Powertap Not reading Power!

Roadie_scum

Nov 14, 2003
I get a display rather than a --- and it reads speed fine. Power is always 0 though. I don't think I've lost that much fitness. Send the wheel back? Any suggestions?

Roadie_scum said:
I get a display rather than a --- and it reads speed fine. Power is always 0 though. I don't think I've lost that much fitness. Send the wheel back? Any suggestions?

Sounds like a issue I had. I was doing an interval, held down select and lost power had a 0. It was in cycling mode or non power mode, I had no icon either(or did I?). I called Saris and they told me what to do, I cant remember, but make sure that's not the case first. I hope thats your problem, good luck.

Roadie_scum said:
Hold both buttons down and go to set-up. Go to menu 4 and make sure watts is displayed under Pro. You must have held the select menu button down for a few seconds while in cadence and put the computer in cycle computer mode.

zaskar said:
Sounds like a issue I had. I was doing an interval, held down select and lost power had a 0. It was in cycling mode or non power mode, I had no icon either(or did I?). I called Saris and they told me what to do, I cant remember, but make sure that's not the case first. I hope thats your problem, good luck.

Shawneebiker said:
Hold both buttons down and go to set-up. Go to menu 4 and make sure watts is displayed under Pro. You must have held the select menu button down for a few seconds while in cadence and put the computer in cycle computer mode.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Turns out this is not the problem - swapping wheels solves it despite using the same CPU, so it ain't CPU settings. Any other ideas?

Roadie_scum said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Turns out this is not the problem - swapping wheels solves it despite using the same CPU, so it ain't CPU settings. Any other ideas?
Maybe the hub battery contacts aren't making contact with the batteries?

Shawneebiker said:
Maybe the hub battery contacts aren't making contact with the batteries?
It's transmitting or he wouldn't get the speed. Have you zeroed the torque? - TF

Roadie_scum said:
I had an identical problem a while ago and it was due to a bad torque tube. Try this: turn the CPU on, spin the wheel to get it transmitting, then manually zero the torque. If it still is not displaying power, then go into test mode, screen 6 (look in the PT manual if you don't know how to do this) and check the bottom display number, which is the torque offset value. It should be a number somewhere in the low 500's (there is an exact range of acceptable values, which I can't remember, but I think it something like 505-525). If your number is outside this range then the hub has to go back to Saris. By the way, when I did this, my number was something like 300.