Powertap Lifespan?

nojiri

Sep 17, 2003
I'm thinking of building up a Powertap SL 2.4 wheel with a Velocity Aerohead OC rim and Sapim CX-Ray spokes for training and racing, but I'm wondering what to expect for its lifespan. Here are a couple of questions if you guys don't mind letting me know about your experience with Powertaps:

1) Which model(s) do you have?
2) How long, or how many miles have you had them?
3) Are they still functioning 100%?
4) Have you had any die?
5) Would you buy them again?

Thanks! Cheers! - nojiri

nojiri said:
I'm thinking of building up a Powertap SL 2.4 wheel with a Velocity Aerohead OC rim and Sapim CX-Ray spokes for training and racing, but I'm wondering what to expect for its lifespan. Here are a couple of questions if you guys don't mind letting me know about your experience with Powertaps:

4) Have you had any die?

Thanks! Cheers! - nojiri
PoweTap SL. 3 years old, probably 1,500 hours of use.

I'm on my 3rd wiring harness, 2nd computer head. Wheel is fine, but the battery carrier interface is getting a bit wobbly. Bearings are ready for a re-do. I'll probably send it back this fall for a re-build of bearings and to check the hardward. I've only recently started to get some signal drops.

nojiri said:
4) Have you had any die?

Thanks! Cheers! - nojiri
1) - 3*PT SL(wired) and 1*Pro units(track bike)
2) - I've had one set of ~ 22 months, the others ~ 1 year the newer units are mounted on race wheels and have fewer total miles. All were purchased used so I don't know total miles but based on who I bought them from and what I've ridden since I'd estimate 10000 miles on the training set and ~ 1000-1500 miles on the race wheels combined.
3) - All are currently working fine and torque tested to <1.5% error
4) - Yes I had one hub die last fall(the high mileage unit). I sent it back to Saris, out of warranty, and they repaired it completely for ~ $130 US. It came back in about a week and a half and looked brand new and has functioned fine ever since.
5) - Yes, no doubt. I'm pretty much hooked on the wired version since I've got the harnesses on my bikes already and have a few sets of wheels. I do have the newer 2.4 wired computer which definitely has a better HRM receiver but otherwise seems pretty much the same.

-Dave

Have had an early model (Graber vintage) since late 1999. No problems that I haven't been able to sort out myself very easily. I never even experienced any moisture related troubles, even though I was caught in rain a few times. Have now converted this one with a Surley Fixxer (with Wheelbuilder.com axle) and it's still going good.

Also have an almost 2 year old SL, which has again been trouble free. Only problem I have had was the bottom 1/3rd of numbers on CPU going missing after dropping it on a concrete floor. Still works fine, but leaves me guessing sometimes out the road. Downloads are fine though.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you getting hold of a PT. It's been the most valuable training tool you could imagine.

Mike

nojiri said:

3 x PT Pro (two road, one m/b)
2004 PT Pro - 20,000-30,000 km (only had cones adjusted at shop)
2006 PT Pro - 10,000-15,000 km indoor use (cones adjusted)
2005 PT Pro m/b - 10,000-15,000 km (back for repair to torque tube once - minimal charge despite o/o warranty)
They are now !
4) Have you had any die?
Just the m/b one. Lots of wet, salty road etc. now I've gone thru five harnesses I'd wager and a couple of CPU's.
Yes - probably the SL now but I've no issue with some wires. good customer service IMHO.

Thanks! Cheers! - nojiri

Mike Lawson said:
Have had an early model (Graber vintage) since late 1999. No problems that I haven't been able to sort out myself very easily. I never even experienced any moisture related troubles, even though I was caught in rain a few times. Have now converted this one with a Surley Fixxer (with Wheelbuilder.com axle) and it's still going good.

Also have an almost 2 year old SL, which has again been trouble free. Only problem I have had was the bottom 1/3rd of numbers on CPU going missing after dropping it on a concrete floor. Still works fine, but leaves me guessing sometimes out the road. Downloads are fine though.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you getting hold of a PT. It's been the most valuable training tool you could imagine.

Mike
Hi Mike, welcome aboard!! Good luck at the Nats - another pursuit podium for you? Sorry I missed doing your pursuit scheduling at the States, I had so much going on I simply missed it. :eek:

Mike has been using a PT probably longer than anyone I know!

I have 3 PTs:

2 of the very early model SLs which both failed after a handful of months and were replaced free of charge with newer models which have been fine ever since.

1 PT pro (legacy) converted to fixed gear track use which required a service return (power readings became unusual, possibly following a crash on the track) - again service completed free of charge.

I also have a couple of SRMs in the waiting for use. 1 Road Pro (PCV) and 1 Track.

nojiri said:

PT 2.4 SL
9000 miles
Yes
4) Have you had any die?
Bearings got loose after 6K miles. Wheel was fixed under warranty and they also updated the internals as mine was an early unit.
Yes, at least until something better comes along.

Thanks! Cheers! - nojiri
see above