PowerLung Products

Frank in Toledo

Sep 13, 2005
Has anyone here ever used gadget made by PowerLung that helps you regain respiratory strength and enables you to breathe easier when you exercise. The url is a follows:

http://www.powerlung.us/en/index.htm

Please post your experience if you have used this or other product(s) designed for the purpose of better breathing.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank in Toledo said:
Has anyone here ever used gadget made by PowerLung that helps you regain respiratory strength and enables you to breathe easier when you exercise. The url is a follows:

http://www.powerlung.us/en/index.htm

Please post your experience if you have used this or other product(s) designed for the purpose of better breathing.

Thanks,

Frank
==========================================================
Come on people - I'd like to know re these things too. It doesn't even have to be that brand - similar is fine.
Paul :)

Hi I am not trying to discourage you from your purchase but here are a few things to consider.

Have you looked at the clinical evidence supporting the claims being made. I looked at the research and could not reconcile how the studies conducted relate to cycling. For instance the claims being made that the product will increase lung capacity have been backed by one study which was performed on the elderly. Some of this improvement in this age group is probably related to an improvement in elastic capacity of old unused lungs. In an athlete population I very much doubt this device would increase ventilatory capacity.

However their claim regarding improving inspiratory and expiratory muscle strength may well be true. However again I doubt this would benefit a cyclist unless they are at their maximum all the time. Unless you do 500m and 1000m events it is very unlikely you will spend a great deal of time at PEMax and PIMax. Notice the only study performed on athletes was performed on sprint athletes and not endurance athletes.

Good luck with your purchase but if you are trying to become a better endurance cyclist then perhaps your money would be better spent elsewhere.