PowerTap 2.4 - Individual Leg Power?

bwbike

Oct 26, 2009
I recently purchased a PowerTap 2.4 (on a pre-built Bontrager wheel). I have finally come into the world of power. :D

My question is; is there software available to discern the power applied from each leg? :confused:

I'm using the PowerAgent 7.4.5.6 software that came with the unit and it has no provision to separate each leg.

I know I can do one legged stuff on the trainer this winter, but it would be nice if someone figured out a way for the PT to glean this information (yea, I know SRM and Polar can do this).

bwbike said:
My question is; is there software available to discern the power applied from each leg? :confused:
No.

Poalr makes a guess based on chain tension.

SRM can only provide torque data if you have the special torque data option and an old PCIV with the correct firmware and extra port.

Even then it's not really telling you each leg independently since they are connected by the cranks.

Alex Simmons said:
. . . Even then it's not really telling you each leg independently since they are connected by the cranks.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe it's not even worth it to worry about it.

Maybe I'll do a few sessions this winter on the trainer just to see what one leg can do. What would be a fair assessment? Two minutes each leg averaged over say, 3-5 intervals?

bwbike said:
Thanks for the reply. Maybe it's not even worth it to worry about it.

Maybe I'll do a few sessions this winter on the trainer just to see what one leg can do. What would be a fair assessment? Two minutes each leg averaged over say, 3-5 intervals?
I'd stick with your first thought and not worry about it.

bwbike said:
I recently purchased a PowerTap 2.4 (on a pre-built Bontrager wheel). I have finally come into the world of power. :D

I'm using the PowerAgent 7.4.5.6 software that came with the unit and it has no provision to separate each leg.

I know I can do one legged stuff on the trainer this winter, but it would be nice if someone figured out a way for the PT to glean this information (yea, I know SRM and Polar can do this).

Just buy a set of PowerCranks and learn how to suffer. You'll be forced to pedal pretty much equally with both legs and there'll be no time to soft pedal.

The first 12 weeks will be about as much fun as having your face rubbed across 120grit glass paper and salt poured in the wounds, but it's worth it.