Powerlink with shimano chain?

Jonathan Bond

Guest
Getting an XT chain with the XT groupset I ordered from shimano (sponsorship gig), but I'm partial
to my SRAM/Sachs chains. I really like the powerlink, for one. Is it possible to use a powerlink
with a shimano chain, or am I better off just to ride the XT till it breaks (already broken one
shimano chain, and that was when I was still under 130lbs!), drop another 25 bux on the new bike and
get a new S/S chain? I'd throw the one I have on my bike on it, but I don't want to wear out the new
drivetrain.

Thanks again!

If I can convince my parents to lend me a hundred bucks or so, I might be riding a blue powdercoated
Blur with a Marzocchi Marathon SL on it within the next month. Mmmmm.... Bike shop here has the
frame in the basement, and they said they could give me a deal on it during their big sale next
week. Its either that or a 4 month wait and no discount... ouch!

Jon Bond

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Getting an XT chain with the XT groupset I ordered from shimano (sponsorship gig), but I'm partial
> to my SRAM/Sachs chains. I really like the powerlink, for one. Is it possible to use a powerlink
> with a shimano chain, or am I better off just to ride the XT till it breaks (already broken one
> shimano chain, and that was when I was still under 130lbs!), drop another 25 bux on the new bike
> and get a new S/S chain? I'd throw the one I have on my bike on it, but I don't want to wear out
> the new drivetrain.
>
> Thanks again!

I've read on the internet that folks have used Powerlinks with Shimano chains with no probs.

> If I can convince my parents to lend me a hundred bucks or so, I might be riding a blue
> powdercoated Blur with a Marzocchi Marathon SL on it within the next month. Mmmmm.... Bike shop
> here has the frame in the basement, and they said they could give me a deal on it during their big
> sale next week. Its either that or a 4 month wait and no discount...
ouch!

> Jon Bond

If there is no go with the 'rents let me know. I may be good for a loan.

Mike - I know someone in NE who'll break your legs for a Maudite. ;^)

..or at least cover your car in snot rockets!

Michael Dart wrote:
> "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Getting an XT chain with the XT groupset I ordered from shimano (sponsorship gig), but I'm partial
>>to my SRAM/Sachs chains. I really like the powerlink, for one. Is it possible to use a powerlink
>>with a shimano chain, or am I better off just to ride the XT till it breaks (already broken one
>>shimano chain, and that was when I was still under 130lbs!), drop another 25 bux on the new bike
>>and get a new S/S chain? I'd throw the one I have on my bike on it, but I don't want to wear out
>>the new drivetrain.
>>
>>Thanks again!
>

> I've read on the internet that folks have used Powerlinks with Shimano chains with no probs.
>

>>If I can convince my parents to lend me a hundred bucks or so, I might be riding a blue
>>powdercoated Blur with a Marzocchi Marathon SL on it within the next month. Mmmmm.... Bike shop
>>here has the frame in the basement, and they said they could give me a deal on it during their big
>>sale next week. Its either that or a 4 month wait and no discount...
>
> ouch!
>
>>Jon Bond
>>

> If there is no go with the 'rents let me know. I may be good for a loan.
>
> Mike - I know someone in NE who'll break your legs for a Maudite. ;^)
>
> ..or at least cover your car in snot rockets!

Hmm, I think I owe that person a saddle, thats currently sitting in a box waiting to be shipped... I
think I'm in deep snot ;)

Jon Bond

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 19:09:17 +0000, Jonathan Bond did issue forth:

> Is it possible to use a powerlink with a shimano chain

Been there, done that, and it worked.

> Getting an XT chain with the XT groupset I ordered from shimano (sponsorship gig), but I'm partial
> to my SRAM/Sachs chains.

I used to be that too but I have changed my mind. The last time I used a Sachs chain it did not
change gears as swiftly as the Shimano changes do, since then I use only IG 92 or Durace chains. It
is not a big deal to carry a few of those little pegs that join Shimano chains, in fact they work
without too if they are joined rightly.

Per

"Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Getting an XT chain with the XT groupset I ordered from shimano (sponsorship gig), but I'm partial
> to my SRAM/Sachs chains. I really like the powerlink, for one. Is it possible to use a powerlink
> with a shimano chain, or am I better off just to ride the XT till it breaks (already broken one
> shimano chain, and that was when I was still under 130lbs!), drop another 25 bux on the new bike
> and get a new S/S chain? I'd throw the one I have on my bike on it, but I don't want to wear out
> the new drivetrain.
>
> Thanks again!
>> Jon Bond
I'm not sure about the power link, but I have been using a super link
(http://www.theramp.net/craig/slmain.html) with a shimano chain for years with no problems. I know
Sheldon's shop sells them, or your LBS should be able to order them for you (mind did). Chris.