Lite) and use that instead or buy Cyclingpeaks.

I agree with Woofer. Neither version of the PT software would work on my XP machine. PowerTap tech support was supposed to send me a new version of PT Lite but failed to do so. Cyclingpeaks software costs $75 you can try it for free for 14 days before buying. It has worked from the gitgo, has more features than PT and tech support answers emails.

Marty Kotecki

I agree with Woofer and Marty. PT's expertise is capturing data. They don't have the best software. CyclingPeaks expertise is exploiting power data, regardless of the source (SRM, PT, et al). Get CyclingPeaks. It's fast, user friendly and has tons of features. Paul

I have to say I am shocked how poor the PowerLink software is.

- Java? Come on... it's slow, slow, slow. I'm on a P4 2.4 with 1GB of RAM... this type of software should be fast (a la, Polar Precision Performance Software, which I miss already)
- Graphing (1)? Woefully inflexible. I just installed the software and looked at a 4.7km installation test ride I did with the PT SL. Unless I'm missing something blatantly obvious I can't change the horizontal scale to less than 2 km per "screen". Selecting "Full Graph" gives me a graph with zeroes on the horizontal axis.
- Graphing (2). MAP graph won't draw with my 2 second peak on scale... the line shoots off the top of the graph. Nice.

Man, I figured it couldn't be so bad and I'd try it for a while before trying alternatives. I was wrong. I will be trying CyclingPeaks later tonight but it is a bit of a kick in the nuts considering the cost of the PT that we have to seek other software.

There is no decision...CyclingPeaks provides the analytical tools to allow conclusive decisions regarding your progress, and your ongoing training protocol. No other software out there does it as well. It could use some tweaks, but I'm focusing on what it does do, not what it doesn't.