Powertap, cycling peaks and polar 720

GBJ Chris

Apr 28, 2005
Background
Been using a Polar 720 for the last couple of years (without power). Looking at getting a powertap SL and using cycling peaks. I'm a pro triathlete so want to log both run and bike data.

A couple of questions, if you will:

1. How do you rate cycling peaks v. the polar software - i.e. usefulness for logging run data from a polar HRM and cycling data from PT?

2. If you use a PT, and train for multiple sports, what software (if not cycling peaks) do you use for logging your run data and swim km's, for example?

Any insights appreciated.

GBJ Chris said:
Background
Been using a Polar 720 for the last couple of years (without power). Looking at getting a powertap SL and using cycling peaks. I'm a pro triathlete so want to log both run and bike data.

A couple of questions, if you will:

1. How do you rate cycling peaks v. the polar software - i.e. usefulness for logging run data from a polar HRM and cycling data from PT?

i don't use Peaks, so perhaps i'm not well qualified to answer this, but i don't think you can log any data from non cycling training

2. If you use a PT, and train for multiple sports, what software (if not cycling peaks) do you use for logging your run data and swim km's, for example?

i would suggest using Crosstrak, see www.crosstrak.com or http://www.crosstrak.com/?REFID=23

ric

Thanks Ric. Looks like an interesting solution. I'm presuming you still have to download the PT data through their software before uploading to Crosstalk?

I see there is annual charge of USD 15 for a Premium Membership (or something similar), is it possible just to keep using the software without renewing this membership annually?

Have you looked at the TrainingPeaks.com site. I've stopped using the Polar software and have downloaded all my data to this site. They support Polar, SRM, Powertap ect as well as Cycling peaks (and use some of it's analysis)
Changed the way I train, for the better!!!

gavinb said:
Have you looked at the TrainingPeaks.com site. I've stopped using the Polar software and have downloaded all my data to this site. They support Polar, SRM, Powertap ect as well as Cycling peaks (and use some of it's analysis)
Changed the way I train, for the better!!!
Yep, looked at the site and have heard lots of comments like yours. What I need to find out about CP is if one can log data from other sports (running, XC skiing et al) in addition to cycling info? Do you know?

GBJ Chris said:
Yep, looked at the site and have heard lots of comments like yours. What I need to find out about CP is if one can log data from other sports (running, XC skiing et al) in addition to cycling info? Do you know?

Yes, give it a try, you can log whatever sport you like as you can set up custom sports. I've gone as far as to set up a catagory for Equine Dressage and show jumping that I do in the winter!!
You can also log data from routes save from GPS!
It will give you Seperate Bike Run and Swim HR zones, Power analsys using Ffiel or Coggan Zones.

PS I have no connection to Training Peaks, I'm just a very satisfied customer

Coolio, just what I wanted to hear.

BTW, is there any type of dressage other than 'Equine dressage'? Female side of the family off to Badminton this w/e for the 3 day, so I'm well aquainted with matters equine.

GBJ Chris said:
Coolio, just what I wanted to hear.

BTW, is there any type of dressage other than 'Equine dressage'? Female side of the family off to Badminton this w/e for the 3 day, so I'm well aquainted with matters equine.

Sorry, most people havn't heard of dessage. Marshal for the Cycle Kingdom Liphook Spring Classic on Sunday and fence judge for a hunter trials on Monday......

Rather you than me.

BTW, do you use it with a PT? If so, can you dowload the data directly to CP or do you have to use the PT software, then transfer the file?

Cheers.

GBJ Chris said:
Rather you than me.

BTW, do you use it with a PT? If so, can you dowload the data directly to CP or do you have to use the PT software, then transfer the file?

Cheers.

No, I have the polar power(ish) meter. What ever meter you use, you need to download it to your local PC then upload it.

gavinb said:
Yes, give it a try, you can log whatever sport you like as you can set up custom sports. I've gone as far as to set up a catagory for Equine Dressage and show jumping that I do in the winter!!
You can also log data from routes save from GPS!
It will give you Seperate Bike Run and Swim HR zones, Power analsys using Ffiel or Coggan Zones.

PS I have no connection to Training Peaks, I'm just a very satisfied customer
If I understand the OP's question correctly, he was asking if he could log other sports into CP, not TP. The answer to that question is, it depends what data you want to log. CP will accept power and HR data currently, and in the future may accept some other types of data, but not sure when that will happen. If you really want to know what you can do with it, call CP and ask, or download the trial version.

CP will download directly from the PT if you don't want to use the PT software.

BTW, I know some like Crosstrak, but I tried it and feel that Trainingpeaks in combination with CP is an unbeatable combination for tracking multisport data, if you want to log power data. Trainingpeaks interfaces seemlessly with CP and vice versa. Customer support at Trainingpeaks is also top notch. Whenever I have had a problem, which isn't often, they have resolved it the same day.

Disclosure, I'm affiliated with Peaks Coaching Group, but not with Cyclingpeaks or Traininpeaks, just think they're both great products.

Steve