Powermeter training indoors or out?

eortiz

Nov 12, 2003
I want to get some opinion on using a Powermeter (Still need to avail of one) indoors or outdoors? I have about 1.5 hrs. I can spare each day (weekday) for training. I figured I can maximize my time by training indoors (no traffic, no freewheeling, etc.) with a Powermeter. So, would I get the same results as if I was training outdoors with a Powermeter? I'm guessing yes, since power is power but what's your opinion? Thanks in advance for your reply.

That depends on what your goals are. Read this: Alex's Cycle Blog: Turbocharged Training

The above is great advice to maximize your indoor training.

The big advantages to training indoors are the abilities to closely control your power output (no obstacles, traffic, terrain, etc) and to efficiently use the time available (no coasting, stopping, driving to a suitable ride location).

The challenges to training indoors are cooling, motivation, boredom, and less time to develop bike handling skills.

There are tradeoffs, but indoor riding can be a great way to gain fitness.

jollyrogers,
Thanks for the reply. The four factors that relate to indoor training in the article isn't really a problem for me except of course the cooling part. But I think I got that covered with 2 fans blowing directly at me and everything that I can open to have air coming in is open. I'm also not concerned about FTP difference between in and out. But I will do a baseline for both just for reference. So, my goal is to really maximize my workout time by doing a quality :) workout.

eortiz said:
I want to get some opinion on using a Powermeter (Still need to avail of one) indoors or outdoors? I have about 1.5 hrs. I can spare each day (weekday) for training. I figured I can maximize my time by training indoors (no traffic, no freewheeling, etc.) with a Powermeter. So, would I get the same results as if I was training outdoors with a Powermeter? I'm guessing yes, since power is power but what's your opinion? Thanks in advance for your reply.
You can use a power meter both indoors and outdoors. Racing and training. Going easy or hard.

Using it outdoors it will take a lot of the guesswork out of working out the answer to the question: "how hard is hard?".

It can also help you to better understand whether your existing training is effective, or how and what changes you may need to make.

Eortiz,

90% of my training is on the trainer (I live in a big, crowded city and don't have much free time to ride.). As said previously, having one or two large, industrial fans is crucial. I'll add that it also helps a lot if it's cool where you are training. The temperature 'sweet spot' for my indoor workouts is 16C and the upper limit is 22C to 23C (which I'm getting even with room AC cranking now in August). I've heard of some dedicated 'indoor trainers' even adding a separate window AC unit to get their training room temp down.

Bailsibub said:
I've heard of some dedicated 'indoor trainers' even adding a separate window AC unit to get their training room temp down.

If you're in a position to where training indoors is really preferable to riding through bad weather or miles of city roads then it's not a bad investment. Even if it cost $1000, it's still small change compared to what some people spend on their bikes and we all should know that it's really the training that gets us up the road fast and not the fancy bike... and if it enhances your training environment significantly then it's well worthwhile.

I guess I'm lucky to live in a climate where basically whenever the climate prohibits biking, I can open a window and get nice and cooled off indoors without ever buying an extra window AC unit.

eortiz said:

Depends on how you respond to training. My own experience is that I need a good dose of outdoors training or I get conditioned to isopower efforts and I can't handle the peaky nature of power/torque requirements out on the road.