Powertap Power Averaging Display Settings For TT Or Intervals

82zman

Mar 27, 2006
Those of you who are experienced TTers and use a powertap, which power averaging display settings works best for a TT event or intervals? Currently mine is set to 2 secs but I am wondering if 5 sec would be better? Today on the trainer (severe storms in my area) I was doing intervals and ran up against the aliasing effect which is well documented on this forum. My cadence does not fit nicely in the 1.26 sec recording interval

After I am rid of this wicked cold I want to do a outdoor 20 minute threshold test. I had previous did one one a trainer and I was wondering if pacing is easier with the display set at 5 sec?

3-5 seconds.

On a slight tangent, it appears Saris might have changed the sampling interval for the PT+ models. On my older PT Pro, the data points do reflect a 1.26 second interval, but on the Pro+ model that I got this year they are within a few thousandths of 1 second. Anyone else noticed that or know that my observations are wrong there?

82zman said:
Those of you who are experienced TTers and use a powertap, which power averaging display settings works best for a TT event or intervals? Currently mine is set to 2 secs but I am wondering if 5 sec would be better? Today on the trainer (severe storms in my area) I was doing intervals and ran up against the aliasing effect which is well documented on this forum. My cadence does not fit nicely in the 1.26 sec recording interval

After I am rid of this wicked cold I want to do a outdoor 20 minute threshold test. I had previous did one one a trainer and I was wondering if pacing is easier with the display set at 5 sec?
Head to the back of the class and wear the big pointy hat with a huge letter D (for dunce) on it.

Apparently Swampy abandons his workouts if he gets the sniffles, You can still can get moderate work done with a cold despite not being quite 100%. Furthermore there is plenty of research regarding aerobic exercise with a URI (see below). Yes perhaps I should have stated that the intervals I was doing were throttled back. I prefer to be 100% when I do a LT test for best results, doesn't everyone?. That was the point I was trying to make that got lumped into the "Dunce" category.

Although new to cycling I have completed more than a few sub 3 hour marathons and there were plenty of colds in there. After a while one gets pretty skilled at determining whether or not a workout should be abandoned.

Since this thread has taken on a new direction here is a good study on the exercising with a cold so I am not going to grab that dunce cap just yet.

The effect of exercise training on the severity and duration of a viral upper respiratory illness.
Clinical Sciences

Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 30(11):1578-1583, November 1998.
WEIDNER, THOMAS G.; CRANSTON, TRACY; SCHURR, TERRY; KAMINSKY, LEONARD A.
Abstract:
The effect of exercise training on the severity and duration of a viral upper respiratory illness. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 30, No. 11, pp. 1578-1583, 1998.

Purpose: The purpose of this investigation was to determine whether exercise training affects the severity and duration of a rhinovirus-caused upper respiratory illness (URI).

Methods: Subjects who were rhinovirus 16 (RV 16) antibody-free completed a graded exercise test. Thirty-four individuals (ages 18-29 yr) of moderate fitness (32 mL[middle dot]kg-1[middle dot]min-1 to 60 mL[middle dot]kg-1[middle dot]min-1) were randomly assigned to the exercise group (EX) while 16 additional individuals of similar age and fitness served as a nonexercise (NEX) control group. All EX and NEX subjects were inoculated with RV 16 on 2 consecutive days. EX subjects completed 40 min of supervised exercise every other day at 70% of heart rate (HR) reserve for a 10-d period. Every 12 h, all subjects completed a 13-item symptom severity checklist and a physical activity log. Used facial tissues were collected and weighed (symptom severity measure) during these same reporting periods.

Results: A two group by nine measure (2 x 9) repeated measures ANOVA procedure showed no difference in symptom questionnaire mean scores and the mucous weights of the EX and NEX groups for days 2-10 of the experiment. A two measure by five measure (2 x 5) repeated measures ANOVA procedure indicated no differences between the pre- and post-exercise questionnaire means for the five sessions that EX subjects exercised. Statistical significance was set at P < 0.05.

Conclusion: These results suggest that moderate exercise training during a rhinovirus-caused URI under the conditions of this study design do not alter the severity and duration of the illness.

Would I stop training for the sniffles... no.

A wicked/heavy cold or one that could be a mild dose of the flu... yes.

I used to train through everything when I was much younger - but I'm a little more selective (and wiser) now.

Not desputing the research, but there's always the strong possibility that a cold develops because of a suppressed immune system (as opposed to being inoculated), so it becomes a sign that continued interval training may not be the best way to manage the illness.