Powertap G3 hub

3weight

Jan 8, 2013
I've been having issues with my Powertap G3 hub. I've been informed by customer service that you cannot update the hub's firmware using a Mac (this information was nowhere to be found on their website).
Just wanted to put that out there for any Mac users that might be interested in the new Powertaps.

I've given up on pt's. Just broke my second one. Stopped working for no reason, replaced batteries...zippo. They are a waste of money. Just need to find a good deal on a quarq now Paul

Huh. I had +5k miles on my wired powertap and +2.5k on my G3...no complaints. I haven't needed to update firmware either. The units have been solid for me, besides changing batteries once a season or so. What improvements does the firmware update include?

Chuck

tempting fate now but will >10k miles on my PT Pro+ I'm still a very happy user. All weathers and conditions and other than batteries at regular intervals and the very slightest sign of bearing wear now I've not experienced issues. Not sure what firmware updates might bring either?

Having said that I'm just waiting delivery of my Rotor PM any day so I can use it on different bikes and have my choice of wheels back, so am hoping this proves just as reliable.

Originally Posted by renderman5000 .

Huh. I had +5k miles on my wired powertap and +2.5k on my G3...no complaints. I haven't needed to update firmware either. The units have been solid for me, besides changing batteries once a season or so. What improvements does the firmware update include?

Chuck
Chuck, the firmware fixes a few minor glitches but most imprtantly fixes the issue many G3's have with batteries being drained very quickly. Something to do with the hub not going to sleep. There was another issue with the low battery warning being set too high or something along those lines. If your batteries are lasting a season you don't have a problem.

Re powertaps in general: I've got a PT pro which is over 2 years old and hasn't missed a beat. I've recently purchased a G3 and so far it's very accurate and reliable.

I updated firmware on mine in January. I had a low battery warning with mine and swapped the battery and bumped firmware at the same time.

By the way, the 3.0V battery measured 2.85V, which did not seem "all that low". So, perhaps a bad threshold or a overly aggressive "low battery" algorithm rather than excessive consumption.