Powertap erratic / stop start reading

downsland

Nov 9, 2004
I fitted my powertap hub today, I receive an intermittent signal from the sender unit to the computer.

The symptoms are - I start riding, the power reading goes up 'sensibly' then the signal appears to be lost and the power reading goes to 0. The little top left hand corner transmission icon also disappears.

Then it comes back again. I have put new batteries in the hub and it is just the same. My two thoughts were that there was some electrical interference or that the sender unit is the incorrect distance from the hub (although I did move it around and it didn't appear to make any difference).

Has anybody had any experience of intermittent readings?

downsland said:

9/10 times it's the head batteries, not the hub. Buy an extra two pack of the 2032s and keep em in your seat pack.

downsland said:
I fitted my powertap hub today, I receive an intermittent signal from the sender unit to the computer.

The symptoms are - I start riding, the power reading goes up 'sensibly' then the signal appears to be lost and the power reading goes to 0. The little top left hand corner transmission icon also disappears.

Then it comes back again. I have put new batteries in the hub and it is just the same. My two thoughts were that there was some electrical interference or that the sender unit is the incorrect distance from the hub (although I did move it around and it didn't appear to make any difference).

It sounds like you have the reciever placed at an incorrect distance from the hub. Check the instructions. The distance is critical and it varies depending on when your system was built.

yellow rabbit said:
It sounds like you have the reciever placed at an incorrect distance from the hub. Check the instructions. The distance is critical and it varies depending on when your system was built.
Thanks - My serial number is below 27383 so the instruction manual says 7" from the hub. I'll relocate it and see how it goes.

downsland said:
Thanks - My serial number is below 27383 so the instruction manual says 7" from the hub. I'll relocate it and see how it goes.
If anybody is interested.....I found the source of the problem. I still had a Polar wireless cadence sensor on the same bike. As soon as I took this off....the power tap worked fine.
Time to do some training....
Thanks to everybody for their advice