Powertap Elite vs Pro

Gains

Apr 28, 2010
I'm about to buy a Powertap and am trying to find out about the difference between the Elite and the Pro:

On Saris' site, apart from the hub weight and axle material (neither of which I'm bothered about) the only differences are that the Pro supports 'Onboard Analysis' and outputs peak (maximum average) power.

Can anybody tell me first of all what this 'Onboard Analysis' is, and secondly for what would a peak power reading be used? My understanding was that power training was based around Critical Power, which is derived from the average power over a given time period.

I got the Pro+, but have never used the onboard analysis. Honestly, I never even RTFM to learn how to use it or what it does -- yeah, it's that important.

I have used the greater memory capacity (15hr vs. 7hr, IIRC), however, during a team training camp away from my download PC. That's another CPU difference you didn't mention above.

frenchyge said:
I got the Pro+, but have never used the onboard analysis. Honestly, I never even RTFM to learn how to use it or what it does -- yeah, it's that important.

I have used the greater memory capacity (15hr vs. 7hr, IIRC), however, during a team training camp away from my download PC. That's another CPU difference you didn't mention above.

Glad you pointed that out- I didn't know about the memory difference.

So you've never needed the peak power? I've since read that it might be used when calculating FTP, but I'm not sure about this.
Any ideas at all about what onboard analysis is for?