PowerTap Heart Rate Sensing...

Terry Ferguson

May 15, 2006
Made a small discovery today for those that have trouble with the PT picking up a HR signal. Took just the head unit (and strap) to spin class today and just set it on top of the 'stem'. Whenever I stood up it would quit receiving. Played with it a bit and discovered that the sensor definitely works much better when the bottom of the CPU is pointed at the transmitter. If you are having trouble on the bike, tilt the CPU forward so that the bottom points more towards the strap and see if that helps. - TF

How is this possible? I'm assuming you must mount yours on the handlebars instead of the stem, then, correct? Most people mount theirs on the stem.

Terry Ferguson said:
Made a small discovery today for those that have trouble with the PT picking up a HR signal. Took just the head unit (and strap) to spin class today and just set it on top of the 'stem'. Whenever I stood up it would quit receiving. Played with it a bit and discovered that the sensor definitely works much better when the bottom of the CPU is pointed at the transmitter. If you are having trouble on the bike, tilt the CPU forward so that the bottom points more towards the strap and see if that helps. - TF

Steelhead said:
How is this possible? I'm assuming you must mount yours on the handlebars instead of the stem, then, correct? Most people mount theirs on the stem.
When I made the 'discovery', I simply had it laying on top of the flat stem on a spin bike - not mounted at all (don't need the mount for HR only). When standing and having the face towards the strap, I would have to be within inches to get a reading. With the bottom pointed at the strap, I couldn't get it far enough away to make it stop receiving.

On the bike, agree that for a stem mount you would have to rig something. You could also bar mount it for a trial and see if it cures the problem first.

TF