Powertap dilemma

flapsupcleanup

Aug 14, 2004
I just dropped the bucks for a new Orbea frame. This thing is a work of art. I dont have wheels yet but I would prefer a set that match the classiness of the frame. Now the problem is this: my powertap is in an openpro wheel, it works great but is pretty ugly. So what to do? Here's the possibilities I can think of: Ride the Orbea without power in the club rides and races and train on my old bike with power. Ummm thats the only solution I can think of really. I could ride the Orbea with the OpenPro/powertap occasionally and the good wheel other times. But this would mean swapping the wiring harness also.

Anyone else deal with this one? Or am I just being anal???

flapsupcleanup said:
I just dropped the bucks for a new Orbea frame. This thing is a work of art. I dont have wheels yet but I would prefer a set that match the classiness of the frame. Now the problem is this: my powertap is in an openpro wheel, it works great but is pretty ugly. So what to do? Here's the possibilities I can think of: Ride the Orbea without power in the club rides and races and train on my old bike with power. Ummm thats the only solution I can think of really. I could ride the Orbea with the OpenPro/powertap occasionally and the good wheel other times. But this would mean swapping the wiring harness also.

Clearly the problem is that you have color vision. You should do something about that.

-Eric

Is this serious? How can anyone ride their bike without a power meter??? Think about all the rides that could have been racking up your CTL. :D Your post is so wrong in many ways that I have no idea where to begin. Damn, just sell your powertap and problem solved.

flapsupcleanup said:

You guys are a lot of help. :confused:

That's why it's a dilemma. I want power. But do I want it so badly as to put an ugly wheel on the bike? It's an Orbea. C'mon now. No one cares about asthetics?

The obvious solution is to lace the hub into the cool wheels. The hub however is 32 spokes. Sell my hub on ebay and buy another?

On the other hand, on my club rides and races, after almost 3 yrs with the powertap I know pretty closely what my TSS was on a ride. For training, there is no question, I have to have power.

As in all things, the answer is easy. Just add money :)

flapsupcleanup said:
I just dropped the bucks for a new Orbea frame. This thing is a work of art. I dont have wheels yet but I would prefer a set that match the classiness of the frame.
Seems pretty simple to me -- a new bike needs new wheels. I see at least two options: 1) drop another wad on a set of SL 2.4 laced Hed Alps or Jets, 2) buy an SRM and ride any old bling-ed out wheels you want.

flapsupcleanup said:
...Or am I just being anal???

In a word...yes. :)

You've got to ask yourself, "What's more important, consistently training and racing with/by power or looking cool?"

BTW, an Open Pro rim is a nice, relatively light rim.

Just my 2 pesos.

I feel your pain.

I have a gorgeous new Cervelo, which was spec'd with bling wheels (Ksyrium ES's), but now I have decided I would love to have a powermeter as I have become much more serious about my riding (I don't race... this is for fun/fitness). I hate to think what a open pro would look like in the back with the bling wheel in the front. I just wish I had my revelation about a power meter before I spent the money to upgrade the wheels. Too bad I can't build a powertap into the Ksyrium rim. I could always go with Zipp 303s, but I worry about using them as my everyday wheel with our roads out here. Also, hard for me justify the cost, or even worse a SRM (so I can keep my wheels), as I am not a racer.

But, perhaps if you sent me your wheel I could give it a try and see if its worth the sacrifice. Problem is, I will probably get hooked on the PM and my Ksyriums will be history (too many on ebay lately !!!)

Thom Y,

I too have a new Cervelo and I used to have ES wheels.
I sold them to help fund the PT:D
Open Pro FTW.