Powertap Computer Connection

mloywhite

Apr 6, 2005
What type of connector do you use to download from a Powertap SL to your pc? Does it come with the unit, or do you have to buy it aftermarket? I am switching from my Polar to a Powertap, but did not know how the download works. Thanks, Mike.

mloywhite said:
What type of connector do you use to download from a Powertap SL to your pc? Does it come with the unit, or do you have to buy it aftermarket? I am switching from my Polar to a Powertap, but did not know how the download works. Thanks, Mike.

I did this last week. I had been using an adapter (Belkin) that plugged into the USB port of my laptop, then connected to the serial plug on the Polar's infrared unit. When I got the Powertap it came with a serial plug on it's little docking station for the handlebar computer. I unplugged the Polar infrared unit from the Belkin adapter and plugged the PowerTap's serial plug into it instead, told the Powertap software what port to use (COM 3) and download began without issues.

I also think you could use a serial male to male (?) jack to connect the PowerTap's docking station to the PC.

BTW, Analyticcycling.com has the PowerTap Pro wheel with CyclingPeaks software for $800 plus $8 shipping. They shipped the day I ordered it.