Powerlink with shimano chain?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jonathan Bond, Mar 23, 2003.

  1. Getting an XT chain with the XT groupset I ordered from shimano (sponsorship gig), but I'm partial
    to my SRAM/Sachs chains. I really like the powerlink, for one. Is it possible to use a powerlink
    with a shimano chain, or am I better off just to ride the XT till it breaks (already broken one
    shimano chain, and that was when I was still under 130lbs!), drop another 25 bux on the new bike and
    get a new S/S chain? I'd throw the one I have on my bike on it, but I don't want to wear out the new
    drivetrain.

    Thanks again!

    If I can convince my parents to lend me a hundred bucks or so, I might be riding a blue powdercoated
    Blur with a Marzocchi Marathon SL on it within the next month. Mmmmm.... Bike shop here has the
    frame in the basement, and they said they could give me a deal on it during their big sale next
    week. Its either that or a 4 month wait and no discount... ouch!

    Jon Bond

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Getting an XT chain with the XT groupset I ordered from shimano (sponsorship gig), but I'm partial
    > to my SRAM/Sachs chains. I really like the powerlink, for one. Is it possible to use a powerlink
    > with a shimano chain, or am I better off just to ride the XT till it breaks (already broken one
    > shimano chain, and that was when I was still under 130lbs!), drop another 25 bux on the new bike
    > and get a new S/S chain? I'd throw the one I have on my bike on it, but I don't want to wear out
    > the new drivetrain.
    >
    > Thanks again!

    I've read on the internet that folks have used Powerlinks with Shimano chains with no probs.

    > If I can convince my parents to lend me a hundred bucks or so, I might be riding a blue
    > powdercoated Blur with a Marzocchi Marathon SL on it within the next month. Mmmmm.... Bike shop
    > here has the frame in the basement, and they said they could give me a deal on it during their big
    > sale next week. Its either that or a 4 month wait and no discount...
    ouch!

    > Jon Bond

    If there is no go with the 'rents let me know. I may be good for a loan.

    Mike - I know someone in NE who'll break your legs for a Maudite. ;^)

    ..or at least cover your car in snot rockets!

  3. Michael Dart wrote:
    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Getting an XT chain with the XT groupset I ordered from shimano (sponsorship gig), but I'm partial
    >>to my SRAM/Sachs chains. I really like the powerlink, for one. Is it possible to use a powerlink
    >>with a shimano chain, or am I better off just to ride the XT till it breaks (already broken one
    >>shimano chain, and that was when I was still under 130lbs!), drop another 25 bux on the new bike
    >>and get a new S/S chain? I'd throw the one I have on my bike on it, but I don't want to wear out
    >>the new drivetrain.
    >>
    >>Thanks again!
    >

    > I've read on the internet that folks have used Powerlinks with Shimano chains with no probs.
    >

    >>If I can convince my parents to lend me a hundred bucks or so, I might be riding a blue
    >>powdercoated Blur with a Marzocchi Marathon SL on it within the next month. Mmmmm.... Bike shop
    >>here has the frame in the basement, and they said they could give me a deal on it during their big
    >>sale next week. Its either that or a 4 month wait and no discount...
    >
    > ouch!
    >
    >>Jon Bond
    >>

    > If there is no go with the 'rents let me know. I may be good for a loan.
    >
    > Mike - I know someone in NE who'll break your legs for a Maudite. ;^)
    >
    > ..or at least cover your car in snot rockets!

    Hmm, I think I owe that person a saddle, thats currently sitting in a box waiting to be shipped... I
    think I'm in deep snot ;)

    Jon Bond

  4. On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 19:09:17 +0000, Jonathan Bond did issue forth:

    > Is it possible to use a powerlink with a shimano chain

    Been there, done that, and it worked.

  5. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

  6. > Is it possible to use a powerlink with a shimano chain

    Works for me

    Cheers

    http://www.mtbbikes.co.uk

  7. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > Getting an XT chain with the XT groupset I ordered from shimano (sponsorship gig), but I'm partial
    > to my SRAM/Sachs chains.

    I used to be that too but I have changed my mind. The last time I used a Sachs chain it did not
    change gears as swiftly as the Shimano changes do, since then I use only IG 92 or Durace chains. It
    is not a big deal to carry a few of those little pegs that join Shimano chains, in fact they work
    without too if they are joined rightly.

    Per

  8. Trentus

    Trentus Guest

  9. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  10. Chris Breen

    Chris Breen Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Getting an XT chain with the XT groupset I ordered from shimano (sponsorship gig), but I'm partial
    > to my SRAM/Sachs chains. I really like the powerlink, for one. Is it possible to use a powerlink
    > with a shimano chain, or am I better off just to ride the XT till it breaks (already broken one
    > shimano chain, and that was when I was still under 130lbs!), drop another 25 bux on the new bike
    > and get a new S/S chain? I'd throw the one I have on my bike on it, but I don't want to wear out
    > the new drivetrain.
    >
    > Thanks again!
    >> Jon Bond
    I'm not sure about the power link, but I have been using a super link
    (http://www.theramp.net/craig/slmain.html) with a shimano chain for years with no problems. I know
    Sheldon's shop sells them, or your LBS should be able to order them for you (mind did). Chris.