PowerTap download stops after 256 records

retrograde

Feb 13, 2006
Having an odd problem downloading data from my PowerTap Standard CPU. The download starts out fine but after 256 records CyclingPeak returns an error saying there is no data to download (there's 2.5 hours of data in the CPU).

Similar errors are returned by PowerAgent and Link -- the download starts but aborts after ~256 records.

I did install the SRMWin eval version since my last successful PTap download. The PTap CPU may of been in the cradle while I was messing with SRMWin and there's a chance I may of hit a button in SRMWin so that it tried to download data or update settings on my CPU. Installing SRMWin is the only change I've made to my computer recently.

There's some interesting data in the CPU and I'd like to exhaust all posibilities to retrieve it before 'rebooting' the CPU (by removing the battery) and losing the data.

Has anyone had similar issues and found a solution?

Thanks.

P.S.: I'm using a regular PowerTap serial cradle. No USB adapter.

retrograde said:
Having an odd problem downloading data from my PowerTap Standard CPU. The download starts out fine but after 256 records CyclingPeak returns an error saying there is no data to download (there's 2.5 hours of data in the CPU).

Similar errors are returned by PowerAgent and Link -- the download starts but aborts after ~256 records.

I did install the SRMWin eval version since my last successful PTap download. The PTap CPU may of been in the cradle while I was messing with SRMWin and there's a chance I may of hit a button in SRMWin so that it tried to download data or update settings on my CPU. Installing SRMWin is the only change I've made to my computer recently.

There's some interesting data in the CPU and I'd like to exhaust all posibilities to retrieve it before 'rebooting' the CPU (by removing the battery) and losing the data.

Has anyone had similar issues and found a solution?

Thanks.

P.S.: I'm using a regular PowerTap serial cradle. No USB adapter.
Yes, this is a rare, but known bug.
Use the David Easter solution.
http://www.david256.com/power/ptrescue/

Thanks for the quick reply Woofer.

CyclingPeaks 'Tools>Recover Data from PowerTap Standard...' did manage to pull data but it appears corrupt (937w peak 30min power ... I wish!!).

Is the CP 'Tools>Recover Data from PowerTap Standard...' command in there to specifically address this bug? If so, am I likely to see clean data using the David Easter approach? As I'm a stubborn sod I'll give it a shot, but if the CP 'Recover Data...' command is there for this very reason, there may not be much of a point.

Is there anything I should to safeguard against stumbling across this bug again?

retrograde said:
Thanks for the quick reply Woofer.

CyclingPeaks 'Tools>Recover Data from PowerTap Standard...' did manage to pull data but it appears corrupt (937w peak 30min power ... I wish!!).

Is the CP 'Tools>Recover Data from PowerTap Standard...' command in there to specifically address this bug? If so, am I likely to see clean data using the David Easter approach? As I'm a stubborn sod I'll give it a shot, but if the CP 'Recover Data...' command is there for this very reason, there may not be much of a point.

Is there anything I should to safeguard against stumbling across this bug again?
I don't know the answer to any of your questions - a.) I don't use cycling peaks yet b.) I stopped using the PowerTap standard CPU.

The David Easter solution worked both of the times I needed to use it.

I know it's pricey in some respects but the PowerTap Pro CPU downloads much faster(if you download every ride this is huge), can store more data than the standard, and the battery lasts much longer in the Pro CPU, and IIRC it doesn't have this bug ( just other ones. :) ). IIRC the CPU by itself costs less than a nice racing front wheel.

The David Easter solution worked! All is well. Thanks.

I've got two Standard wheelsets, CPUs, etc., and am getting ready to buy a new road bike, so I think I'm wedded to the older stuff for the time being. At least until I'm skinny enough to justify an SL.:)

retrograde said:
The David Easter solution worked! All is well. Thanks.

I've got two Standard wheelsets, CPUs, etc., and am getting ready to buy a new road bike, so I think I'm wedded to the older stuff for the time being. At least until I'm skinny enough to justify an SL.:)

Glad to hear that it worked.

BTW I have two standard CPU's that I use for one purpose - troubleshoot problems, mostly to make sure the Pro CPU is not at fault. Whenever you do switch over to using a Pro CPU you will wonder why you waited so long. That's the way I felt and I delayed for quite a bit. :)

Woofer said:
Glad to hear that it worked.

BTW I have two standard CPU's that I use for one purpose - troubleshoot problems, mostly to make sure the Pro CPU is not at fault. Whenever you do switch over to using a Pro CPU you will wonder why you waited so long. That's the way I felt and I delayed for quite a bit. :)
Thanks for the perspective. I know what you mean when, after a technology purchase, you wonder why you waited to make the upgrade (TiVo comes to mind). However there are a few other higher priority cycling-related purchases that have to happen first.

I came across this issue yesterday after my long spin. I treid to aply the solution but the software won't find the head unit.

I'm using the USB cradel and this is on COM3 but still won't work.

Is this a case of 3hr+ worth of dat gone ?

Sometimes I have this problem when I have a lot of things using Java running so quitting my browsers or rebooting works to fix this. The other thing that can happen is the spring under the contact in the cradle starts to fail and you lose electrical contact after the download starts so I've had to fix a couple of these to keep the pin against the contact.

OK, thanks. I've tried with TrainingPeaks, old CyclingPeaks and PowerAgent but nothing works.

It's the first time it's happened & I'll try as suggested.

and so it happened again... at one stage the word "data" kept flashing at the bottom of the screen and now I can't download anothe important file.

Is there ANY other way to get to the data ??

If I recall correctly, the early wired yellow kit user manual had a DOS c prompt command whereby one could upload to a computer.
Anybody recall what the command line and extensions were (are)?

I pulled out the side contact with the battery and this SEEMS to have sorted out the issue.

The first time I used Hpypospitt I was really happy with the control of the oil applicator. The needle applicator is just the right lenght to allow reach to all the pivot points on your derailleurs and brake calipers. The pocket clip comes in handy allowing you to hold the applicator in you pocket while working on your bike.