powertap and american classic??? rumour

Old Junker

Dec 11, 2005
i just heard a rumour*** (not from a good source)*** about american classic and powertap getting togther to build a wheel , is it true???? this would really make an interesting combo reducing the weight of the wheel and making it a better racing performer and ending or adding to the the dilema of what power meter to buy.

Old Junker said:
i just heard a rumour*** (not from a good source)*** about american classic and powertap getting togther to build a wheel , is it true???? this would really make an interesting combo reducing the weight of the wheel and making it a better racing performer and ending or adding to the the dilema of what power meter to buy.
It will be a great lightweight alternative for those that weigh less than 140lbs and don't put out much power. :D

wilmar13 said:
It will be a great lightweight alternative for those that weigh less than 140lbs and don't put out much power. :D
I'd have to agree, AC make some pretty interesting lightweight wheels, but i've heard you have to be a lightweight rider that's pretty easy on wheels for them to actually hold up. I like my bontrager xlite aero PT wheels, pretty good all round, affordable, stiff, 1800g, aero, pretty good for a guy my size.

Personally I'd like to see Mavic adapt the powertap hub for the ksyrium wheels. My ksyrium elite's are on my trainning bike i use most of the time, cause they're pretty much bomb proof although not quite as stiff.

I'm not sure what rim/spoke setup they would use, but I don't know that you would have to be super lite, or lack power. I've got an AC Sprint 350 built up with CXrays on a SL hub. I'm 150lb (maybe a little lite, but not super lite), and sprint at around 1350 watts (no McEwen, but serves me well in the 4s). I've also beat the **** out of the wheel on some really bad central valley roads. Never had a problem with it. Incidentally, the rear wheel weighs 940 gms without the skewer.

Last time I asked, you can contact American Classic and send them your rear hub and they will build a wheel for you ( they don't let anyone else build with the 420 rims.)

If one can do 19+w/kg for 5 seconds, one is doing something very wrong to remain a cat 4... :)

Woofer said:
Last time I asked, you can contact American Classic and send them your rear hub and they will build a wheel for you ( they don't let anyone else build with the 420 rims.)

If one can do 19+w/kg for 5 seconds, one is doing something very wrong to remain a cat 4... :)

I believe that's true. I had a sprint 350s wheelset and I had the LBS swap rear hubs.

And actually, 1350 is my best peak, 5s is 1280. I don't know how much difference that makes, but there's more to winning a crit than w/kg. (but I'm getting closer!)