powertap misreading

velomanct

Dec 21, 2003
i had to re-zero the torque on my powertap pro 4 times on todays 70 mile ride. what's the deal? can't they make a powermeter that doesnt get all screwy? i was trying to get an accurate reading for my average power during the tempo workout. it seems that the torque reading gets thrown off if i take a corner real hard or hit potholes.

does anyone else have this problem? it's really annoying because it totally throws your data off and makes it useless.

:mad:

velomanct said:
i had to re-zero the torque on my powertap pro 4 times on todays 70 mile ride. what's the deal? can't they make a powermeter that doesnt get all screwy? i was trying to get an accurate reading for my average power during the tempo workout. it seems that the torque reading gets thrown off if i take a corner real hard or hit potholes.

does anyone else have this problem? it's really annoying because it totally throws your data off and makes it useless.

:mad:
Did the temperature vary? Are you using a SL hub? Supposedly some of the SL hubs are very temperature sensitive. If that is not what you have you probably need to send your hub in for repair. The zero floating all over the place is usually an indicator of a bad torque tube. I have a couple of wheels and I just swap the wheels to see if the problem goes away. Then I try changing the batteries just in case to see if that helps the bad wheel. At that point there's not much else you can do except get some work done on the wheel.

Velomanct-the diabolical thing about your post is that right below it there is an add that suggests buying a PowerTap by clicking an image!
Maybe the site programers should keep such adds away from all the negative feedback for this product. Or block the feedback.
Everyone should be aware that this is a sponsored website and it's no holds barred on conflicts of interest in recommending products and services.

its a complete powertap pro setup, no SL hub. I have had it for about 16 months now.
if the problem persists i will have to send it to Graber for repair.

i hate how it tricks you into thinking you are super strong! haha. gee, 400watts sure does feel easy! oh dammit, it's not zero-ed!!!

yeh that add does look funny there

velomanct said:
its a complete powertap pro setup, no SL hub. I have had it for about 16 months now.
if the problem persists i will have to send it to Graber for repair.

i hate how it tricks you into thinking you are super strong! haha. gee, 400watts sure does feel easy! oh dammit, it's not zero-ed!!!

yeh that add does look funny there
Had that problem. It was a bad torque tube. Don't ask me what that is! I had to send it back to Graber. They covered it under warranty, but it took a few months to get it back (although they promissed a one week turn around).