Powertap on Ksyrium wheels? (may be dumb question)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by xGTGx, May 10, 2006.

1. xGTGx

xGTGx New Member

This may be a completely dumb question, but can you put a powertap on Mavic Ksyrium wheels?

Looks like Ksyrium wheels have 20 spokes rear and powertaps only come in as few as 24 hole configurations... so that means they're incompatible, right?

I am pretty sold on a set of Ksyrium SL's as my new wheelset, but I'd like to add the Powertap either now or in the somewhat near future. I've started looking at Zipp 303's as an alternative (besides, I'm absolutely fascinated with aerodynamics) but really don't think I can justify the expense, especially for the primary purpose of adding another extremely expensive toy on top (i.e. K-SL2's run me $675 vs. nearly $2000 for a set of 303's with the PowerTap)

ah, what to do, what to do?!

-Grant-

Tags:

2. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

3. xGTGx

xGTGx New Member

Yea, but there's the same problem as the Zipps - it's just much more expensive.

I guess it's really not - if I were talking about buying a $700 wheelset now and adding a $1000 powertap later - it'd come to the same ballpark price, so I guess the question is whether I really feel like I need aggressive aero wheels... Which I can't really convince myself of.

-Grant-

4. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Most of the Hed wheels that come with a PT hub are faster (and cheaper) than either the Krysium or Zipp 303. The PT hub option is less than $1K. You can get recent wind tunnel test data at the biketechreview site. Costs ~$20.

5. Dini77

Dini77 New Member

This sounds like me a while back, but in my case i had the SL's already and was looking for a wheel that was a good all rounder training/race wheel. If you get the Kysrium's now, it's going to cost you more $$ when you decide to get the PT - IMO better off getting wheel and PT in 1 hit.

I got a PT SL hub laced with CX-Ray spokes on a DT Swiss RR wheel. Not as flashy looking as Kysrium, but every bit as good (if not better IMO). Excellent all round wheelset.