PowerTap Head Unit on the fritz..

doctorSpoc

Nov 18, 2005
i've sent an email to Saris describing the problem but i thought i'd ask here as well..

over the past weeks my power tap head unit has been malfunctioning.

one day i went for a ride with powerTap and in cradle i pressed the two buttons to zero it and the unit went blank and didn't come back on even with additional button presses. after riding for about 15 mins the unit came on and appeared to be working properly, but then i noticed it was periodically reading "full" and "data" on the last line of the display. This also happened on other days when using the unit in cyclo-computer mode with regular wheel and magnet on rear wheel. this leads me to believe that this is strictly a problem with the head unit and not the hub.

when i try to download the file it starts to download, gets to 256 records then responds with an error... "no more data.." or something like that.

zeroing the unit still always results in the unit screen going blank and the unit becoming unresponsive to button presses for about 15min.. same behavior as describe above and download is still not possible.

Maybe try pulling out the battery for a minute and thus resetting it? Worth a try. You will have to re-enter your preferred settings though (wheel circumference, etc.).

DennistheMennis said:
Maybe try pulling out the battery for a minute and thus resetting it? Worth a try. You will have to re-enter your preferred settings though (wheel circumference, etc.).
Thanks for the reply,

Saris got back to me and said to update the firmware (corrupted maybe..? they didn't say)... haven't tried it yet.

I had quite a few problems with my unit, but yours is different. However, the firmware might help. Did you try a new battery?

azdroptop said:
I had quite a few problems with my unit, but yours is different. However, the firmware might help. Did you try a new battery?

i had tried the new battery with no luck, but updating the firmware seems to have done the trick... working fine now.. took me a while to try it since i had to buy a new USB cradle.. the software wouldn't work with the serial port cable that i had.

thanks.