PowerTap heart rate monitor problems

bluez28zr2

Mar 26, 2004
I got a used PowerTap for my birthday last year and couldn’t get the heart rate monitor working. I tried replacing the battery, but that didn’t help. Well this year I got a new heart rate monitor for my birthday, and guess what. That doesn’t work either. I’ve always used saliva on the electrode pads for my past Polar monitors and haven’t had any problems. Does anyone out there use the cream you can get from those online stores? Or even better had a similar problem and was resolved by taking certain steps. Please help!!!

bluez28zr2 said:
I got a used PowerTap for my birthday last year and couldn’t get the heart rate monitor working. I tried replacing the battery, but that didn’t help. Well this year I got a new heart rate monitor for my birthday, and guess what. That doesn’t work either. I’ve always used saliva on the electrode pads for my past Polar monitors and haven’t had any problems. Does anyone out there use the cream you can get from those online stores? Or even better had a similar problem and was resolved by taking certain steps. Please help!!!
spit usually works for me... but i've heard that KY Jelly is bascially what's in those specialty cream and you can get it at the corner pharmacy for cheap... the HR monitoring on the PT is complete ****...

bluez28zr2 said:
So are you saying the PowerTap CPU doesn't pick up the heart rate strap transmission or something else? Your posting is a little unclear. If this is the problem, call Saris.

bluez28zr2 said:
Coded Polar HR straps generally don't work with the PT. Occasionally they will. Are you using the PT's HR strap or another type?

There is also a diagnostic test for the PT CPU listed in their manual (download from Saris) you can check to see if HR function is operating properly.

The PT HR receiver works with either the PT or Polar or Ciclio HR straps (uncoded) and probably works with anybody else's because I'm pretty sure the receivers receive the same range of RF frequencies. PT's HR receiver has been a weak link in the CPU, so it's probably shot. It's also probably out of warranty now, but the good news is that a replacement CPU is pretty cheap (somewhere around $100 IIRC). If yours is not working, they may cut you a deal on the price of a replacement CPU or, who knows, they may ignore the warranty expiration and send you a new one for goodwill.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I tried the KJ jelly (don't tell my wife) and that didn't work. It is a Powertap chest strap. It's strange that such a complex piece of equipment can lack in such the basic ways. But hey, even NASA has problems. I hope the guilt trip will work Rapdaddy.
Take care all!

bluez28zr2 said:
I hope the guilt trip will work Rapdaddy.
What you have going for you is that this is a known weakness of the system. When you tell them that your HR receiver on the computer appears to receive no signal from the HR strap even with fresh batteries in both, this will come as no surprise to them. Hopefully, they will offer to replace the computer at no charge.

We are aware of the heart rate issues that can occurr with the wired PowerTaps. The issue surrounds the heart rate receiver inside the computer, not the strap, and is difficult to fix without sourcingn new parts and makng a design change which has taken some time.

The wireless system uses a completely different technology and is very robust.

The wired system will benefit from this technology in March when we migrate to coded heart rate across all models.

If you are having heart rate issues please contact our customer service department to discuss a course of action.

powertap said:
We are aware of the heart rate issues that can occurr with the wired PowerTaps. The issue surrounds the heart rate receiver inside the computer, not the strap, and is difficult to fix without sourcingn new parts and makng a design change which has taken some time.

The wireless system uses a completely different technology and is very robust.

The wired system will benefit from this technology in March when we migrate to coded heart rate across all models.

If you are having heart rate issues please contact our customer service department to discuss a course of action.
But I'm guessing that that means we will have to buy a new computer with the new technology to replace our old faulty equipment at our cost? Any chance of a reduced price or something like that for existing users?

rjjasick said:
But I'm guessing that that means we will have to buy a new computer with the new technology to replace our old faulty equipment at our cost? Any chance of a reduced price or something like that for existing users?
There will more than likely be a reduced cost in place for faulty units out of warranty. Units in warranty will of course be replaced with the new technology when it is available.

I just called Saris about my PT SL HR issues and without even asking, they asked for my address and are sending me out a new PT and cadence sensor.

To explain the cadence sensor, I was trying to do a max cadence test for myself and cadence stopped reading then popped on at 45 cadence (i was easily past 180 by this time).

I got to give it up to them for there unreal customer service. To add to that they are not expecting to return of my PC till after I receive the new unit.

Ray

rayhuang said:
I just called Saris about my PT SL HR issues and without even asking, they asked for my address and are sending me out a new PT and cadence sensor.

To explain the cadence sensor, I was trying to do a max cadence test for myself and cadence stopped reading then popped on at 45 cadence (i was easily past 180 by this time).

I got to give it up to them for there unreal customer service. To add to that they are not expecting to return of my PC till after I receive the new unit.

Ray
FYI, the cadence issue is probably unrelated to the HR issue. If your PT is set up to get cadence from the hub, I think it maxes out at 150rpm. If you have the cadence pickup installed on your frame, you can switch the computer to get cadence from the crank only (they call it "pedal") or the hub/crank (can't remember the priority). I leave mine set to crank only because I regularly exceed 150rpm.

Your experience with Saris customer support is consistent with mine. They really support their product.

RapDaddyo said:
FYI, the cadence issue is probably unrelated to the HR issue. If your PT is set up to get cadence from the hub, I think it maxes out at 150rpm. If you have the cadence pickup installed on your frame, you can switch the computer to get cadence from the crank only (they call it "pedal") or the hub/crank (can't remember the priority). I leave mine set to crank only because I regularly exceed 150rpm.

Your experience with Saris customer support is consistent with mine. They really support their product.
They sent a new pick-up for the pedal-I should have been more clear on that. I thought maybe I had inadvertantly chnaged from pedal to hub myself-lol, but I checked and it was set to pedal.

The PT HR monitor is working great with a new PC. I havent installed the new cadence pick-up yet as I want to completely redo my wiring, but it is a different design (looking anyways) so I hope it solves the cadence issue.

I wanted to take a second to thank PowerTap and everyone that contributed to this post. I just received my early X-mas present via PowerTap in the mail today. What an unbelievable customer service this company has. Top class, I have never dealt with a better company. I have been and always will be a huge proponent for this company.
Take care all!

:D

I am still having problems with my updated computer with long dropouts in HR..ho hum. I will try changing batteries in the strap again just in case. I get drop outs all over the place indoors, outdoors with and without power lines above, etc.... and then I get a ride where it doesnt miss a beat!!

I agree-great CS form Saris, just might have to call them agin after my own process of elimination has concluded.

rayhuang said:
I am still having problems with my updated computer with long dropouts in HR..ho hum. I will try changing batteries in the strap again just in case. I get drop outs all over the place indoors, outdoors with and without power lines above, etc.... and then I get a ride where it doesnt miss a beat!!

I agree-great CS form Saris, just might have to call them agin after my own process of elimination has concluded.
The permanent solution is the coded receiver that they put in the SL2.4. Hopefully, they will upgrade the SL computer with this new receiver. If so, I hope they cut a special deal for those with HR receiver problems since it has been a chronic problem for an otherwise sound product.

RapDaddyo said:
The permanent solution is the coded receiver that they put in the SL2.4. Hopefully, they will upgrade the SL computer with this new receiver. If so, I hope they cut a special deal for those with HR receiver problems since it has been a chronic problem for an otherwise sound product.
I don't think coded heart rate straps is a be all end all solution to dropouts as there are multiple issues causing it. I have had plenty of this issue with coded Polar products.

Woofer said:
I don't think coded heart rate straps is a be all end all solution to dropouts as there are multiple issues causing it. I have had plenty of this issue with coded Polar products.
No, it's not the coding. It's a completely new HR receiver chip in the SL2.4. It just happens to be coded.