Powertap computer questions

azdroptop

May 25, 2005
1. When in interval mode and on AVG watts is the average done over the full interval time, or every X number of seconds.

2. If I "clr" the computer while out on a ride, is the data deleted off of the computer or will it still be there to download when I get home? I forgot to clr yesterdays info before starting my ride today and was on interval 7 and the time ect was all off. I left it alone since I was unsure if the new data would be deleted.

3. Does it always take 3 or 4 times to downlaod info to your computer or is it just mine that times out. Mac user.

4. HR seems to not work very well. Guess it could be the battery, but it is a new unit??? Normal problem? Thanks in advance.

azdroptop said:
1. When in interval mode and on AVG watts is the average done over the full interval time, or every X number of seconds...
The average is over the total interval duration. Remember the PT can display the running interval or the entire ride whether or not an interval has been triggered. If you hold the left button down for a couple of seconds you toggle between "interval display" and "full ride display" modes which also triggers the first interval if you haven't previously started an interval. But regardless of display mode a double button tap triggers a new interval which can be viewed later or by toggling into "interval display mode". But assuming you're displaying interval data, not full ride data then the average represents the average for the running interval.

You can also set up your PT CPU to average all displayed data, it doesn't effect recorded data but you can set the display averaging to something like 5, 10 or 30 seconds to smooth out the real time data which is different than viewing average power. It just smooths the displayed data with a rolling filter to make it less jumpy.

And you can toggle into interval memory mode to review stats from your last 9 intervals by being in interval display mode, scrolling the arrow to point to the interval number and holding the right button for several seconds. Then you can scroll through each interval and check things like average and peak power, speed, etc. Toggling back to full ride display or holding the right button for several seconds with the interval number highlighted toggles out of memory review mode.

2. If I "clr" the computer while out on a ride, is the data deleted off of the computer or will it still be there to download when I get home?
Yep, hit clr and all data is wiped from memory and no longer available for upload. In the future if you forget to clear the CPU before the ride, don't worry about it. WKO+ will see these as seperate rides if enough time has elapsed (an hour or so IIRC) between them and you only need to drag one of them to your WKO+ calendar. And if you're using some other program that doesn't break the ride into segments then just upload it all and delete the data that's redundant from a previous ride.

3. Does it always take 3 or 4 times to downlaod info to your computer or is it just mine that times out. Mac user...
Sounds like you've got some issue, what are you using for uploading data? Golden Cheetha, WKO+ with Parallels, Bootcamp, Power Agent?

4. HR seems to not work very well. Guess it could be the battery, but it is a new unit??? Normal problem?
That was common with the pre 2.4 PTs but the newer units with coded straps seem to work pretty reliably. If you've got a 2.4 PT (wired or wireless, they both have the coded HR receiver) then you shouldn't be having HR issues. Check the strap battery, make sure the strap is tight and not slipping down and wet the contacts with saliva or conductive gel before riding.

-Dave

Thxs Dave.

So I have an 09 PT + so I'll recheck the battery on the HR situation.
As for the upload I am using power agent currently. I hear there are better programs, but I just wanted to get started and figure this thing out. :)

daveryanwyoming said:
The average is over the total interval duration. Remember the PT can display the running interval or the entire ride whether or not an interval has been triggered. If you hold the left button down for a couple of seconds you toggle between "interval display" and "full ride display" modes which also triggers the first interval if you haven't previously started an interval. But regardless of display mode a double button tap triggers a new interval which can be viewed later or by toggling into "interval display mode". But assuming you're displaying interval data, not full ride data then the average represents the average for the running interval.

You can also set up your PT CPU to average all displayed data, it doesn't effect recorded data but you can set the display averaging to something like 5, 10 or 30 seconds to smooth out the real time data which is different than viewing average power. It just smooths the displayed data with a rolling filter to make it less jumpy.

And you can toggle into interval memory mode to review stats from your last 9 intervals by being in interval display mode, scrolling the arrow to point to the interval number and holding the right button for several seconds. Then you can scroll through each interval and check things like average and peak power, speed, etc. Toggling back to full ride display or holding the right button for several seconds with the interval number highlighted toggles out of memory review mode.

Yep, hit clr and all data is wiped from memory and no longer available for upload. In the future if you forget to clear the CPU before the ride, don't worry about it. WKO+ will see these as seperate rides if enough time has elapsed (an hour or so IIRC) between them and you only need to drag one of them to your WKO+ calendar. And if you're using some other program that doesn't break the ride into segments then just upload it all and delete the data that's redundant from a previous ride.

Sounds like you've got some issue, what are you using for uploading data? Golden Cheetha, WKO+ with Parallels, Bootcamp, Power Agent?

That was common with the pre 2.4 PTs but the newer units with coded straps seem to work pretty reliably. If you've got a 2.4 PT (wired or wireless, they both have the coded HR receiver) then you shouldn't be having HR issues. Check the strap battery, make sure the strap is tight and not slipping down and wet the contacts with saliva or conductive gel before riding.

-Dave

Regarding the download I had a similar issue, despite an indication of "Host" I was not getting the computer fully seated in the USB cradle. I have found that "Host" does not guarantee a good connection has been made. Make sure it clicks and is mounted flush when you install it in the cradle. After correcting this mine downloads first time every time.

Thxs 82,

i've tried pretty much everything and it continues to freeze during upload. So, I changed my record time to 2 secs and then reinstalled poweragent and yesterday's ride went in o.k. We shall see what happens after tomorrow's ride.

I"m still having HR issues after a battery change as well. It works most of the time, but is certainly not consistant.

82zman said:
Regarding the download I had a similar issue, despite an indication of "Host" I was not getting the computer fully seated in the USB cradle. I have found that "Host" does not guarantee a good connection has been made. Make sure it clicks and is mounted flush when you install it in the cradle. After correcting this mine downloads first time every time.