powertap g3 registering low power

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by fmttm2004, Jan 8, 2013.

1. fmttm2004

fmttm2004 New Member

I just got my powertap g3 two weeks ago and, so far, have used it only on the trainer. This morning, I could only get it to register 5-7 Watts. I'm a triathlete and use a Garmin Forerunner 910xt for collecting the data. I went into the settings and recalibrated it 3 or 4 times before I got it to return to the usual power readings I'm used to seeing thus far. I'm extremely new at this stuff. What could have happened? Also, during one reset of the forerunner to the G3, it started giving me crazy high wattage (12-1300W?!?!) Any support would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jason

Tags:

2. Conan

Conan New Member

What offset are you getting when you calibrate? I had a similar problem with very low wattage. I had a calibration reading of -6000 or therabouts (should be around 500-524). Apparantly low batteries can do this so I changed the batteries and the problem resolved itself. Some of these issues have been fixed via the latest firmware so you should update your firmware via the poweragent softwear (available via cycleops/Saris). The upgrade is easy to do; however i had some issues with the firware reverting back to the old version. I contacted Saris and was told the issue is common and I should do the upgrade with the battery installed. I tried this and the upgrade wouldn't start. I ended up removing the battery, connecting the cable to my pc, run the upgrade, then re-install the battery before disconnecting from the computer. This fixed the problem. Good luck!