powertap pro problem, can u help?

gooders

Jul 30, 2004
Hi
my powertap pro developed a problem this morning. see below my email to Saris who unfortunately have not see this problem before and suggest I change the hub batteries.
Does anyone else have any ideas.
Any help much appreciated! thanks Paul
Sent: 24 October 2006 13:59
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: Powertap Pro 2.21 problem

Hi
I have a problem with my Powertap pro 2.21
I completed my ride yesterday - last 15 mins in light rain. After the ride the Av Watts and Max Watts were no longer visible on the display. I downloaded the data and it all looked okay.
I plugged the computer to the handlebar mount and even though the bike was stationary the speed started coming up with crazy numbers. The watts continued to read _ _ _ no values
I reset the computer and set off.... the speed continued to give completely crazy readings - 45mph then 23mph the next second -though at the time I was going uphill at about 10mph! The Watts continued to read _ _ _ no readings.

Watts is written on the screen ie not in computer mode.
Any ideas as to the cause of the problem? I can't ride without my Powertap!!
many thanks
Paul

I Only saw stuff like this during a 12 hour race with 8-10 inches of rain. It would flip out briefly and go blank. I would stop and blow off the water that was apparently shorting out the electrodes and it would be fine for a while, until it got soaked again. But I imagine your wiring harness and computer head electrodes are dry by now.

Maybe water in the hub causing a similar issue. I have heard that that could cause malfunction, but not exactly what. I have also heard that the cover can be taken off and let dry out over night.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I flipped it to display torque and it was over 200. I zeroed the torque and its been fine ever since!.... strange though that the power/speed were okay on my ride the day before.

Anyway sorted now, thanks.

gooders said:
Thanks Jeff, I flipped it to display torque and it was over 200. I zeroed the torque and its been fine ever since!.... strange though that the power/speed were okay on my ride the day before.

Anyway sorted now, thanks.
I had the same thing happen after a rain ride. Watts--- and speed is 45mph when in the cradle without moving. I haven't tried zeroing the torque. Saris sent me another computer. Will try tomorrow to see if corrects.