Powertap customer service, not to shabby.

stormer94

May 19, 2004
No secret to the people that hang on the power training threads that I have had a dilly of a time with some problems with a new powertap SL setup. But, all you can do is call and hope to iron them out.

I called Cycleops, they said they'd even send me out a test wheel and some parts. Yep, they got here today. All the parts it takes to get a guy running. Not only did the guy say he'd send out a test wheel, the wheel they sent to try is brand new, AND they sent a complete additional powertap setup, and yet another computer. If I can't make it work from this point, it can't be done.

I'll try and get it going tonight or before the weekend. I hope to get it running soon. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Although it sucks to get a new broken toy, it can't be said they didn't give the first attempt at a solution a 110% effort.

Of course, it'd be great if you didn't have to take advantage of a company's great customer service...

Squint said:
Of course, it'd be great if you didn't have to take advantage of a company's great customer service...

Everybody makes mistakes though. The true test of character is how they deal with it after the fact...

DeanC said:
Everybody makes mistakes though. The true test of character is how they deal with it after the fact...

SRM's service is also great. You just hardly ever have to use it.

Seven years is a long time to keep making mistakes, including new mistakes along the way.

Yeah been dealing with Cycleops Cust. Svc. myself this past week. I am satisfied.

In fact, I don't want to keep bugging them but I have another nitpicker concerning the optimal operation of a 300PT indoor bike.

If anyone out there has one of these bad boys, please, please, please come to my aid.

SketchySmurf,

How do you like your 300PT? I am looking at getting an dedicated indoor cycle rather than putting my bike on a trainer. Or buying a gym membership. Cost wise a gym membership is the most economical.

What don't you like about it? The only downside that I have about the Powertap computer is that it doesn't track elevation. I like to know how many feet that I climb.

Thanks
ScubaD

I can't speak from experience, but I hear the elevation functions on many models are not very accurate...

The 300PT is great. I've been a member of a gym but I'm going to put it on hold and look into maybe getting a coach. The bike is incredibly sturdy and very sure footed (given you've made the proper adjustments.)

The problems I've encountered thus far:
1) Although packaging and every retailer site/store says its mac compatible...it's not.

2) Depending on your OS, you may have to download drivers to get the console to transfer your .csv files. A relatively simple procedure, but took me days of trial and error.

3) I felt that my bike was hastily assembled by the retail store. The calipers were misaligned and the flywheel was broken. There are some adjustments you might have to make on your own.

4) The resistance knobs don't have any indicators so that you can replicate them at a later workout. I made little white out markings to indicate specific resistance.

5) Depending on your body type/weight, you may have to buy a more comofortable seat. The one it comes with is a generic, cheap road seat which can be pretty unforgiving especially during long rides. Since you obviously don't care about weight/aerodynamics, a gel seat would is nice.