Powertap 2.4 SL dropouts - a broken wire?

Bleve

Dec 12, 2004
I've had my new PT SL 2.4 for a week, and have had a lot of dropouts as described in a number of threads here, I've been waiting for this since April last year (in Australia, it's been .. frustrating!).

Anyway ... I figured the first thing I'd do would be to replace the hub batteries - EPX76's are $9 each here! So, I pull the hub cover off with the nice hubcover tool, pop the battery cradle out and notice that there's a blue wire briding something on the little circuitboard, but it's not .. ie: it seems to have become detatched from whatever it's meant to be attached to.

So, if anyone has one, can you open it up and let me know where the wire connects? I can re-solder it if I know where it belongs (this kind of really shoddy electronics does *not* belong on such an expensive piece of equipment ...).

The board has a row of 5 pins and a row of six pins, the wire is soldered on at the 6th pin on the bottom row (right next to the '7' at the end of the board track. I think it's meant to connect to the first solder pad on the top row (1 of 5) which isn't actually a pin, but a solder bed. If you look at it, you'll see what I mean. It doesn't make sense though, if that's it, as that's the other end of the same board track, but maybe it's a bridge because the track is dodgey?

Can anyone confirm where the wire should be soldered? Maybe a photo or a diagram?

Further to this, I put in new batteries, taped the end of the wire up to insulate it, on a punt, and put it back together, and it works ... so WTF is the wire for?! Redundancy?

I'll know tomorrow after a ride if the new batteries have solved the dropout problem .... but would still like to know where the wire's meant to connect.

Bleve said:
Further to this, I put in new batteries, taped the end of the wire up to insulate it, on a punt, and put it back together, and it works ... so WTF is the wire for?! Redundancy?

I'll know tomorrow after a ride if the new batteries have solved the dropout problem .... but would still like to know where the wire's meant to connect.
From http://www.cyclingforums.com/t349137.html

"Just to follow up after speaking with Saris (excellent customer service I found). The little blue wire is only to help pull out the battery pack, so no need for it to be soldered at both joints. My hub is now working fine after the chap showed me the error of my ways (battery in the wrong way!)."

TF

Thanks Terry, that's quite bizarre. The battery carrier already has two small handles on the sides. Am about to go and ride the thing for a few hours .. will see if the new cells has fixed it.