Powertap 2.4 or polar cs600

kennybear

Jul 10, 2006
I'm new to power training, so I need some advice (please)
I think the pt is the better unit but it sure has it's problems.
The cs600 is a bit more bulky and seems to not have enough memory.
At 1000.00 more, I really don't know what to get...help

Polar has already screwed up in that you can only record 3.5 hours or so of ride data at 1 sec intervals - It's discussed in this forum in another thread. You can choose 5 second duration but it just records the power at that sampling time and not the average. Once you have seen how variable power is over a short poeriod of time you will see this is unaceptable.

It also remains to be seem how easy the setup of the new power unit is on the Polar and it's not advertised to be as accurate as the PT (especially if setup badly).

On the other hand, there does seem to be alot of warranty issues with the PT, however their returns handling is amazing. Also, even the last generation of Polar (6,7xx) had bags more consumer functions than the PT (altitude, file handling, light, stopwatch etc).

In the end though I'm sticking with the PT as it has all you need to get stacks of data into TrainingPeaks where the real analysis is done - I was also considering the new Polar but the memory/power detection method are major limitations.

kennybear said:
I'm new to power training, so I need some advice (please)
I think the pt is the better unit but it sure has it's problems.
The cs600 is a bit more bulky and seems to not have enough memory.
At 1000.00 more, I really don't know what to get...help

As dazman said-your going to need customer support sooner or later when youve got a power measuring device it seems. Its good to know that the CS with the Power Tap is awesome!! Now having said that, I havent used ergomo, Polar or iBike or SRM so they might have great support as well. all I do know is that Saris rocks!

3 rides into my new ergomo pro and I'm happy with the wattage numbers. No problems like the PT's have. I also use the default K Factor and don't fudge anything. With ergomo you can use any wheels you want.

I got mine new through ebay at $1230 shipped. But this seems like a good place to get it --

http://www.bellatisport.com/shop/category/117/POWER-TRAINING.html

But I'm also happy with my old Polar Power units, only thing I don't like is the 5 sec recording rate.